How Chocolate Castle shames triple-A accessibility

Thursday, 19th January 2012 07:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Brenna Hillier just wants to play some games, but it’s all so hard. Maybe the traditional games industry could stand to learn a thing or two from the accessibility of indies.

I don’t play enough games, and I’m ashamed of it. I just don’t seem to have the time to spend with major releases any more. The most time I’ve spent on a game in the last month is a tiny indie puzzler called Chocolate Castle, released two years ago but given another lease on life by a recent Humble Bundle.

Chocolate Castle is a really low-fi affair. The graphics are simple and low resolution. The audio is best characterised as beeps and boops, along with a pretty delightful munching effect. It’s not going to win any awards for dramatic narrative, nor does it feature a single exploding landmark. What is does have, by the bucket, is playability. Chocolate Castle is technically a sliding or block push puzzle game, but it has a number of twists, like blocks sticking to each other, which give it a great deal of flexibility in level design. Some of the later puzzles – there are 120 in the full version – are fiendishly difficult, and every single one is different.

All of that is reason enough to play Chocolate Castle, but more and more I find myself returning to it because it’s just so accessible. Not “accessible” in the PR way meaning “push X to win,” but accessible in that whenever I’m at a computer, I can fire it up and play a level or two with no obstacles. This is increasingly not the case with triple-A games, which, I posit, have grown too big for their boots.

Are You Equipped?

The path between conceiving of a desire to play a video game of some kind, and actually achieving this goal, is long and frustrating. I have both HD consoles; a couple of handhelds; a PC; and a Mac. With this collection, I can play almost everything that comes out. For those with access to fewer platforms, innumerable games are denied them.

Chocolate Castle in action.

“Them’s the breaks,” you might scoff, valuing cliché over grammar. We’re not talking about a few exclusives here, but, in some cases, entire catalogues. PC gamers have more grunt in their customised cases than two consoles strapped together, yet have to wait a year for a dodgy port. Macs have become an important computing platform in the last decade, and yet the idea of timely OSX ports is laughable. The console networks are so tightly locked in licensing and proprietary secrets down that some games – and entire publishers – are just never going to make the leap.

Chocolate Castle is available for Mac, PC and Linux. It released on all three platforms simultaneously as if that weren’t even a thing. If console gamers were more open to spending money on adorable indie puzzlers, it could presumably be ported to either network, and perhaps to mobiles, with relative ease. Chocolate Castle is portable because of its scale; it’s nowhere near as ambitious as this year’s blockbuster shooters, and that makes it infinitely more flexible – and accessible to a greater audience. You don’t need a whizz-bang CPU to play Chocolate Castle. It does not demand you upgrade your RAM.

Arr Me Hearties

Reviewers came afoul of Ubisoft’s DRM this week, when they found that their three-install license for Anno 2070 fell over when they dared to swap in a new graphics card. The DRM software apparently interpreted this as an attempt to illicitly move an install to an entirely new machine. The French publisher gets a lot of flack for its severe approach to anti-piracy measures, but it isn’t the only company to protect its games this way. Even the Steam client – which many forget is itself a DRM tool – will panic and require unlocking if you move your installations to a new hard drive on the same computer, something recommended on the company’s support pages. Let’s not even talk about always-on DRM and the regular failure of internet connections.

Ubisoft seems to believe it can’t afford to risk its IP without DRM – and many other publishers feel the same way. When games cost tens of millions to make, there’s an exceptionally fine line between success and angry share holders.

So maybe it’s time to make some games which you can afford to release into the wilds. Chocolate Castle is DRM free. It takes about ten minutes, from start to finish, to purchase, download and then install Chocolate Castle dozens of times. I installed it on my PC, and my Mac, and then on my partner’s PC and Mac, and I’m probably going to put it on my dad’s computer as well, because these are all machines I use on a regular basis. When I get a new computer, I’ll install it there, too. When I swap out hardware or drives or move a folder, Chocolate Castle won’t even blink an eye. You paid for me, it offers calmly. Do whatever you like. I think I’d like to buy another license, actually, because I like this game a great deal and it would make a nice gift. Take my money.

Chocolate Castle has probably been pirated thousands of times, but while it represents a significant investment of money, time and energy on its developer’s behalf, it’s small enough and cheap enough that the goodwill of happy users – and the word of mouth which, it must be said, piracy generates – will generate sales which a game without marketing might never otherwise see. Lexaloffle would probably prefer you pay for its game, but it isn’t suing you because you didn’t. It has built a certain amount of piracy into its business plan, and moved on, while legitimate customers reap the benefits.

