RIFT Lite launches, play first 20 levels without restrictions

Wednesday, 1st February 2012 13:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Trion Worlds has announced the launch of RIFT Lite, which will allow those with a Trion account to play the first 20 levels if the MMO with zero restrictions.

Lite debuts alongside the update 1.7, Carnival of the Ascended, which features Ascended Weddings, PvP improvements, the new River of Souls Chronicle, a new Master Mode Dungeon, an Expert Dungeon overhaul, and better endgame equipment.

Carnival of the Ascended starts its initial stage today, and is a precursor to a World Event which kicks off in a few weeks and will include in-game events, special loot, prizes, and more.

“In the past ten months, Rift has evolved at a breakneck pace, through seven massive updates that set new expectations for live MMOs, in features, in content, and in service,” said executive producer and Trion COO Scott Hartsman.

“We think a Lite edition with no time limit is the best way for players to see what an amazing experience Rift continues to be.”

RIFT Lite is accessible across all servers.

Screens for update 1.7 are below.

1. Hcw87

I’d love to play this again, but i’ve forgot both my password AND security questions for my account. Can’t even remember setting up any sec questions after changing my password after their hacking intrusion a few months back.

2. OlderGamer

Sure hope this isn’t the step they take right before turning f2p.

3. GrimRita

I wonder just how important these ‘trials’ are. Blizzard have/had so much trouble with something like around 10-17% of those who did the trial actually take out a sub – very low numbers

I may go back to Rift but would have to start over since I sold all my stuff(weapons AND clothing!) of my toon and gave the rest of my stuff to my guild.

4. fearmonkey

Rift was fun, I enjoyed the time I spent in the game. I have played most of the MMO’s out there and i thought it was one of the best. For free, anyone interested in an MMO should give it a try.

5. Kalain

If only they did this last week, then I wouldn’t feel like I’ve wasted £15 buying it. Can’t really say the game gripped me. Yes it’s polished, but it’s so dull and boring.

In all honesty, I think they would be better going down the F2P road as it has proved to be a big success. Look at how Turbine handle Lotro and DDO. Since those games went F2P they have increased their revenue. F2P isn’t as bad as some people think, but then again, I think Lotro and DOO may be the exceptions..