Razer’s Project Fiona revealed as new PC gaming tablet

Wednesday, 11th January 2012 02:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Razer’s newest concept is a gaming tablet equipped with two analog stick paddles and the ability to run PC games natively.

Despite seething rumour, Razer didn’t bring its Switchblade concept back to CES, instead revealing Project Fiona as an entirely different beast.

As well as a bizarre set of wings – just look at it; photos and video below – the tablet boasts an Intel Core i7, accelerometers, a multi-touch screen and force feedback (rumble).

Razer claims the tablet is capable of running current release PC games, and expects to ship before the end of the year at an RRP of less than $1000. Developer kits are expected to begin distribution shortly.

1. alterecho

THIS, is an awesome idea. But how in the world did they fit an i7 in that form factor and keep the thermals within range?? Even if it was a ULV processor, i’m puzzled.

2. triggerhappy

They days of zero controller support for pc are well and truly over.

3. GrimRita

@1 i was thinking the same thing lol

4. Patrick Garratt

Blimey. That’s either the most amazing thing ever or it’ll sell about 12 units.

5. TheBlackHole

LMAO @4

I was thinking the same. Genius or insanity – I can’t quite decide.

Perhaps if the controllers were a removable attachment, then I’d be sold. An i7 in an ipad size tablet? Yes please.

6. RandomTiger

I cant imagine there’s much of a market for this, looks cool though.

7. frostquake

In the USA, this is bad timing to release a $1000.00 gaming tablet, or even a $599 gaming tablet. The Economy here is expected to be another bad year. Election times also cause volatility. They would have to sell a large amount and consume a good amount of the market for it to survive. I see this only as a Fad!

8. Moonwalker1982

They talk about this thing in other videos that it’s for ‘on the go’ well sorry, but who is gonna be playing on this in the train or bus, etc? Nobody is. And at home? You might as well just buy a good enough gaming pc for probably less, or just stick with the consoles.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Bad idea.

Only real difference between PC and other platform gaming is the m/kb.

Which this doesn’t have…

And at that price (probably $999) you might as well just get a decent ultrabook.

10. silkvg247

@9 My thoughts exactly. No mouse / keyb = no hardcore market. Which leaves the casual market (whom are happy with pads), or people who only like console ports and use the gamepad more often than not (wouldn’t they just own a console instead?).

11. viralshag

@10, I would rather have a PC which in most cases gives me superior graphics and still use my pad for superior comfort.

You seem to be missing the picture completely… I would think PC games having a platform which could be adopted by the “casual” masses would only be a good thing for PC gaming.

This machine at a decent price point with a Steam app loaded… I fail to see where the problem is.

On a side note, like #2 said, the days for no pad support on the PC is coming to a close and I for one, welcome it.

12. silkvg247

@11 Alright then, give me an idea of what kinds of games you’d play using the pad.

I’m gonna place a bet that they’re all console ports, or casual games which’d run on a standard tablet; neither of which need an i7 to run.

If you’d play FPS or RTS games using such a controller then all I can say is good luck with that on multiplayer. Can you imaging trying to beat a good mouse/keyb user with a gamepad? Currently the issue doesn’t exist, as console/PC servers are split.

And I can’t even imagine how unplayable the likes of starcraft or other twitch RTS games, or any mmo, would be.

So you see, the problem as I see it is that this gadget aims itself squarely at the audience who play the type of games that really need a mouse/keyb to play.

I’m with you on the steam thing, but again the actual TYPE of game you’d play is nothing that can’t be done on a lower spec. My point being the control idea does potentially have a market, but the high spec and extra cost I just can’t figure out. It’s not like you’re gonna play BF3 with those things, right? Not against other PC gamers anyway.. hah!

13. Erthazus

@viralshag, you are wrong pal. PC is the biggest platform for casual gamers. Look at the Facebook games and ZYNGA Games. So no, more casual ppl will do nothing for PC gaming at all. It’s only got worse when these vultures started playing FarmVille.

Pad =/= superior comfort. It’s a matter of taste, but for PC games mouse and kb is important for certain games. If you play console games that were designed for console or casual games that are on consoles, sure. Controller is enough.

Gamepad for twitch fast shooting games like Unreal or RTS games like Starcraft or MMO’s is not enough.

There will be support for games that are ports, but games that designed specifically for mouse and keyboard won’t recieve that treatment.

14. freedoms_stain

It’s a luxury device, I doubt they’re planning on selling millions of them.

It’s an interesting concept to be sure, whether it’s really practical (or comfortable) for its purpose remains to be seen.

15. viralshag

@12, Let’s be honest though, FPS on PCs very rarely down to the extreme Pad vs KB examples that are usual mentioned. I always use my pad in BF3 and stats-wise, they’re much the same as the consoles in my case (I’m an average FPS gamer at best). Yeah I will agree, they’re a little bit worse but nothing that could be made a case out of.

In a top ten KB vs pad users, the KB will come out on top. However, in my experience I didn’t feel I was playing among an elite race of gamers because the majority were probably using KB&M. I had good games and I had bad games but in general, the experience was pretty much the same as consoles. I think in most cases skill will determine the outcome of a match rather than the controller input.

@13, Of course you’re not going to get full support for every game and I’m not saying every game needs it either. I don’t think I will every use a pad again for an MMO after DCUO, and I would never use it for an RTS. But on this hardware, I imagine playing an RTS with a mix of controller and touch-screen would actually be a very enjoyable experience.

Also, comparing FB casual gamers and casual console gamers is not the same thing. You’re looking at two completely different markets.

