Supergiant sends US airman in Afghanistan a physical copy of Bastion

Saturday, 28th January 2012 20:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A US airman in Afghanistan going by the name of Richard on Reddit, was given a really great present by Supergiant Games in the form of Bastion on disc. According to the military fellow, the internet speeds where he is deployed are terrible, and after trying to purchase the game through both Steam and D2D, he gave up, and wrote the developer to see if a retail copy would be released soon. In response, the studio’s creative director Greg Kasavin sent Richard an email stating that while there were no plans to release the game on disc, he was making an exception for him, considering the situation. Kasavin’s only request, was that Richard purchase the game through Steam when he finally gets to return home. Kudos, to Supergiant. This was very nice thing to do, indeed. Thanks, Neowin.

1. YoungZer0

I hope he learned his lesson. You don’t just go into a warzone without proper games.

2. reask

I bought this game having read a few peoples thoughts on it on this site.
    I have to admit I was not that impressed with it.

No big deal but some were saying it was a really top notch game.
    I am only a bit in to it I think I collected all the shards or whatever.
    Does it get better?
    I mean is it worth sticking with?

3. TheWulf

A brilliant game made by brilliant people – that’s all there is to say about that. These guys remind me of Wolfire (Overgrowth developer) with their antics, as they show respect to their customers and they tend to treat people with dignity. That’s what you can expect from an indie developer, I know, but it never stops being nice seeing it.

@2 – It sounds like you convinced yourself to slam the game before you even played it. Then you went on and played hours and hours of it, and you’re still trying to convince yourself that it’s a bad game even though your play time suggests otherwise.

You can only take being a hipster so far. If you like what you’re playing, keep playing it and don’t fib about it. If you don’t like it, stop playing.

4. Maximum Payne

”only request to purchase the game through Steam when he finally gets to return home”
    I don’t have comment.

5. DSB

Bastion is pretty overrated, but it’s still a truly great platformer.

This certainly doesn’t make me like it any less though.

6. xxJPRACERxx

I played the demo and didn’t like it. It was well made but I just didn’t have fun playing it. I bought it on the last Steam sales but didn’t even d/l it yet.

7. reask

@ 3.
    I really don,t know how you came to that conclusion tbh.
    I bought the game and found it to be just OK at best.
    I actually didn’t put hours in to it which is why I was asking did it get better.

I never said it was a bad game or otherwise so where is the slamming?
    You obviously loved it which is fair enough but I am sure there are games myself and others love that you would find meh.

The reason for so many different games I suppose.

8. YoungZer0

@2: Don’t think so, i played it for 3-4 hours and stopped. What you see is what you get. It doesn’t get more interesting.

The art-style is great, but the gameplay and story is boring.

Don’t see what the fuzz is all about. Recommend Magicka instead.

9. OlderGamer

I thought it was over rated too, tbh.