Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition gets a trailer

Thursday, 19th January 2012 16:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda has released a video for the Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition which releases next month in Europe and the US. It comes complete with Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Courier’s Stash, and Gun Runners’ Arsenal which gives players access to the areas of: Sierra Madre Casino, Zion National Park, Big MT research crater and the Divide. Each of the four add-on packs increases the maximum level cap by five levels, ultimately raising the cap to level 50.

The Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition will be available on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 7 in North America and in Europe on February 10.

1. Panou

The video… has… DISAPPEARED!! =O

2. TheWulf

I would urge people that haven’t tried this yet to pick it up for two very important reasons.

1. It’s one of the only two games based upon Bethesda’s Gamebryo engine that doesn’t require mods to be fun. (This might be because neither of them were developed by Bethesda. The other game is Dragon Knight Saga, if you’re curious.)

2. This game has real choice and consequence. Not just illusionary stuff.

I’ll give you an example of the choice & consequence, which was a more startling thing than anything I encountered in Skyrim. Okay, so, I’m down in the bowels of a vault because the NCR (one of the factions in the game) tell me that their farms aren’t being very successful due to a lack of fertility in the soil, investigation reveal irradiated shenanigans so I go to investigate.

I find a vault deep underground with a malfunctioning reactor core, I only have a short space of time where I can shut it down safely. If I don’t, then I’m going to have to leave it running to go inert in its own time, because if I try to mess with it outside of that window, it’ll melt down and that’ll be far worse for everyone.

Far worse.

However, here’s the thing: Deep within the bowels of the vault are families of people, they’re barely scraping by and just hanging onto life by a thread by using the vault’s barely functioning services. They have food and water, but it’s a mess down there.

I can reroute power to set them free, but if I do that then I won’t be able to shut down the reactor and the reactor will continue to taint the soil. This means that an eventual famine could hit the lands of New Vegas and I could be responsible for that. But what about the other side of that coin?

I can divert power to their section so that they can open the doors and free themselves, so that they can get out into the world and really live for the first time. But if I don’t reroute power to them, then I’ll have to shut down the reactor to save the farm. If I do this, I’m damning them to die cold and alone in the dark, without food, water, or warmth.

So my choice is either that I am judge, jury, and executioner and I damn a group of people I’ve never met to die cold and alone, in possibly one of the worst ways anyone could die, or I create a possible extinction agenda whereby New Vegas may eventually run out of food, not finding any other alternatives, and everything goes to shit as people do anything they can just to survive.

New Vegas is actually a post-post-post apocalypse, so they’re starting to rebuild civilisation there, and I could damn them to lose all that just by freeing that group of people.

What would you do?

I’m still not sure I made the right choice…

(Just so you know: If you free them, you can actually meet up with them later and they thank you profusely for being freed. If you don’t free them, then the farm actually does start producing food. Whatever you choose, it’s reflected in the game’s ending.)

3. Se_7_eN

@ – Sir. You need to calm down…

4. TheWulf

Who is this person named at? I think you have me mistaken, my name is Carlin Incognito.

(But really though, is it a crime to be passionate about something in a positive way? Because that’s silly.)

5. Stephany Nunneley

@1 It’s back now. Dunno what happened, but they put it back up. Sorry I didn’t notice earlier.

6. freedoms_stain

I have been waiting for this.

Now, Bioware, chop chop with the ME2 complete.

7. fearmonkey

I remember that mission well. The funny thing is that most people probably don’t have the emotional outlook you have for the game. I share that, I like to be the good guy, and I played a hero. Funny though, in Skyrim I am playing an amoral person, good and bad, as the game forces that on you if you want to be a completist.

8. Crab of Thunder

I feel this game got a bit overlooked. Yeah it is very similar to Fallout 3 but if you play you can see it is vastly improved. There is more decision and consequence kicking around and it is crammed full of quests and things to do. Genuine fun.

Can’t vouch for any DLC though because I haven’t played any. :)

9. Patrick Garratt

I’ve got a 360 version sitting here. Going to give it a shot soon.