Personally, and I’m sure I’m not alone in this, I couldn’t care less about not being able to compete against the “PC Leet” end of MP gaming. Of course I’m not going to generalise and say everyone in that bracket is a complete dick, I will just say most of them are. :)

Why not just give the option as default for a controller on all RPGs, racing, adventure, TPS, FPS and simulator games on the PC? If all the games I CAN play with a pad had proper support for it (unlike BF3 which is poor implementation) I probably wouldn’t even bother buying another console.

16. silkvg247

@15 If you pitched two equally skilled players against each other, one with a pad, one on standard controls, the one with mouse/keyb would win every. single. time.

It’s just a better control mechanism for those types of games, I’m sure I don’t have to explain why? I’ts not about competing with the best of the best, it’s about feeling I’ve died because I’m shit, as opposed to I’ve died because I couldn’t rotate my view fast enough or his mouse was faster than my thumbs. Otherwise it’d jsut get too frustrating.

Some people will agree with you that they can “get by” using pads, but they know they’re at a disadvantage. I’d argue people who think like that are few and far between in the PC gaming area too, which brings me back to my original question – who is it marketed at? A gaming enthusiast won’t even look at something without a mouse. A casual gamer won’t look at anything expensive.

To be honest the idea of games supporting pads by default is both awesome and terrifying. Games devs are already becoming lazy at shoddy PC ports, imagine if they eventually drop mouse/keyb support altogether. Too much hassle being able to rebind keys and whatnot. Man, I’ll be hanging up my gaming gloves on that day.

17. DSB

Those handles look like an instant dealbreaker. There’s no way I’d ever walk around with something that looked like that, especially in the 1000 dollar range. It’s just ridiculous.

It doesn’t look comfortable either. It’s hard enough to play with a 360 or PS3 pad for long ammounts of time, but I’d still rather have support for those, than the be left with such an ugly device.

@16 Well, a mouse is faster. It’s not a measure of whether it’s actually more fun or not. Personally though, that’s why I can’t play FPS’es on a console. I’m too used to putting the dot on peoples head in milliseconds.

18. Da Man

#12 is right in saying that in PC shooter games if you just put a player with the mouse against the one with a pad ignoring everything else, mouse would be easier to play with. Since
    bullet magnetism is a very important aspect of pad-oriented versions of fps games, pretty much the only way of making it fair would be putting that into PC versions, which would render them pointless.

19. viralshag

@16 & 18, Well if that’s the case, then people with similar stats as me on Battlelog must be shite. If me having a disadvantage using a pad puts me down a few pegs already, then those that are the same or close with the advantage of a KB&M must be even worse. Some of you VG pc gamers better step it up. ;)

If this was priced and marketed right, it could have appealed to some people. But with the 3DS, Vita and iPad out there at the moment, I think all potential buyers have something else keeping them busy.

20. silkvg247

Viral, if you’re doing well with pad I don’t doubt for a minute you’d do even better with mouse/keyb. You are giving yourself a handicap.

I’m talking about infantry, not jets, btw. :)

Edit: And I’m also assuming you are playing on PC, otherwise none of your points make sense..

Console players only play against console players, and thus a “good” console BF3 player would have pretty much on par stats with a “good” PC player who plays against other PC players.

I think you are saying you play with the pad on the PC, though that doesn’t make much sense to me. I mean why would you..

21. viralshag

I can assure you right now, me playing an FPS with a M/KB is a horrifically painful and embarrassing experience for me. And yes, ofc I have been playing on the PC, you were there a few times. ;)

It’s simply down to a matter of taste, opinion and what you’re use to. I literally *hate* using a M/KB for anything other than work, MMOs and RTS games.

But then again most of my gaming life has been using a pad since the snes. I only decided to build myself a gaming rig because I played WoW, I wanted to see if I could do it and I could afford it. Turns out it was worth it and why I built a better machine a couple of years later. :D

22. silkvg247

Yeah I know we’ve played on the same server, but thought you might have it on both platforms. :)

I’ve also used pads, since the master system in fact – I was a latecomer into the PC world.

Are you sure that you just haven’t found the “right” mouse? I have to use very small mice with my girl hands, else it’s just painful and uncontrollable. For the same reason I struggle with standard xbox pads, though ps3 ones are ok. I also can’t use my PSP for more than 10 mins as the thumbpad kills me – tiny thumbs and all that.

23. freedoms_stain

m/kb can be difficult if you haven’t used them for gaming in a while. My left hand gets tired quicker than it should and I know I’m not doing as well controlling recoil in BF3.

Using a pad vs mouse is ok if you keep yourself out of twitch situations, flank round and concentrate on shooting people in the back, but I’d hate to go cqb pad vs mouse.

24. viralshag

Nah I tried the beta for the console versions and they were just awful, plus I hooked up my PC to my new 40″ the other day and played BF3 for a bit… It was pretty amazing haha.

My hand gets sore using a mouse on an FPS where I need a bit more control. For other games like an RTS it’s not so bad. Honestly, I just like kicking back with pads and now my TV is hooked up I can see a lot of games that would have been console buys becoming PC buys such as ME3 and Reckoning.

25. CMcAfee

The verge has a hands-on and impressions up from CES, and the handles are NOT detachable.

26. freedoms_stain

@25, it also says this is probably not the final version of the product.

27. triggerhappy

@ erth “@2 absolutely not. If you look at the most PC games, they don’t have controller support at all. MMO’s? forget it.”

Name 5 RECENT big PC games that don’t support controller. Even PC exclusives like Hard Reset & Crysis have controller support. Diablo III devs have even said that D III plays better and more fluid with pad.

Anyway for me my controls of choice are always about comfort, thats why i like controller over kb&m. But to say that most PC games don’t support pad is just not true, it used to be, but its not anymore. Look at Bioshock 2, people went nuts when there was no controller support, fair enough theres still not controller support for that game but it shows the mind set of the community, people want choice. Its expected these days and I welcome it. *winks @ Viral :P*