Stop Faffing About

Games seem to demand more and more of our time every year. To stay competitive in multiplayer games, you’ve got to practice regularly. RPGs require grinding – and everything’s an RPG now. Single-player campaigns go on for hours and hours and hours (including: forever. Thanks, Skyrim). If you want to see all or even just most of what a game has to offer, you’re committed to about eight hours minimum – and there are new games coming out every week.

The time to do these things has to be salvaged from the rest of your day, and it doesn’t always come in solid bursts, which is why it’s so frustrating that when you do want to play, you’re given a bunch of hurdles to jump. If you’re lucky, the game you want will be available at your local shop, or you’ll have pre-loaded it – otherwise, you’ll need to set aside a chunk of time in which your machine sits idly, downloading, and then installing.

Once the core game is in place, there’s the patches. No programming above the most basic level will ever be entirely bug free; that’s simply a sad fact of our imperfect human existence which will persist until our machine overlords retire us in favour of genetically-engineered slug slaves. It’s understandable that a game will release with one or two issues. Even the occasional game-breaking glitch is forgivable, after much grinding of teeth, but game-breaking glitches aren’t exceptions any more – they’re the norm. When was the last time you played a triple-A game which didn’t require a patch in the first week? How many times has your latest favourite been patched since release?

Chocolate Castle takes approximately half a second to load to the main menu; less than that between menus; and closes in the blink of an eye. It encourages sessions of ten minutes, whereas that’s just about long enough to get through the opening cinematic at the beginning of the tutorial that’s an hour before the first checkpoint in Shooting Things VI: Revenge of Bullets.

If you have an hour’s lunch break, chances are you’ll have just enough to time to buy and maybe – if you’re very lucky – download and install a game. Assuming you have it pre-loaded, and your system, client or the game itself doesn’t need patching, you’ll get an hour’s gaming in – minus loading times. That’s one hour down, then. Only seven to go and I’ll have an achievement. Hooray.

Chocolate Castle hasn’t been patched once since I got it. I’ve never seen a single bug or crash. It’s a complete package managed carefully to ensure that its team’s resources for testing and reiteration met the scope of the project and its release schedule – something huge triple-A projects simply cannot afford. Another couple of things Chocolate Castle never requires is client updates and password resets. It takes approximately half a second to load to the main menu (the opening logo is skippable), less than that between menus, and closes in the blink of an eye. Because it’s such a tidy little thing, it encourages pick-up-and-play sessions of ten minutes, whereas that’s just about long enough to get through the opening cinematic at the beginning of the tutorial that’s an hour before the first checkpoint in Shooting Things VI: Revenge of Bullets.

Chocolate Castle, in short, does not faff about. If I did not own Chocolate Castle, I could acquire and install it in the time it takes for the kettle to boil. When I want to play Chocolate Castle, I click the icon, and I’m playing Chocolate Castle. When I want to stop, I stop, and lose nothing.

We live in the future, apparently, and yet the daydream of pressing a button and seconds later enjoying a world of interactive delight is yet to materialise. Triple-A development is too big, too feature-packed and too risky to do what Chocolate Castle does. We need more Chocolate Castles. The industry could stand to learn a lot from Chocolate Castle.

1. Patrick Garratt

Just played the Chocolate Castle demo to see what it’s like. Now staring into space seeing chocolate.

2. silkvg247

I watched the vid and am now hungry. :/

3. RandomTiger

This is one significant reason I stopped building my own PC’s and started playing everything I can on the console. I cant be bothered any more, I shouldn’t need to go to a forum to find out how to successfully boot a game I’ve paid for.

Sadly preorder DLC, day one patches and offline licensing issues spoil this a little.

4. OrbitMonkey

Accessibility is defiantly a key to CoD’s success. Your in a online match within a minute if putting in the disc and the gameplay itself is pretty simple. Point, shoot… Don’t get shot.

5. mojo

the problem of most games isnt the difficulty itself (mostly its ridicoulusly easy compared to the 8 or 16 bit era) but more the fundametal lack of proper instructions.
    “there u have the game. get instructions on how to play it on youtube” the publisher sais.
    dickheads. honestly.

6. DSB

@4 That really goes for consoles in general.

The PC gamer side of me despises them for going light on gameplay design, but they do improve on a lot of things in terms of infrastructure.

I’ve been touting the MW2 matchmaker since day 1. No more timewasting with a serverbrowser. That’s a huge improvement in my opinion. Being able to just jump in a game within seconds, without any “full servers” or “queues” or “disconnected”.

On the other hand, the reason why I prefer the PC over consoles is because it offers a lot more versatility, which sometimes adds up to less convenience.

