Cliffhanger Productions and gamigo have released detailed information regarding the multiplayer options in Jagged Alliance Online, which, for the first time in the franchise’s history, will allow players to challenge a human counterpart.
Currently in closed beta, the latest update adds three multiplayer modes and six PvP arenas for testers, who until now have been batting it out with the game’s AI in over 100 missions.
Battles are turn-based, so the length of a player’s turn will play a special role. Those which complete their round quickly will receive a percentage bonus on their mercenaries’ action points in the next round.
Each PvP arena contains a lobby and rankings, as well as an internal ranking system (ELO style) to determine a player’s strength based on level and position in the rankings. The system was implemented in order to reduce the amount of unequal and unfair matches.
The following list contains descriptions of the modes added to the beta:
- Deathmatch: Direct battle, mercenary versus mercenary. The player who is still standing at the end is the winner.
- Bounty Hunter:Who can sneak around the target’s guards or take them down best to be the first to eliminate the NPC at the end?
- Search and Destroy:Both players have three objects in this arena. The aim is the destroy the opponent’s object while protecting your own.
Following is a list containing descriptions of the PvP arenas:
- Deathmatch #1: North Africa – A warehouse with narrow alleys means fast-paced action on the battlefield.
- Deathmatch #2: Long corridors and narrow passages provide plenty of tactical diversity in this Central American missile base.
- Bounty Hunter #1: Who will be the first to find the drug baron in the South American favela?
- Bounty Hunter #2: Italian blood is being spilled here. Who will be the one to claim the bounty for the general?
- Search and Destroy #1: Morocco – A windy canyon with a bridge in the middle is quite a challenge for both teams.
- Search and Destroy #2: Two abandoned military camps in the midwestern United States that are both under attack from rival mercenary teams.
Screenshots featuring the new PvP areas are posted in the gallery below.
You can sign up for a space in the beta for the free-to-play tactical MMO through here.