Remedy signs with Origin, brings Alan Wake as welcome gift

Thursday, 2nd February 2012 14:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA’s announced this afternoon a new list of partners for Origin, the main one being Alan Wake developer Remedy. The Finnish studio will bring the upcoming PC version of Wake to the service when it launches. The others who’ve also also signed up to Origin alongside Remedy are Iceberg Interactive, Strategy First, Macro Games, Selectsoft and Legendo Entertainment, who join initial third-party partners Warner, THQ, Capcom, Trion and Robot Entertainment.

EA announced last night that 9.3 million active Origin accounts for the marketplace.

1. Peetry

Good good, like to see some serious competition to Steam, personally I quite like Origin though admittedly it can be tedious. The library needs padding but that will come in time

2. loki

Origin suck more than steam
    Remedy suck too, AW fail on PC anyway
    You can sell it anywhere, but torrents will win anyway
    And you go bankrupt because your greed idiots

3. DSB

So does that mean Origin is going to start selling games carrying Steamworks?

Not the worst idea ever.

4. OlderGamer

Imagine just one console. Not the fanboy imagined nightmare, but instead just one system where the over whelming majority of gamers bought and played their games. No exclusive content deals. No worry that one franchise is not on your platform because someone else owns the IP.

Thats Steam. And I don’t want 5 different places to get my PC games. I want Steam. Period. The diverse console market is a mess. Timed releases. Paid exclusives. Some friends own this system, while others own that one. Lack of cross platform play.

I really don’t want that on my PC.

But if origin works, it will be exactly like a console biz model on PC. And expect it to get worse. If EA can make it work, surly Acti will want to carve out a slice of that pie for itself.

It is going to devide the PC market. Competition is not always a good or needed thing. There are three major living room consoles.

Has that created a steady decline in retail price of games?

Nope.

How about the sub 100usd console price, has that happened yet?

Nope.

I know; MS has droped the price of its online sevice?

Nope. Infact it has gone up, and Sony now offers a premium service too.

The video games market is a very tightly controled product. All pop up services will do to the PC market is split it into smaller peices and devide the comunity.

I feel the resurgence of the PC market has a lot to do with the power of Steam. If you want to weaken the PC market, you should inject multiple sources to undermine Steam. Lets see who might currently make squillions on Console games, and see a strong PC market as a threat? Hm? Could it be EA?

Just becareful what you wish for. Giants like EA want to control markets and protect their intrests. I wouldn’t put it past them to try and take down Steam. And if there were no Steam, where would games go? On consoles. Who is one of the worlds biggest Console publisher? EA.

Lastly, if EA wanted to capture the PC audiance, why do they pretty much only release console ports of their games to PC? Just incase you missed it, EA doesn’t want to grow the PC market, they want to kill it, and make some cash in the process.

5. TheWulf

I really dislike Origin and I won’t be putting too much money into it.

I’ve already found two very good reasons not to like it:

1. Origin installs its games not on the drive it’s installed to. If you move them, it means that you have to reinstall the entire game, you can’t just verify their integrity like with Steam. Bulletstorm had this problem, it absolutely wouldn’t run from its moved folder – whereas all my Steam games did just that on my new computer.

2. It’s horrifically insecure. It only allows 16 characters max for a password. What the eff were they thinking?! That’s like bending over and begging to be hacked all night long. If you don’t understand why this is a bad thing then check out this helpful illustration. Really, with money tied into it they NEED better security.

My Steam password is over 30 characters long. It’s a sentence that I’m privately familiar with and it works great as a password because it’s something that could never be brute-forced, but it is easy for me to remember.

3. Origin’s prices are genuinely a joke compared to Steam, anyway. They’ve only had one major sale that I can think of, so far, and the prices were pretty steep when compared to prior Steam sales. If they want to be able to stand side by side with Valve, then they need to stop being such greedy buggers. They need to be able to run a sale and offer some respectably impressive prices. I don’t think they can, though.

4. The UI is horrible. I prefer my games in a list format, but the font in Origin is tiny. Unlike Steam, I can’t edit the theme to adjust things as I see fit. Steam has had theming forever, possibly even since its inception. The reason this is important is because as a person with a visual disability that can’t be fixed by glasses, sometimes I need to bump font sizes up a bit. Origin, however, doesn’t allow that and it doesn’t even obey system font sizes. Terrible design.

They really need to fix all of these things before they can even think about competing with Steam. With 1 being the most important. Not having to redownload an entire game if something goes wrong is incredibly important. How could they have missed that?

6. TheWulf

But really, the password part of the above applies to everyone.

Please, guys, if you use Origin just be careful, okay? Use a generator to generate something completely random and use that as your pass. It’s really hard to make a 16 digit pass secure, and I know this as a techie.

I can see so many people getting hacked because of this. :|

7. DSB

@4 I wish I could disagree with you, but that was very well argued.

I don’t think EA are looking to “kill” Steam though. They’re just seeking to lower its marketshare as effectively as possible.

As long as Steam stays ahead of the competition when it comes to expanding their platform, I don’t think it risks going to the back of the bus.

On the bright side, Origin isn’t a very good client, it’s missing basic functionality, and while I’m sure they’ll make up for some of that, I don’t see EA suddenly becoming a “service” company that won’t want to save a few bucks by outsourcing everything from forum moderation to technical support.

I do think there’s a definite risk of a future where clients will be considered platforms in their own right, and that’s always going to hurt the gamer.

Sadly that’s the way of the world. More wants more. More control means more money, and very few people are willing to stand in the way of money.