I just think there’s a rational level of it, and an irrational one.

I cringe when I see people who wish that Doom or Wolfenstein FPS design would return, where you can run around in a maze, half of which you’ve cleared, to look at the same empty rooms and corridors over and over again while you try to find that one little vent that’s gonna take you into the next bit of maze.

It was never a great solution. I’d put serverbrowsers in the same category.

7. absolutezero

OM is that really something we want to encourage though?

Spawn, run, shoot, die, instant respawn with no punishment for dying, run, shoot, die, get locked in a spawn because of poor design.

I hate to mention it but Demon and Dark Souls has shown that there is still a vital market for punishing, rewarding games. The rest of the industry appears to have gotten fat and lazy and tutorial bloated.

When will games actually achieve enough penetration to do away with all non-game specific tutorials? The visual shorthand of movies is so well defined that when it does thing we don’t give it a second thought so why am I still being made to look up and down at the start of every FPS.

Endless publisher, developer, third-party middleware producer logos scrolling past in an unskipable line, choosing the hard drive to save on, choosing the profile to use, choosing the save to load. Plug your headset in, your pad is out of batteries plug that in. Everything is set ready to go.

I don’t feel like playing anymore.

Not even things like phone games or indie games escape the curse of wasting my time with pointless shit.

Brain fart, sorry.

8. DSB

@7 Wut? There are very few online FPS games that aren’t about spawning, running, shooting and dying. That’s been the case ever since Quake.

And while some gamemodes center around objectives, you’re pretty much always punished when you die. You can’t capture an objective if you don’t stay alive to do it, and if points are awarded for frags, you’re hurting everyone by getting taken out.

You can keep people out of the game when they die, but in my opinion that’s less fun for everyone. I can accept it in a realistic shooter, but it’s an entirely different design. In my experience realistic shooters are quiet for 90% of the time, just looking around for the enemy, and then the 10% is the shock of actually being engaged and either winning or dying.

9. absolutezero

Compare an instant respawn server in TF2 to one that has actual spawn times set up correctly.

Instant spawn servers are a mess, and I think that everygame with instant respawns are a mess, its just chaos.

Sure thats enjoyable, its just not for me.

Not to say instant respawns don’t have their place, like in Quake or UT or something which is pretty much all CoD is, just with a lower skill ceiling.

10. DSB

@9 Sorry, all I got from that post was [Subjectivity] :P

There’s a lot of factors in making spawns work. In BF3 it’s perfectly possible to spawn with an enemy’s M16 literally stuck in your ass. While he’s pulling the trigger.

I never had that problem with Modern Warfare, because the spawn system attempts to build lines of resistance across the map, so you’re far more likely to spawn “among friends”.

That’s the beauty of design and engineering, you can do anything if you can figure out how.

11. absolutezero

Its impossible to be spawn trapped in BF3 though, it is possible to spawn into a fire fight but theres lots of help to combat that, like looking at the PoV of someone from your squad, or just spawning at the base and picking up a vehicle.

Its entirely possible to get stuck in a spawn in CoD and get pounded for the round with no means of escape and its even something the CoD community likes to brag about. Fastest MOAB videos etc.

12. DSB

@11 I can’t speak for all CoDs obviously, I only spent a truly huge ammount of time on MW2, but I haven’t been stuck once.

There’s no guarantee that your team mates aren’t going to get mowed down the second you spawn in BF3, it’s basically the same variable as spawning on a flag, and if you keep that variable in the game, then it’s going to carry that with it.

It doesn’t make me like the game less, but it feels like a pretty unneccesary waste of time. There should be an HQ style logic or something similar to that. It seriously unbalances a few of the maps.

Going back to base just to avoid getting cheesed isn’t a solution to anything. That’s like letting the other side win.

13. absolutezero

Or it could be the start of a come back, jump in a heli from the base fly over the front line, take a flag at the back of the map. Get team to spawn in there and start a counter attack.

Completely de-railed this comment section into the finer points of FPS spawn systems.

Uhh yeah, indie game accessability is great and should be folded in more big budget. Also the use of the start button should be re-instated as the key to skip all the bullshit at the start of games.

14. DSB

I’m pretty sure you realize how circumstancial that is though :P

15. absolutezero

Oh yeah totally and im not defending some of the poorer choices that BF made with its sometimes random spawn decisions. Especially not being informed that a flag that your about to spawn into is being captured, that would have been an easy to solution to most hic-cups.

16. tenthousandgothsonacid

‘Chocolate castle’ just sounds like a euphemism to me :)