Rockstar pushes Max Payne 3 into May – dates confirmed

Tuesday, 17th January 2012 12:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Rockstar’s announced its pushed Max Payne 3 into May 2012 for the console version, with the PC version out by the start of June

The PS3 and 360 versions launch on May 15 in North America and May 18 in Europe. The PC SKU launches in the US on May 29 and in Europe on June 1.

“Max Payne 3 brings powerful storytelling back to the action-shooter genre,” said Rockstar president Sam Houser. “Rockstar Studios are delivering a game that’s both incredibly cinematic and very, very intense to play.”

The new launch window sees Max brought into Rockstar’s typical launch period. Its released Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire in the past two Mays on record.

The move into Take Two’s FY2013 means the company now expects to report a net loss for FY2012.

“We do not take changes to our release schedule lightly, and this short delay will ensure that Max Payne 3 delivers the highest quality, groundbreaking entertainment experience that is expected from our company,” said Take Two CEO Strauss Zelnick.

“Max Payne 3 promises to be one of our most exciting releases to date, and we are confident that consumers will once again be amazed by Rockstar’s ability to take interactive entertainment to another level.”

The third installment in the action series is in the hands of Rockstar Vancouver after creators Remedy handed the IP to Rockstar to work on Alan Wake.

1. Patrick Garratt

Oh. That’s not very good, is it?

2. Edo

#1 I’m surprised it was going against Mass Effect 3 in the first place so it’s actually expected.

3. The_Red

Why? Most recent Rockstar were released in May and all of them enjoyed great sales. Unless this is not very good for “GTA5 in 2012″ :)

4. Patrick Garratt

@2 – Yeah, I guess. I just hope it doesn’t move again.

@3 – It’s bad because I want to play it! :)

5. StolenGlory

I, personally am in favour of this delay because not only will it result in a better game (in theory), but it also arrives on my birthday month :)

6. Johnny Cullen

With this now out in May, I reckon that’s GTA V now delayed into 2013 instead of it being out for Christmas.

7. Erthazus

I just hope it delivers.

I really hope it’s that Max Payne that fans want. I don’t want just TPS.
    Uncharted is my TPS fix.

8. StolenGlory

Probably.

They can stick GTA V wherever they like and it’ll still sell like crack-covered penises to Lindsay Lohan. So a 2013 release wouldn’t surprise me at all to be fair.

9. Colin Gallacher

Starting to take Rockstar release dates with a grain of salt.

GTA IV in October = April next year.
    Red Dead Redemption in April = May.
    Max Payne 3 in March = May

I imagine there’s probably a few more.

Also I actually think this is a good idea. There’s a space of 3 weeks where the Vita, Mass Effect 3, Syndicate, SSX and Ninja Gaiden 3 are all coming out. March is the new November.

10. Patrick Garratt

I reckon GTA’s release will have more to do with T2′s fiscal year than anything else. They could release it at any time of the year and it wouldn’t affect its popularity. So yeah; wouldn’t be at all surprised if it turned up early next year.

11. Johnny Cullen

Rockstar’s just confirmed proper dates. They’re all in the story now.

12. OrbitMonkey

Yeah… This is gonna have shoddy controls, 4 hour playthrough and a ton of hype. Can’t wait -_-

13. DSB

It could go one of two ways: Either this delay is becuase they’re scrambling to actually get it finished, and they want to soften the blow, or it really is just a case of last minute polish coupled with a more attractive release date.

I wouldn’t be scared of Mass Effect. It’s popular and everything, but Max Payne is action game royalty as far as I’m concerned, and it has the Rockstar brand on it this time, so you know nobody’s gonna dare to critisize it.

14. Dirk_Dexter

T2 changed their fiscal year in 2011 to align it more closely with the “seasonality of its business and improve comparability with industry peers”.

15. OrbitMonkey

@13 My point exactly. Another Kane & Lynch… But by Rockstar!!

16. DSB

@15 I’d be surprised if it was that bad, but nothing good ever came of delaying a game for years and years.

We’re talking about a game slated for 2009. That has to ammount to months of lost time just trying to update/pretty up the tech.

17. NeoSquall

Actually it’s pretty good for me, now I have more time to find the necessary funds for the Special Edition!

18. xino

good stuff good stuff

it’ll give me room to play Unbounded and NG3!

19. DuckOfDestiny

Yey, more time to save up money for it.

20. AHA-Lambda

so will ghost recon get delayed again once more for another better fitting retail window? XD
    anywho i’m ok with this news gives me more time to enjoy ME3 in march :)

21. IL DUCE

@20 LOL yeah probably…Ghost Recon should just launch in July if there so worried about retail windows…

This also means GTA V = April/May 2013