Analyst: EA has invested close to $500 million in SWTOR

Tuesday, 17th January 2012 18:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Cowen & Co analyst Doug Creutz has estimated that EA has invested close to half a billion dollars in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Speaking with MarketWatch, Creutz said he believes EA has “minimized its risks as much as it can” on the MMO, “but it’s still a risky bet” and how well the investment pays off will rely on “how Star Wars performs.” Last year, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter estimated that in the end, EA would have invested $80 million in the game. SWTOR was released on December 20 and shortly thereafter, EA announced that 1 million users had signed up, garnering over 60 million hours of in-game play time. Thanks, Spong.

1. Gheritt White

It’s a good game with a strong heritage based off a perennially popular IP – I reckon it’ll do well, mid-to-long term.

2. Talkar

I think it’ll do well too. Right now it is just in the process of sorting everyone who doesn’t like the game out. About 3-4 months from now, i think we’ll have a better idea of how many that is. And a year from now, we’ll know how popular it really is.

3. blackdreamhunk

yea I agree really good game.I went for the 6 months package.

4. MegaGeek1

Let me get this straight. 1 analyst estimates EA invested 500 mill. Another analyst estimates EA invested 80 mill. So a 420 million dollar margin of error between these two so called experts. Well for what its worth I hope Patcher is the “more” wrong of the two. Fuckin twat.

5. Patrick Garratt

I’m no expert, but $500 million? What?

6. Phoenixblight

I am curious how analysts get these numbers besides the obvious out of their butt.

7. freedoms_stain

The figure includes the cost of buying Bioware, so god knows what else they’ve arbitrarily flung in there.

8. viralshag

I’m sure the CGI trailers cost a fair bit of dosh to make.

9. Phoenixblight

Not really and not to the cost of 500 million or anywhere near that. Avatar which is fully CGI using new 3D tech is said to cost 230-500 million. Blur trailer is only 5 mins long. That can be 25k-50k.

Ahh just putting in numbers to hyperbole it they going to put in there. While they’re add it they should just add the ME3 and DA2 development too.

10. viralshag

@9, Of course the trailers wouldn’t cost close to 500 million. That would be ridiculous.

Although for three of them, considering how much hype they generated for the game, and considering how well DCUOs trailer went down, I think they would be mad if they only charged 50k for it.

And considering that the CGI trailers are the best thing to come out of TOR so far, I would say that’s money well spent.

There’s no way the actual design of this game could have cost 500 mil. It must include buying the license and initial costs of taking over the project, setting up the new staff and office in Ireland. I imagine a lot of it would include basic admin fees of taking over an already started project.