Rumor: Next Xbox contains Blu-ray, anti-used system

Wednesday, 25th January 2012 17:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

An industry source has told Kotaku that Microsoft’s next Xbox will contain Blu-ray as its disc technology, and that it’ll introduce Kinect 2; and that it’s to contain some kind of anti-used game technology.

Such support would be a substantial data storage upgrade over 360′s current DVD model, which can only support up to 9Gb max. Blu-ray, on the other hand, can support up to 25Gb on a single-layer disc, and up to 50Gb on dual-layer. Previous rumors peg the system to also ship with DVR functionality.

The source from the Kotaku report implied that Microsoft plans to incorporate an anti-used game application into the next Xbox. However, information on how such a scheme would be administered is unknown at this time.

Another chatterer has told Kotaku the next-generation of Kinect sensors will ship with the console, and that motion sensor will contain its own on-board processor – tech which was originally planned for the first iteration of Kinect.

The firm is also supposedly making the controller smaller than the one used with Xbox 360.

Add all of these rumors to yesterday’s, which stated the next Xbox would contain six times the processing power of 360, and you have a broader picture of what “Xbox 720″ is rumored to include under the hood. Maybe.

1. Talkar

What is an Xboxb? :D

Anyway, i don’t mind an anti-used games system. Gamestop/GAME or any other retailer selling used games, hoards all the money when they sell a used game. And the people who actually made the game doesn’t see a cent of that money. I would rather support the devs than some company scamming them.

2. Yoshi

I’m sorry but if Sony are stupid enough to give their one main advantage over to Xbox then they deserve to fail. Xbox with Blu-Ray can’t be true.

Secondly I very much doubt it’ll have a anti-used game system, if it’s true no retailer will want to sell Xbox games.

3. ManuOtaku

Seeing this picture make me wonder how come sony, microsoft and nintendo never look at this mods designed by the people and decide to make the console look like one of them, this picture is nice indeed IMO

4. loki

Hmmm
    Piracy on PC it is ok
    Used licence game on console not ok
    strange logic

5. Maximum Payne

I can’t wait for E3 so we can stop with this stupid rumors.
    Very hard to believe they will use Blu – ray or anti-used system.

Kinect 2 inside does make lot of sense IMO.

6. Stephany Nunneley

Okay, Internal Service errors have stopped. Tags are now back, as well as edits made the system did not apply – including the strange addition of something called an Xboxb.

7. OlderGamer

I was thinking the same thing Manu, cool mock up. Too good looking for a console tho.

8. freedoms_stain

@2, Sony only actually make up a tiny fraction of the BR association, as long as MS pay up the fees I don’t think anybody in the Association (including Sony) will give a shit.

After all either they license BR to MS and make money off every console and disc MS sell, or they force MS to develop their own format or license another tech from which they gain nothing.

9. Razor

Wow, it really is silly season, then :)

10. ManWithNoName

The problem with those mods is: yes, they look cool. But they don’t take costs of manufacturing, cooling and how to fit the components inside.

Second, I doubt MS will drop disc format entirely and going Blu-ray would save them money of not having to manufacture their own format.

Last, anti-used system? I doubt you can even do it, and I doubt even more this to be legal.

11. Old MacDonald

This sounds .. I don’t know. I think they’re shooting themselves in the foot. Stuff like this wouldn’t just hinder used game sales, it would prevent you from bringing your copy of FIFA to your mates house for some fun or letting your nieces borrow a game or two for their new console.

I don’t think that would be popular, and I’m not saying that because I’m upset about it or anything. I just think it’d be very bad for business.

12. drewbles82

anti used games, hmmm how on earth would that work. You will loose a lot of market there cuz some people like myself wait for games to either be cheaper or get 2nd hand.
    Then you got the not to sure about that game crowd who avoid buying a game but then borrow a friends (wont be able to now) or get cheap 2nd hand one and end up buying into a possible game.
    I know loads who didnt want to buy saints row, got it cheap, loved it and bought into the 2nd and 3rd games. If they cudnt have done that, they may have never bought any.
    As for Blu-ray its either that or some other form of disc/media as this gen is not ready for digital downloads only.

13. someguy2

Am I the only one who thinks all these rumours are utter bullshit and the only reason for their insurgence is because people are curious about the possibilities of a new Xbox, due to the fact we’re approaching the end of the 360 life-cycle and these sites are just feeding off that curiosity to get hits.

14. drewbles82

Also wouldnt that totally get rid of renting games.

15. Aimless

I suspect the next generation of consoles — Nintendo excluded — will more or less adopt the PC model of serial codes.

Online passes are growing in popularity with publishers and are a clear move towards the above. With every next-gen console game almost certainly being available digitally it makes clear business sense to have every game you play tied to your account.

