‘Optional’ CoD Elite subscription “about giving more flexibility to our hardcore” fans, says IW

Tuesday, 24th January 2012 09:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

As Activision prepares to launch the first bit of DLC for Modern Warfare 3 later today for Call of Duty Elite subs, Infinity Ward’s Robert Bowling has said the option of going in for a sub is about adding “flexibility” without getting in the way of the casual fans.

Bowling was speaking to Kotaku ahead of today’s DLC launch, which will see the release of two new multiplayer maps, Liberation and Piazza, first for Elite subs on Xbox Live, follwed by PSN and PC once the 30-day exclusivity ends. Those without Elite subs will eventually get the content.

“I think we like to give the option to have that experience. But it’s been very important to me, personally, to have that as an option, that it’s not a ‘We are a subscription game’ or ‘We are not a subscription game’,” he said.

“It was about giving more flexibility to our hardcore without hindering the casual guys from enjoying it how they always enjoyed it.”

Today’s content drop is the first of nine that will appear throughout the year until September. To celebrate the launch, a new trailer for CoD Elite has been released. Get that below. It’s all about kicking ass, apparently.

1. ManWithNoName

Or they are just holding content at ransom, forcing you to subscribe a service for early access. Sorry, but I don’t care to wait. What I am saying? I just don’t play CoD anymore.

2. DSB

That’s a lot funnier than that Jonah Hill bullshit.

Probably the most awesome thing about it is that Rob Riggle is a Lieutenant Colonel in the USMC.

I don’t like freemium stuff, no matter how you wrap it. On the other hand, it’s not like they’re forcing you to buy anything to get the content. As long as it’s incentivizing subscribers rather than disadvantaging non-subscribers, I can’t go into fullblown rage over it.

“Camping is for noobs and hippies” – Fuckin’ aye!

3. Freek

It’s about getting the money upfront. They know that as time goes by players numbers drop off and intrest in DLC goes down.
    With this anual subscription you get all the DLC money upfront when everybody is still hyped for the game.
    Doesn’t matter if they keep playing long enough to get all the DLC, infact it’s better if you don’t because that means free money.

4. OrbitMonkey

Lol, I want to be in his clan :-D

5. Yoshi

… they sure know their audience of faggots and 14year olds at least.

6. DSB

Looks to me like being a cunt is in season.

7. StolenGlory

“Faggots”?

Really Yoshi?

I thought you were better than that.

8. OrbitMonkey

^ Don’t be too hard on Yoshi, he’s suffering from CoD hate. A irrational delusion that only seems to effect the kewl gamers…

9. DSB

Who’s being too hard on him? :P

10. Yoshi

I’m sorry is everyone American here? The word ‘faggot’ shouldn’t turn so many heads in Britain. XD

I’m sorry but this trailer is aimed at 14-16 year olds who like screaming over the mic and thinking they’re badass because they can pew pew a noob or two XD. I personally know some people who would find this hilarious as they’re in that category.

@8 Nahh I don’t hate CoD, I’m actually currently playing through the MW3 singleplayer and rather enjoying it, it’s a lot more interesting than BF3′s at the moment.