First in-game screenshots released for The Last of Us

Thursday, 2nd February 2012 22:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Game Informer has gone live with the first in-game screenshots from Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us, as promised. Get them below the break. The game will be released sometime in late 2012 or early 2013.

1. Erthazus

Jesus Christ.
    Of course that trailer was pre render.

Oh man, Naughty Dog need new hardware. Fast. Textures and everything else is blegh… Such a shame.

2. Gekidami

Not much to go off, but i dont see any reason why it wouldnt look at least as good as UC3, and thats more than enough.

3. loki

looks very good

4. Kaufer

That truck needs some work.

5. Colin Gallacher

I just saw these on twitter 15 minutes ago. It looks incredible!

6. Erthazus

@4, not just a truck, but trees… Actually everything needs some work and it’s probably a hardware issue rather than ND problem.

7. Maxey

Game looks awesome.

Also I reckon this is going to be more of a free roam game than Uncharted with bigger maps to explore, so I suppose they need to spread the graphical detail a bit more thin than in those games, resulting in less detailed textures for some stuff, which is perfectly natural given the age of the hardware and it’s something we should be used to by now and not complain about like annoying scratched records.

8. Strandli

@Erthazus: “Duh…” They rendered the trailer in-engine, the same way they did for Uncharted. I thought that was made clear.

As for the screenshot… If it’s one thing Naughty Dog knows how to do, it’s making good looking hair.

9. Yoshi

Ladies ladies, I remember shots from Uncharted 3 that looked pretty shocking but as things progressed closer to the release we got some proper screenshots. So I’d take these screenshots like I did with those.

10. LOLshock94

@9 picture or it didnt happen

11. FeaturePreacher

I wonder what the online multiplayer will be like.

12. Maxey

Did they mention multiplayer at all for this game?

We barely have seen any SP footage as it is.

13. loveaya

I’ve spent more than 1000 hours on Uncharted and it continues. Naughty Dog is a really special staff for me. I always say: Only Naughty Dog can win over Naughty Dog. We’ll see for that. The Last Of Us will be surely awesome because of Naughty Dog!

14. mehdidante

ND are restricting themselves . they can make most selling games but first they need to consider other platforms .

15. Maxey

Sony owns Naughty Dog, not much they can do about that.

16. Dannybuoy

You’ve got to be shitting me… Those screens look excellent. Nit picking early screens is a bit much. I’m very pleased to see them myself.

17. Lounds

@Erth it’s early days yet, they haven’t polished the game up yet.

We’ve seen what they can do with UC2&3 and they won’t fail, best delv on PS3.

Atlest ND don’t edit and photoshop there screenshots like some delevopers.

18. DSB

Just remember: It’s NOT a zombie game.

It’s a braincontrolling fungus game. That’s entirely different.

19. minxamo

@17 You sure about that? Those screens look like an odd mix of concept art and actual screenshots.

20. freedoms_stain

They put a girls head on that dude’s body.

Trololol

21. absolutezero

Thats so hot.

So actualy game pictures released and it… looks like a game, yeah Im pretty sure thats a video game. I can tell from some of the pixels.

22. speedxl01

The second screenshot looks amazing, the other 2 are good too, the characters details are great, and the general composition.

And yes there are a lot of low-res texturing in some objects, but I don’t mind them much, there’s a lot of work left, to ship this game.

23. xxJPRACERxx

Nice but nothing great. And it’s not true PS3 screen shots since the PS3 can’t do that kind of anti-aliasing.

24. speedxl01

@xxJPRACERxx Haven’t you seen God of War 3?

25. Phoenixblight

Or any of the uncharted series since its from the same development studio.

26. osric90

In games graphics are just what in movies are FX. There’s still a script, photography, acting, sound, editing and lots of other aspects to appreciate in a game. And this, besides that awful truck, is looking pretty damn good. Stop shallowness, that shit brought WWII, you know?

27. HeavyD-Love

Looks fan-fucking-tastic!! The first comment here by Erth is a classic..he lives in opposite world where everything is backwards…

28. Johnny Cullen

GIMMIE! :3

29. Erthazus

@23, there is no anti aliasing lol.

If there was anti aliasing, game could look better 1000X times.

30. brotherhoodofthewolf

i was right about that trailer then.

31. jdfoster00

@1 @everyone This is a comment from Arne Meyer. In response to the screen shots.

“Fair enough that the aliasing isn’t representative, but you’re telling me can’t imagine some aliasing? I’m sure you can draw some in on MS paint :p

Colors, textures, models, lighting, shadows, that’s all exactly representative.

It’s not like we give GI 234098 by 123098 pixel screens or paintovers or CG renders. You’re kidding yourself if anybody else doesn’t give them PC resolutions or supersampled images either. Or at least wants to, if they can’t for some reason. It’s just sounding more like a tired argument these days to belittle the any game’s asset release. What’s the point?

I would see your point if we released some CG images as gameplay shots and the final product differed radically. A certain football game and off-road rally game both come to mind of perfect examples of what we don’t do.

I’m tempted to do a comparison of a 1x and 2x screenshot for you when the game is close to the end of development from our kits just to prove a point”

32. Fossa_

What a ridiculous thing to say Meyer, no you can’t imagine some anti-aliasing and call it representative of the end game. If its not viable to run AA on the hardware its exclusive to, then these screenshots aren’t worth that much. Smoothing out those jaggies makes an insane difference in quality, I can only imagine how good uncharted 3 would look if it ran with 8xAA.

33. Zana

Graphics, graphics, all about graphics… I really like the art direction. It’s not common to have zombie games under the bright sun.

34. xxJPRACERxx

@29 Look around polygon edges and there’s definitively AA.

35. Kalain

Looks nice.. but if it’s like the uncharted series, then it’s just a corridor game, so you can pull off some nice graphics since you really do not have much to render.

I’ll wait till I know more about the game, but currently I’m judging them on their previous games (which were not much good in my eyes anyway)

36. V

it’s fantastic
    but Interesting for me that is hair’s shader , until i didn’t see like this in any Games

37. Gekidami

Some pics of the mag here but the quality is piss poor:

Apparently the guy is planning to get some real scans done today, so hopefully we can get a better look soon.