New ME3 trailer confirms February 14 demo launch

Wednesday, 18th January 2012 07:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA’s confirmed the demo for Mass Effect 3 will launch on February 14.

The date comes at the end of a brand new trailer that showcases the BioWare RPG’s Kinect compatibility.

A demo was previously confirmed last year around the time of Battlefield 3′s launch, which confirmed a taster was on its way, but nothing on its content besides that a multiplayer component will be available for early access to BF3 owners on all platforms.

Video’s below the break, via AGB.

Mass Effect 3 launches on PS3, 360 and PC on March 6 in the US and March 9 in the UK.

Mass Effect 3 Kinect Trailer by allgamesbeta2

1. Big_Boss

So voice control will be exclusive to xbox because PCs and PS3s dont have microphones? WTF I hate kinekt ads like these, there is nothing special about it, its just a goddamn microphone which every platform has.

2. YoungZer0

@1: Indeed. I don’t see any reason why PC Players shouldn’t have the same thing.

3. NeoSquall

Moreover Kinect is landing on PC too, at a higher price point than the Xbox 360, I wonder if they will release a “compatibility patch” to implement voice commands in that version too.

4. Henry

@1 Kinect isn’t just used as microphone here. It’s the one to do the voice recognition, so that Bioware doesn’t need to write their own program codes to do this complicated work.

As Kinect is going to support PC, perhaps PC version ME3 will support voice command too. But PS3′s chance is pretty slim.

5. TerraZet

@3 it’ll no doubt be a lazy 360 port anyway, so maybe they will just unlock the voice commands.

But then I don’t need to use voice commands, cos, you know, I’m not lazy.

They also hyped up voice commands for Endwar look at how that turned out.

6. Ge0force

Keyboard commands on the pc-version are a lot faster than voice commands. But I guess no company in the world is gonna set up an expensive “better with mouse and keyboard” marketing campaign ^^

7. Henry

K+M has its goods and bads.
    Yes, Mouse aims better, and keyboard provides more hotkeys.
    But you have to sit tight in front of your desk to play, and there is no vibration or force feedback.

So Gamepad+Kinect do have its selling point.

8. NeoSquall

@5 Don’t really know about that, I choose H.A.W.X. on the list of games Ubisoft gave me when they botched the AC2 first weeks.

9. Ownsin

@7 You don’t need vibration or force feedback to enjoy a game… You’re arguments is false. It’s known that a mouse and a keyboard with FPS and Third Person Shooters are the best. So please don’t buy into Microsoft little ad.

10. viralshag

@9, No you don’t NEED them but you can’t say they add nothing to playing a game.

“It’s known that a mouse and a keyboard with FPS and Third Person Shooters are the best.”

Are the best what? For accuracy? Sure, that’s probably right. But I don’t see why having more accuracy adds any more enjoyment than vibration or force feedback, or whatever control input you prefer.

11. Da Man

Keyboard/mouse has had it’s advertising campaign, about fourty years ago.

I’d rather sit on a couch giving out voice commands than in front of a monitor getting carpal tunnel. But hey.

12. viralshag

@11, You mean… you would rather be comfortable playing a video game than selecting the input that offers the most optimal aiming abilities?

What the hell is wrong with you?

13. jacobvandy

There hasn’t been anything special about voice recognition in 10 years. They need to do more than replace button/key presses with voice commands, they need to let you actually communicate with the game. Then it will be something to get excited about.

Someone mentioned Tom Clancy’s Endwar; that game was awful. It took 5x longer to give voice commands to your units than it would to just select them with the mouse and click where you want them to go. “Unit five, move to point B, target enemy infantry, attack.” That’s if it actually worked like it was supposed to… If you’re trying to make a game that lets you more realistically act the commander, let players say something like “I want infantry patrolling the riverbank around my base, tanks driving down the road to flank the enemy outpost with helicopters following to support, and jets on standby for air strikes, now!” The amount of complex work required for the AI to interpret and correctly carry out such orders would be immense, and [sadly] far beyond anything any game developer is currently capable of putting together.

14. Lewis247

Doesn’t anyone realise it’s quicker to push a button anyway. I don’t want to walk up to an item and instead of taken the normal route of press A, saying examine which would take longer, then it needs to respond to what I just said. It seems like it will just slow down the pace of battle. Watch the video and see how that person sits right out in the open doing nothing just to shout ‘frag grenade’.. Plus I live in Scotland and voice recognition doesn’t count for shit here!

Also, why are people whining that the ps3 and pc aren’t getting this? Why would you want this? Nothing revolutionary, just common voice commands.

15. Henry

@12 What’s so wrong to prefer being comfortable to play games? Yes, I do prefer that, even aiming abilities is the sacrifice.
    That’s why, even without Kinect, I have chosen to play ME1 & ME2 on 360.
    Everyone has his/her preference.

And now, Kinect’s voice recognition would make the console gameplay even more streamlined. It’s a good add-on feature. Why people hate it so much?

16. viralshag

@15, I was being sarcastic. I love controllers. ;)

17. DSB

Wait, what?

I’ve never had my hands cramp up while using a mouse and keyboard. Not one time since 1990.

It only takes a few adrenaline fueled games of NHL to do it with a gamepad.

Not that that make either one less or more valid, but I think what’s percieved as comfortable is very much a question of preference :P

18. Henry

@16 oh sorry, I am too serious…..

19. absolutezero

Well theres goes a fair whack of people who might have been bored enough to buy Dead Esther out the window.

This will be the last time you cross me Bioware.

BIOOOOOOOWAAAAAAAAAAAARE