European publishers hunting down pirates via torrent sites

Tuesday, 17th January 2012 13:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

TorrentFreak has said the European arms of publishers such as Atari, Codemasters, Square Enix and Ubisoft are targeting pirates by asking them to pay €800 for each title downloaded illegally. According to the torrent site, the publishers are contacting the accused by tracking IP addresses, something CD Projekt stopped doing last week. The issue with tracking IP through torrents is that the majority of clients do not use the customer’s IP address when uploading or downloading. So, while some legitimate pirates could be caught using this method, innocent people could be caught in the middle as well. Thanks Gamefront.

1. DSB

The most offensive thing about this is that it was championed by the music industry to begin with.

Do you really want to start copying one of the most self-destructive, soon to be marginalized industries in the world?

You have to come up with something better than that to get at pirates.

2. LOLshock94

ooohh shit am so scared

3. shogoz

im shaking im shaking

4. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB +1

Well, I honestly don’t blame them for taking action against piracy, but making desperate decisions ain’t gonna solve anything, and the industry looks so desperate these days.

5. silkvg247

Alright then, can I start issuing fines for the amount of time I have to spend faffing with online accounts, DRM, and any other asinine anti piracy measures?

If they’re charging 20x the value of the game, then I’ll charge 20x the value of my time, at my base salary.. that’s £400 an hour then. I’ll also charge for the time I’ve spent trying to fix any glaring issues or bugs in their games.

So far Ubisoft owe me about £600, Square owe me about £1000 and Atari £400. EA, though not on this list, owe me about £800 for Alice (PC) alone – then about £1000 for Origin hassles.

I think this is fair. Time = money and wasting it is theft.

Man I’d be so rich.