That said I imagine there would be some concession to those people who don’t have their consoles connected to the ‘net for authorisation, such as a 3-day grace period after which the disc no longer boots if you haven’t registered it. Perhaps you could even do it over the phone, receiving a bespoke authorisation key after inputting your console’s hardware ID and your one-time serial code.

Whatever the case I only see things getting more restrictive. Hopefully there is at least some counter-balance in terms of consumer benefit, but frankly a captive audience is inevitably going to get a bit of a raw deal in much the same way you’ll pay over the odds for a crappy sandwich on an airplane.

16. NiceFellow

The next Xbox will surely contain BR or some equivalent. If MS go fully digital they’d lock themselves out of the very markets they are currently struggling to enter vs Sony and basically hand Sony and Nintendo the emerging markets which don’t have the infrastructure for a fully digital device. However DVD will surely be too limiting for a more powerful console with games with higher res textures, etc.

I’m guessing a version of BR simply because MS in the end aren’t interested in HW and I see no benefit to them to plough money into a physical format vs using something readily available

As for Sony letting them use BR – that’s not up to Sony and I can’t believe people still think Sony = BR. They are simply a part of a consortium. You might as well expect Sony to stop putting Windows on its PCs.

The used game bit intrigues though. I wonder if that wouldn’t do MS more harm than good?

17. OlderGamer

Aren’t OPC(Online Pass Codes) good enough in terms of discouraging second hand sales?

And here is the thing that scares me the most(should this be more then just unsubstatiated rumor), “Anti Second hand” sounds a lot like “Always Conected Online” DRM crap to me. Also sounds like all games could require installs, where as the disc imprints a validation number on the install, that gets checked against the disc, and also checked against the profile to see if that validation code “belongs” to the user of the profile.

Nice.

18. Patrick Garratt

@9 – This is just the start. It’s going to be a loooooooong road.

19. fearmonkey

Yeah, I bet Gamefly is really happy about “Microsoft plans to incorporate an anti-used game application into the next Xbox”. I remember hearing the PS3 had something like that being in development before it was released but dropped.
    I realize these are all rumors but if MS truly releases a console with a 3 year old GPU processor, changes the controller which is already rated by many to be the best controller ever (im one of them), includes Anti-used game tech, requires game installed due to blu-ray (better have a faster drive), only increases the ram to 2GB, then bring on the PS4!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and pray Sony doesn’t screw it up).

Thanks to the success of the Wii with a cheap console, and MS’s focus on Kinect, I was was afriad they were going to make a “Good Enough” console, and thats exactly what it looks like.
    They knew they couldnt go less than a 6000 series for Directx11 support(it’s good enough), and I bet it will be 2GB memory(it’s good enough) with built in kinect (because MS is a bunch of hipster marketing business types that wet themselves over kinect).
    The rumored 20 percent better than Wiiu performance doesnt matter.
    IF the rumored wii-u specs are true, its a direct 10 (wii-u) card vs Directx 11 card (6000 series), and thats where it will shine over the Wii-u, they will tesselate everything… there will be a difference graphicly.
    MS’s new next-gen motto, It;s good enough and has KINECT2.

20. OlderGamer

And then there is the price. And how many SKUs will be avalible?

My guess is 2SKUs. $499usd and $599usd.

21. danhese

@freedoms_stain @NiceFellow Actually Sony started 2 projects with Pioneer and Phillips, one of which became the Bluray we use today. The first prototype of bluray was showed by Sony at CEATEC in 2000 and the Blu-ray Disc Founders now known as the BR Association started in 2002 after Sony managed to gain support from a few companies, now it has grown bigger but Sony is right at the top. Little known fact, Sony and Phillips also developed some of the technology and standard used in DVD that is why Sony is listed among the 10 founding members of the DVD consortium founded in 1995.

As for Sony letting them use BR, BR was never created to be proprietary format, it was created to combat the limited space DVD provides and increasing size and demand for High Quality Media. Its like DVD also created to combat increasing demand for quality video and capacity with major help from Sony. The consortium you speak of is a list of companies who have pledged support for the format and doesn’t mean they all created the format. Sony does in fact = Bluray and also in a major way Sony also = DVD because they contributed right from the start in creating the format.

Anyone can use Bluray just like anyone can use DVD as long as you pay a small fee but make no mistake, Sony is at the heart of both formats.

22. Patrick Garratt

God. Can you imagine what it’s going to be like when they actually announce it? Internet disaster.

23. NeoSquall

Cut the new games prices at 50%/60% of what it is now, that would be a fairly good start in avoiding the second hand market.

24. fearmonkey

@22 – Exactly…Sony has a chance to really come out swinging and pull another PS2 over Dreamcast situation. MS might end up learning a painful lesson.
    I was excited about the Xbox next, now I am just bracing myself for disappointment.
    Again, these are all rumors, but they sound valid. I did hear once that the system might be a dual GPU system, that would lessen the blow if true.. I’m not sure how well that would work on a SOC though, heat wise, so I have no idea if true.

