Lexis Numérique dismisses AMY critics

Wednesday, 18th January 2012 01:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Much-discussed survival horror tile AMY isn’t bad – it’s just hard, Lexis Numérique has argued.

“We wanted to thank those of you who bought the game and rated it on the Xbox market and the PSN Store. Indeed, AMY has been #1 in the daily XBLA charts since its launch in all major territories and players have rated it between 3 and 4 out of 5 on XBLA and more than 4 on the PSN despite the controversy,” the developer wrote on the game’s Facebook page.

“For us, the players’ ratings (almost 9500 so far) are the most important ones.”

The “controversy” concerns AMY’s poor critical reception. It currently holds a Metacritic average of 35 on PlayStation 3 and 22 on Xbox 360.

Criticisms of AMY have made particular note of its combat, complaining of extremely poor hit detection, although in Lexis Numérique’s defence it did stress that combat was always going to be a desperation option.

“As many of you have already heard, AMY is a HARD game. Some people totally disliked that while other really enjoyed it,” Lexis Numérique responded.

“We believe this is part of the survival experience we tried to build as we wanted the game to be challenging.”

The developer recommends players try easy mode at first. Unfortunately, there seems little to counter other criticisms, like obscure puzzles, glitches, poor environmental design, dodgy AI and control problems.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. LOLshock94

shit excuse for a shit game

2. HeavyD-Love

I played the demo and I thought it sucked pretty bad.

The graphics were choppy as hell. The controls were pretty poor and un-responsive. It was so dark, I couldn’t even tell where I was going and once I got off the train it was almost impossible to tell where I was supposed to go even after walking both directions to seemingly dead ends.

No thanks Lexis Numérique.

3. Phoenixblight

Way to win your potential consumers over. Hard =/= unresponsive unintuitive game mechanics.

Would have been a fantastic concept but they totally borked it. Give that concept to Frictional games they would make it successful with less of the hype and the same price point.

4. Freek

They have an hour long Quicklook up on Giantbomb, it’s a game with interesting ideas that has seriouse issues. The combat isn’t hard, it’s broken and the voice acting is absurd.

The developer will come realize that in a few months and will retract these statements, just as happend with Hydrophopia last year.
    Same situation: broken game, developer in denial, but evetually fixed the game.

5. YoungZer0

@4: Wonder if Lexis would sit down and fix it. Kind of doubt it.

6. CycloneFox

I haven’t played it yet, but I’m asking myself (or other users here) if you can beat the game without fighing, as the developer stress out, that fighting is only a “desperation option”. I mean, if you can actually beat the game without fighing at all and if you are then forced to fight, I think it has to feel difficult to manage, just like a fight in older Silent Hill games. I really like that kind of idea, not being able to fight well if you character is not trained to.

7. Phoenixblight

THat is not the case here the stealth which the game is supposed to about is broken, enemies still see you. THe checkpoint system is per chapter and if you die you lose all your abilities. THe girl when you stop holding her hand starts walking around aimlessly, she is autistic not suicidal. If the enemy sees you, Game over.

THe list goes on. Try the demo and you will realize how broken the game is.