Next Xbox could have tablet component, says Gamespot

Monday, 9th January 2012 10:38 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Gamespot‘s suggesting this morning a tablet-based component will come with the next Xbox. It says the tablet will feature with the new hardware “heavily” reminiscent to Nintendo’s Wii U control method. Speculation is rife that Microsoft is set to mention the next-gen hardware in some form at its CES keynote later tonight US time (tomorrow morning UK GMT) following a report last year.

1. minxamo

I really don’t want to switch to PC gaming, but Microsoft and Sony are making it difficult.

2. Gekidami

^ …In what way exactly?

3. RandomTiger

As long as there’s a normal controller then Im happy.

It would be a good way for MS to force its way into the tablet market.
    My concern would be the quality of the device vs the cost of the system.
    It would be nice to have a usable tablet whereas the Wii-U sounds like its useless away from the console box.

4. Teabag

This isn’t a “rumor” by Gamespot’s secret source. It’s a feature where they predict what will happen in 2012. This is “their understanding”, or wishlist of sorts, not actual rumors!

5. Hakkiz

Maybe some form of compatibility with Windows 8 tablets… I would be surprised if you couldn’t connect tablets, PCs and phones to new Xbox since you can already use a phone as a Dashboard controller. MS making a tablet-controller just for console games sounds odd to me.

6. Dannybuoy

tablet based component? First time load it up you either take the red or blue table.

7. FeaturePreacher

Microsoft will probably announce how their phones will dovetail with the 360 at CES. They’ll announce something about the NextBox in 2013 since it will be released in 2014.

8. RandomTiger

@5 If you don’t make it a standard device then developers will never make anything for it.

Either the device comes with the console or MS has to do another massive push like they did with Kinect. The latter isn’t logical if you are just launching the new console anyway.

9. freedoms_stain

tbh, I’m not sure how much I want a cheap shitty tablet that only works with an xbox littering my livingroom (depending on what it does).

If they do an app for the major mobile OS’s (namely Android) that connects to the xbox in some way then I can handle that, they can even do an optional dedicated 1st party over priced low quality piece of shit covered in xbox branding as long as they don’t make it necessary in some way for some desirable feature.

It’s a wait n see obviously, but my 1st impression is negative.

10. Lahanas

Is a TRADITIONAL GAMES CONSOLE with more power too much to ask? I cant believe how out of touch this company has got in the last few years, with Kinect and all this irrelevant shit. It’s all about the (core) games.

11. Patrick Garratt

It’ll be compatible with tablets running Windows 8, innit. Same with PS4 being able to hook up with Sony tablets. It’s because of iPad. The next Xbox will still have a “hard” controller, obvs.

12. xxJPRACERxx

Gaming is dead.

13. Ireland Michael

Just remember that this is a rumour. A strenuous rumour at that.

But then, crazier things have happened, and companies are always copying each othe. So it wouldn’t surprise me either way.

Personally? If this worked with things like Netflix, I think it would be pretty cool. Someone wants to use the TV? Stream it from the Xbox to your tablet. Maybe older Arcade titles would work on it too?

There’s plenty of potential in devices like this. The important thing is that they live up to them.

14. Patrick Garratt

Yeah, I think it sounds good. Dunno why it wouldn’t be, really.

15. DSB

Excellent point PatGar. With Windows 8 rolling out, wanting to be the “crossplatformizationer” it would be just the thing to show just how serious they are about making it the omni-OS.

I also suspect it would a hell of a lot sleeker than the Wii’blet.

16. OrbitMonkey

I’d like it to have a web browser. A free web browser too, not something only available to gold members…

17. DSB

@16 You knew you were shit out of luck even while writing it :P

18. DuckOfDestiny

Anything is better than motion controllers *shudders*

19. silkvg247

Consoles killing themselves off with ridiculous gadgets and reliance on being an all in one home media system (of which a person only ever needs one), whilst in the meantime the PC scene is growing rapidly – mainly thanks to steam and digital distribution.

It makes me smile. I’d say smile smugly but that isn’t the case – I started my gaming hobby with consoles and still do own/support all consoles.

It makes me smile because my favorite platform is the one that is, against all odds (piracy! Oh noes!), looking to win the “war”.

I think in the future, the PC will cross breed with consoles, producing a hybrid which can have parts upgraded, but by anyone without computer knowledge. Much like the Xbox HDD now, but with graphics, ram and CPU components, segregated into parts that clip in and out.

I really don’t see how this cycle of non upgradable consoles can continue – the wild and wacky “innovative” gadgets were interesting at first, but now you can pretty much hear the groan from all gamers when yet another one is announced. Without that to rely on, console makers need to look at embracing digital media ala Steam, and focusing on the nuts and bolts on their hardware, or like I said, making some form of hybrid.

20. hitnrun

Words can’t express how disinterested I am in Microsoft’s overtures to mainstream non-gamers. They’ve clearly been whipping themselves since 2006 over not making the Wii themseves, and their console’s features and offerings have gotten progressively worse since they made that their focus.

Even mainstream non-gamers are put off by their user-friendly blandishments. My personal experience was when my friend showed his fiance the abominable new dashboard update for the 360. She played around with it for 5 or 10 minutes, then said, “Ok, yeah, I don’t like it. Change it back.” I laughed, then I cried.

21. Da Man

#20, Really? With the old one it took me several clicks to get anywhere, and I always had to do with the maze-like structure of it, now it’s almost as easy as navigating my phone. Too straightforward I suppose.

I imagine a lot of people were put off by those pesky GUI based OS back then, command line is so much hardcore.

22. chipvideo

It only makes sense. I expect all windows 8 devices to be able to talk to each other. Windows 8 Phones, Windows 8 tablets and the next xbox will run windows 8.

23. OlderGamer

Told ya Da Man ;P

The overwhelming majority of folks I talk to, like me, hate the new xb360 dash. Maybe hate is too strong a word. But liked the old one better would prolly be a better way to say it.

24. poketrainer

It seems they’re gearing up for an Xbox 3/720 reveal sooner than most thought, afterall they have begun some small advertising for it in films, even calling it Xbox 720

25. polygem

rumors like this came up frequently and it totally makes sense to me. it´s more like a portable xbox. you can play your xbox homeconsole games on the go with it…doesn´t sound too shabby to me if executed well. i want something like that since this generation of consoles launched. not sure if this really is technically possible atm. cloud gaming becomes more and more stable though – also gaming tech needs less and less hardware space, so maybe they will really come up with something decent in 2013.