25. GwynbleiddiuM

Frankly I didn’t enjoy current generation of consoles. I had some fun with MGS4 and Uncharted(s), and nothing on XBOX 360 were that impressive for me either. So I probably give the next gen a miss. Unless there’s a MGS that I need to play I’m not interested in anything else.

26. Ireland Michael

Blu-ray I can believe. Kinect 2? Probable.

Anti used games system? Please, that’s just internet trolling.

27. Da Man

#24 Dreamcast’s graphical capabilities had borderline nothing to do with it’s demise. Besides, it might end up as PS2-GCN/Xbox.

28. daytripper

have to admit i am underwhelmed at those specs but reading michael’s great point

“I will never understand why people get so up in arms and passionately argumentive over new hardware. It’s simply a tool to play the games. As long as the games on the machine are solid and the price is decent, that’s all that matters.”

i am more inclined to see what strategy the developers take with next gen games, hopefully it wont FPS centric again

29. daytripper

i thought microsoft might of went with flash cards or something similar instead of blu ray and used the media side of it via xbox live for movies and services like they are now.

30. fearmonkey

@27 – Your partly right, the Sony Hype train was what killed it, but that was partly due to Sony’s hype over the graphic prowess of the the PS2 over the Dreamcast (it’s Toy Story graphics).
    My point is the same thing could happen here, where Sony builds a much higher end system compared to the rumored specs of the next xbox, and then when the Xbox is getting ready to launch, Sony shows up with a ton of marketing trumpeting their more powerful console and wait for PS4.
    I honestly doubt that will happen though, I bet Sony goes cheap too.

31. DSB

I have a more powerful console, it’s called a PC. People don’t want to pay for that either :P

32. DuckOfDestiny

The smaller controller part is bullshit. One thing which people usually sways peoples (None fanboys) opinions on the consoles is the fact they like the 360s larger controller.

I myself prefer the Dualshock as I have small hands, but this argument is something I’ve heard lots of people say on forums and comments sections. In fact I’m pretty sure Cliffy B said something along these lines as well.

33. Da Man

#30 Sega was a decadent company gradually approaching it’s death at that point in time, all thanks to numerous asinine decisions made in 90s, from the MD add-ons to the ill-fated Saturn and the disastrous Sonic X-treme fiasco. The lack of EA support, and finally the imminent launch of PS2. All that contributed. They just couldn’t (or were afraid) to keep up. Going software-only was a much safer business model.

What managed to hurt Sega won’t be able to do the same to a giant ass corp like MS. PS3 had tonnes of marketing and smacktalk,. It wasn’t until it got some decent software that the sales stabilized.

34. Gizkata

They said the PS3 would have anti-use/rental system and a whole load of other shit. Look how that turned out.

35. e13

MS will push direct downloads via their LIVE service.

You can’t trade or sell those games. Storage space is super cheap and endless.

The whole industry is moving that way.

36. PowerT

I doubt they will absolutely stop used game sales. But what they could do is manufacture each disc with a unique key embedded in it. When it’s played the key gets attached to the player profile.

With this you could render games useless to those that don’t use that profile. But I would be more interested in the tracking data of each disc. And this might be more useful to them. With it they can follow the use pattern of each disc and tell just how much used game sales hurt the industry. I’m sure many discs pass through Gamestop multiple times.

Interesting data!

37. speedxl01

And the next Xbox will have free online?? Seriously, Xbox users should demand to MS free online, and have the gold subscriptions for other benefits.

Remember how much does MS profit with this?

+10 millions pay for gold sub, at $50 dlls = $500,000,000 dlls (infrastructure costs??, then how does SONY and every other platform to offer free online ??)

38. Freek

39. FabioPal

Unless an “always-on” connection is required there’s no way they can protect against used game (what is an “used” game btw? a borrowed one? a resold one? how can they know?)

About the image, guys, that “thing” is not usable, nor it fits underneath the television, nor is the dvd/BR bay accessible. They design the consoles with just one thing in mind: usability.

40. freedoms_stain

@38, it probably won’t, if they start doing this it’ll probably be similar to what they’ve done on PC. The game will come with a single use product key which will require online authentication, after that the game its locked to that account forever more.

@39, always on internet shouldn’t be required, just for 1st time activation

41. Fin

I think it’d be a bit unfair to have single-use key to play the game, be better to have a single-use key for all online functionality (like if you buy the game used or borrow it, you can’t be on Xbox Live when playing, no achievements etc).

Wouldn’t mind that.

42. freedoms_stain

@41, why should a pub care whether you’re on xbox live it not? They give not a shit about the services MS provide you in-game or otherwise, they just want your money for the game.

43. Joe_Gamer

“So how do you differentiate a used copy from something you just borrowed from a friend?”

Heh, they don’t, to them they are exactly the same.

#43 1 year ago