Mass Effect 3 ending may hurt – but keep your saves

Friday, 3rd February 2012 00:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Not every Commander Shepard fan is going to be happy at the end of Mass Effect 3, but don’t put your hard drive out the airlock just yet.

Although the franchise is alost certain to continue, Mass Effect 3 is expected to end the current story arc, completing the adventures of Shepard, a prospect some gamers are a little concerned about – especially given BioWare’s liking for terribad endings.

“We want the outcomes to be satisfying to the player. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re all going to be happy or positive,” associate producer Mike Gamble told Gamerzines.

“It’s going to make some people extremely happy. It’s going to make some people angry,” he later told Eurogamer.

“But that’s part of it, right? To invoke the emotion putting some of these stories to bed will naturally bring up. I honestly think the player base is going to be really happy with the way we’ve done it. You had a part in it. Every decision you’ve made will impact how things go. The player’s also the architect of what happens.

“You’ll get answers to everything. That was one of the key things. Regardless of how we did everything, we had to say, yes, we’re going to provide some answers to these people.”

Regardless of what happens to your Commander Shepard, future games will have different protagonists – but Gamble hinted it might be worthwhile holding onto your save anyway.

“It wouldn’t be a bad idea. Obviously I can’t say anything, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea,” he said.

Some player scan’t envision a Mass Effect game without Shepard, but Gamble told OXM there are plenty of avenues to explore.

“Without going down any specific path, you can think of many, many different areas throughout the IP, throughout the history, where there are large wars to be won, large battles to be had, and a lot of development to be done around where these races came from, how they came about. We have so much to draw from,” he said.

Mass Effect 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March, with a demo this month.

Thanks, Shack, Evil Avatar.

1. BloodyJoe

If the ending is as bad such as LA Noire, Shepard or any of my beloved characters die I won’t fucking buy this game! I love Mass Effect 1&2 and they are all about pure badassdom. So I want to save the galaxy, send the reapers to hell an then retire with Liara and Miranda to Bora Bora. If they fuck it up I won’t buy it!

2. OrbitMonkey

Gee thanks Bioware!! After a not inconsiderable amount of my time and money in the franchise, I want a ending that leaves me angry, but satisfied!!

Oh wait, angry, but satisfied? Well that makes no sense at all! Your talking out your ass you silly man!

Save the bad endings for the edgy 2nd installment. NOT the 3rd installment you cock chomper!!

3. fearmonkey

I agree OM, We would like our hero to have a somewhat happy ending after all the sacrifice that character has endured. It can be emotional ala Babylon 5′s ending, which has sadness mingled with hope, and is also satisfying.

4. TheWulf

What makes Bioware’s writing so bad is that it’s clinical until it artificially isn’t. You can see where they’ve done things to cause a kneejerk reaction and they think that’s good storytelling, except that it isn’t. This is why when you think of good stories in RPGs, you don’t think of Bioware. Mask of the Betrayer, Planescape: Torment, Fallout: New Vegas, Bloodlines, and a number of RPGs that are renowned for good stories aren’t Bioware made.

Bioware is good at things, but writing is actually not one of them. This is why I wish Bioware would bring more writers on board, because their writers are fairly awful. See, the reason their endings are terribad is that instead of writing a story as a flowing, living thing, their writers seem to sit down and ask themselves “What will make these gamers FEEEEL?!”

Then they throw in some artificial element – like people dying for no good reason, where it even contradicts the plot – and even the most illiterate gamer can tell then that it’s bad writing, even if they don’t eloquently express it as such. RTD, in his Doctor Who run, was guilty of the same thing. He kept killing people off to try and make people emotional, but it never worked.

“There was no reason for that person to die according to the plot, RTD, I can see your emotional manipulations and they’re clumsy, awkward, and obvious. You are no Disney, RTD, nor will you ever be.”

And when it came to the ending of Mass Effect 2 and the arbitrary deaths, I just felt the same way. You know, hooray, arbitrary deaths that had no relation to the plot, just to make me feel! And that’s bad writing. I’m sure that at the end of Mass Effect 3 they’re just going to have Shepard die. There’s going to be a big funeral and everything, they’re going to shoot her body off out into space in a casket or something. And it’s going to supposed to be so emotional, but it’s going to be so predictable, so clinical, and so clumsily done that it’ll just be awkward and cringe-inducing rather than emotional.

This is why Bioware’s endings are terribad. It’s because they’re just not very good at this writing thing. Usually you expect an ending to be a conclusion – it’s supposed to be a culmination. Nothing about endings should ever be arbitrary. Including arbitrary elements in endings is a sign of people who’ve never actually had proper schooling on how to write a decent story. Because those arbitrary elements stick out like a sore thumb.

“And so, Shepard defeated the reapers and made the Universe a safe place to live in. But she died the next day because she stubbed her toe and got an infection. She will be missed. We will have a big ceremony for her and everything. What? Future medicines? You’re talking about toe infections! Are you crazy?!”

5. seek37

Probably going to be crap, their recent track record seems to point in that direction. BW already ruined the game once, and a “clarification” isn’t going to do much to fix anything. The premise is flawed, the story lacks more than is fixable by a few cut scenes imo. So rather than sit through another trashing of my used-to-be favorite game series, i’ll delete it myself and never look back. A merciful death is the least I could do. So ya, mass effect never ended for me since the developing company dissolved after releasing ME2 due to a failed attempt at relocating their headquarters to the moon, and there is nothing you can say to me to make me believe otherwise.