A few gameplay details dropped for The Last of Us

Friday, 3rd February 2012 14:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Scant details regarding gameplay in Naughty Dog’s upcoming actioner The Last of Us were released yesterday along with new screenshots from the game.

According to the entry from GameInformer, players will step into the shoes of Joel as he and Ellie go from place to place scavenging supplies and melee weapons, which will tend to break after repeated usage.

Don’t worry though, there are guns as well, in case the various screenshots posted from the game haven’t convinced you.

As far as Ellie is concerned, she will be controlled by AI not the player, and according to GI’s time playing a demo of the game, she “managed to keep up, yet stay out of the way.” That’s good news.

The first in-game screenshots were posted from the game yesterday, and if you weren’t convinced of their authenticity, Naughty Dog community strategist Arne Meyer’s comment on the PS Blog should hopefully dismiss any qualms you may be harboring.

“[The] screenshots [were] captured DIRECTLY from the gameplay demo we presented to Game Informer,” he said. “So yes, these are gameplay images, not trailer shots or high-res static renders.”

The Last of Us is slated for release sometime between the end of the year and early 2013.

1. Colin Gallacher

Looking forward to The Last Of Us more than any other title of the next year. :(

2. Dannybuoy

It’s pretty sad that the majority of chatter around this game has so far been about the use of in-game engine and bullshots etc. I guess the guys at ND are pretty chuffed that they have achieved a level that can actually confuse some people.

3. Edo

#2 Yeah…their games are very deep.

4. xino

this game may have amazing graphics, but i bet the gameplay will not be all that

5. osric90

Let it come 2013 please, I want something huge and unique and I really want to be faithful to Mass Effect 3 and others this year.

6. ultramega

Define gameplay. Because I can’t remember Naughty Dog ever releasing a game that wasn’t a ton of fun.

7. xxJPRACERxx

@6 I think Uncharted 3 wasn’t that fun. I even force myself to finish it.

8. KAP

Slap yourself in the face. Hard.

9. worntreads

At the very least U3 wasn’t as charming as U2. A number of times ND sacrificed gameplay for cinematic experience. Some love it, others, not so much. I have to say, I enjoyed the experience of U3 (co-op multiplayer with friends especially), but I hope they don’t go too far down the same road of heavy handed cinema integration.

10. TD_Monstrous69

@9 I see your point, but that admittingly didn’t bother me as much as it did you or some of the reviewer’s reviews I had read for Uncharted 3. I think if they had refined the new animation engine they were using for Uncharted 3 a little more (naimgly, character motion sometimes seasing up and Nathan Drake always tring to touch a wall that isn’t there when moving through close quarters), it could’ve been even better than it was, but still a great game none the less.
    The more and more I hear about The Last of Us, the more and more I want this game. To hear that those pics were direct in game footage, makes me think just two things; I hope that this truly lives to the hype that they’re creating for this, and that what they’re saying is true. Though judging from the looks of it, I’d say they’re in excellent shape. I wouldn’t mind if this came out at the end of this year (it’s already on my must buy list), but I really hope that they take as much time as they need to make this game, and if that meant an early 2013 release, then consider the space in my calendar already cleared.

11. absolutezero

Some moments in U3 severly tested my patience far more than anything in either of the previous 2 titles. Specifically the entire pirate boat part culminating in that massive twat with the gatling gun and armour, which you need some seriously stupid luck to get past (grabbing the grenade launcher from the guy that drops in and not dying instantly) and then again once you get the desert area where its wide open and theres about a hundred guys and another stupid armoured Gatling twat wandering about.

I actually stopped playing at that point and I have’nt gone back. Neither the story or characters were strong enough in comparison to the relationships from the first and second game (it being all about Sully this time instead of Elena or Ass McAss love triangle).

12. Dirk

Uncharted 3 was nowhere near as good as it should have been, I was expecting GOTY material but it wasn’t even close, I recall ND saying they wished they hadn’t put a release date on their trailer, I take that as meaning the game was rushed. It was great at times but clunky and annoying at other times.

The Last Of Us definitely looks interesting though.

13. IL DUCE

Sounds like an Enslaved/Dead Island hybrid to me…it will do well though since it’s Naughty Dog and they put some of the best looking game’s out there…

14. Gekidami

Full scans of the GI feature: