En Messe: TERA to block IPs by region due to “hacking behaviour”

Tuesday, 31st January 2012 07:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

En Messe has said it will block IPs by region for the release of TERA, promising a crackdown on gold theft and account hacking.

It outlined its policy on the game’s support page ahead of the MMO’s upcoming launch.

“While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it’s unfortunate that the vast majority of internet traffic we see from these regions is from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior,” said En Messe.

And while initially it won’t lockdown on proxies, it will lockdown on them “if it becomes a popular tool for criminal behavior.”

TERA launches in May through En Messe in the US and Frogster in Europe.

Thanks, Massively.

1. DarkElfa

So I guess that’ll be Russian and China out.

2. TheWulf

It just sounds like discrimination to me.

You can have hackers from any part of the world, but yay, let’s be xenophobic and single out certain regions. This is what I really dislike about MMOs run like this.

In Champions Online, no matter where you are in the world, thanks to their proxy system you can connect to any server. Guild Wars, the original, allowed you to go into any region to play alongside your friends, and ANet have said that there won’t be lockouts in GW2.

So why is it necessary?

I just don’t see it, myself, and it irritates me. It sounds more like a case of “those filthy foreigners” than anything else. And if I want to play the game with my “filthy foreigner” friends? Too bad.

Yeah, no thanks.

3. OlderGamer

They should just do what Trion does with Rift. Coinlocking works great.

If my account gets logged on with a drastly different IP, the account gets locked. The hacker can not sell, destroy, trade or do anything bad to the account or its chars. When I log back on, should I be coinlocked, I just hit the ingame button, read my email, enter the randomly generated code into the game screen…and bang, I am unlocked and ready to go.

Better then the mess that I had to go thro with Blizzard and WoW(that took days if not weeks).

But tbh, I understand where they are coming from. They need to look at market size(sale of game vs pirated copy) and weigh that against hacking potential. Money vs risk/hassle. Games are a biz, no one is obligated to take their games to one region or another.

4. Phoenixblight

Blizzard uses a similar system in fact they did it before Rift. Anyways this won’t matter since Tera will not be releasing in the states due to their injunction by NCsoft.

5. OlderGamer

No they didn’t PB. Account hijacking is why I skipped Cati, and won’t log on to wow even today. They wanted me to pay when someone else used a fake CC to buy time on my account. And they wanted me to buy an authenticator thingie(we don’t all have smartphones). I ended up getting them to send me one for free, and to remove the so called charges against my account. But it took weeks. I will never go back to wow.

And depending on how much online nesecity Diablo III requires, if any, will determine if I even buy that.

I know you like to defend Blizz PB. Thats your choice. But I know what they did at my end. Rift was miles ahead of wow, esp in account security. Even at launch.

6. OlderGamer

Besides, i was just saying that instead of skipping regions, something like Trions coinlocking could be used.

I am also a fan of doing away with trading, buying, and selling between players, and making everything, EVERYTHING, account bound. If there is nothing of value to be traded or sold, there is a greatly reduced reason to be hacked.

7. absolutezero

I think the vast majority of people won’t notice the difference, gold sellers are’nt all exclusively in China. They are here right now standing in a major city spamming the fuck out of it and driving you insane.

I wonder if I could block the Swedish?

8. Phoenixblight

THey offered a Phone security thing for people the didn’t have an authenticator and thats exactly what that was it located your area of living if an IP come up that was vastly different then the one you had then they blocked it and called you. This was shortly after Cata release that it was officially released but before then it was in a beta state. Now its been implemented to both an authenticator and checking IP.

“Account hijacking is why I skipped Cati”

See you had left WOW prior to them doing that. Rift didn’t start doing that locking stuff until a month or two after release. Just stating facts if they so happen to support Blizzard then so be it but thats how facts work, their unbiased.

9. OlderGamer

PB, I tested Rift in Alpha and Beta, trust me, coinlocking was at work before they went live. It was one of the games selling features.

And yea I said Blizz had a cell phone thingie. It was an app(still is I’d imagine) but as for apps they are smartphone things. Which I had also said. You get so touchy when someone says something against wow. Wich I didn’t. I just said that Trions way of dealing with hackers is pretty good.

Which one(WoW or Rift) had that feature first is beside the point. My point was that Trion used a fairly good method. So good infact that it would seem that Blizzard copied it? ;) hehe

The point is, bagh you get the idea.

10. Phoenixblight

“And yea I said Blizz had a cell phone thingie. It was an app(still is I’d imagine) but as for apps they are smartphone things. Which I had also said. ”

Uh no this was not the smart phone app authenticator. This was a service you called and they captured your region so if someone had accessed it from china it would lock the account you would get a call from an automated service telling you so.

“You get so touchy when someone says something against wow.”

Uh no I don’t know what you think I act like when I am typing but I don’t get “touchey” or emotional about WOW. You just said RIft had it first when in fact they did not. Blizzard had started this service August prior to Cata(December 2010).

11. OlderGamer

I have zero recolection of said service were I could call blizz and and protect my account. I have been on the phone with them several times tho, trying to restore my account and toons. And I played right up till Cati launched. Like a week or so before. It was when I quit.

I am completly drawing a blank, sorry PB. I will just have to take your word for it. Still, it doesn’t change my premise of using something similar to what Trion does as a possible solution. However, till, all real world value is removed from online games(esp mmos) there will be hackers. I am in favor of account bound iteamization. Or even offering things such as in game gold, crafting iteams, etc as purchaseable iteams offered by the company running the game. This would offer a trustworthy and legit means for players strapped with time releated(or lazy releated) issues to obtain stuff.