Hitman: Absolution sends 47 on stealth-action flip-flop

Wednesday, 11th January 2012 15:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Previews for IO Interactive’s Hitman: Absolution have started popping up online, and it looks as though players will be able to choose to be the classic, stealthy Agent 47 or a more gun-happy man in a suit.

Absolution’s Agent 47 is no longer accepting contract kills and is instead on his own mission, which will give players the opportunity to decide how the character progresses through the story. This also allows the player to choose between stealth and action modes in the game.

“First and foremost, what we’re trying to convey is that Hitman is still very much about stealth,” the game’s lead producer Hakan Abrak told Joystiq. “If you liked that in the earlier installments, you’re definitely going to get that here.

“But we also want to present compelling action, if you’re that type of player.

“In earlier installments, if you went into action, every enemy would come after you – you felt like a failure, like you had done something wrong. We really wanted to do that differently here, so if you play action, we think it should be a compelling experience and we think we’ve achieved that. If you want to switch between stealth and action, you should have the freedom to do so.”

Various actions will trigger a more “dramatic and suspenseful experience” no matter how the game is played, enabling the player to see how their playstyle is “reflected in how the game presents the world” to the user.

“If you go in guns blazing, we know how many NPCs will go into combat mode or send out hunting parties for you, if you run away,” producer Tore Blystad told RPS. “The music will listen to all these things and give you a dramatic and suspenseful experience regardless of how you want to play the game.

“You can seamlessly go back and forth between all these different states. And this is how to show off without trying it out and seeing how my play style is reflected in how the game presents the world to me. This is the biggest challenge we’ve had, to feel linear but not be linear.”

There’s a quite a few more details on gameplay and the various game mechanics posted on various sites, and links for each are posted below.

Hitman: Absolution is slated for release sometime this year for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. Pre-order incentives and special editions will be announced at a later date.

New screenshots are available in the gallery below.

1. Stardog

Sounds like a complete fail. They should just come out and say that this isn’t a stealth game.

2. YoungZer0

Can’t wait for this. My second most anticipated game of 2012.

3. DSB

The further they get from the trial and error bullshit of the previous games, the more likely I am to go for it.

The previous ones haven’t really been very good stealth games in my opinion. I get way more out of a game of Splinter Cell than that.

I wish they had stuck to the formula of the first game. It shouldn’t really be a game about bypassing a million guards, more a game about using the circumstances to your advantage. I’m not ever going to forget the Hotel level, it’s the coolest assassination I’ve done in any videogame, and it was sadly forgotten by the time we got to the second game.

Still, breaking the tedium of the series can only be a good thing. I’m interested.

4. YoungZer0

@1: God i hate people like you. “Sounds like complete fail, i hate having choices of playstyle. They confuse me. You should always have to reload a quicksave because the ai saw you running or something. This game sucks.”

5. The_Red

@3 I feel the exact opposite! The experimental nature of previous Hitman games and the inclusion of many different paths to the victory were the reasons that made them great for me. Even the first one had all kinds of trail and error in it and yet it was a really fun game.

Of course it’s also my game in the series. Definitly agree with the hotel level. God, Hitman 1 was so awesome.

6. Edo

I just hope that you can still kill your targets without firing a single bullet.

7. DSB

@5 I don’t know about that. The level of scripting would seem to suggest a pretty specific idea of what you were supposed to “discover” through your failures.

To me it’s just bad design. There’s little reason not to give people an idea of what they’re supposed to do. That’s a critical part of a game in my opinion. Fair enough killing me because I’m not skilled enough, but killing me because I don’t read minds is just wasting my time.

Even Assassins Creed, with all it’s shortcomings is a lot more open than that in my opinion.

8. OrbitMonkey

Sounds good. Nothing like a rampage after a few hours of stealthy stealthy ;-)

9. Stardog

@4 You don’t seem to realise that these guys made Kane & Lynch — one of the blandest and shittest shooters in recent history.

10. ManuOtaku

#8 or the other way around nothing like stealth after a few hours of rampage, and thats the thing we are free to decide the order or better yet do it in cycles shoot, stealth,shoot, stealth, shoot, stealth and repeat