Dark Souls PC port petition nears 40,000 signatures

Sunday, 8th January 2012 21:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Namco Bandai’s call for a show of support for a PC port of masochistic RPG Dark Souls had drawn massive interest.

At time of writing, nearly 40,000 foolhardy adventurers have put their name to a petition asking for From Software’s epic to reach PC.

The petition was organised in response to a Namco Bandai staff member’s comment that “to make things happen, let’s say the demand has to be properly done” with the suggestion that someone should “make a successful petition”.

“When the number of people who actually sign it is low, this turn[s it into] a joke,” the administrator – who goes by the name shoupinou – continued.

“But when it starts to involve thousand(s) people, then it’s another story. Honestly, I think this is an interesting request and that it deserves to be pushed.

“Namco have no position for now on this topic: PC versions are considered for many games but as PC is rarely the lead platform for the games released by the company, making PC version very often depends on signs that could come from users or from market globally. Up to you.”

Dark Souls, follow up to PlayStation 3 exclusive Demon’s Souls, released on PS3 and Xbox 360 in October 2011. The RPG was highly favoured by critics and charted strongly; although sales figures haven’t been released, Namco Bandai had shipped 1.5 million copies worldwide by early November.

Thanks, Talkar.

1. Edo

Expecting loki any time now…

2. Maximum Payne

Well to be honest I wouldn’t be disappointed if lets say third game come to PC.Maybe better that then bad port and to get bad response from PC gamers…

3. Phoenixblight

40k is not enough to make a movement with a developer and publisher. The testing and the fear of piracy is the reason why Devs don’t do it. Testing for a PC is far more costly than console especially so for little return.

4. Talkar

There are good ports around, not all of them are badly made, just look at Saints row 3, Fallout NV, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Batman both Arkham Asylum and City. It all comes down to the effort put into porting it.

5. DSB

@4 Weeeeeeellllllll.

Arkham City definitely isn’t a very good port. It’s a mad resource hog, and the “fixes” have had fairly limited effect. I’d say New Vegas is a question of how you look at it, but locking people out of your game for ages shouldn’t be a goal for any release.

Not to mention the fact that the launcher itself would pretty consistently break down before you could even press play. Obsidians record on the PC isn’t stellar at this point. Alpha Protocol is unplayable without a gamepad.

I agree with the sentiment though. There are plenty of great PC ports. If there wasn’t, there’d be no point in owning one these days.

6. Ireland Michael

You can pretty much guarantee 90% of these signatures were because of Total Biscuit’s recent video suggesting the idea.

7. The_Red

Nice. This game deserves to be on PC since most of its design elements feel like classic PC RPGs. I know some might not like it but for me, this and Demon’s were the most fun and engaging RPGs I’ve played over the last 4-5 years.

What are you talking about? Who is that?

8. DSB

I signed it because of internet hype and peer pressure!

9. Aimless

I believe the game runs/is based on Sony’s multi-format PhyreEngine, so I’m sure the PC version would run fine. However, the online side of things would be modded to smithereens; there’s shenanigans on the console versions and those are running on otherwise closed hardware.

Perhaps a Steamworks release with VAC-support would be a good shout? Not implying the system’s foolproof, but who wants to risk their Steam library to grief in Dark Souls, especially when the game has its own systems to sate such a desire.

10. Ireland Michael

@7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUXw86Vn8ko

Just one of the most egotistical, self absorbed and awesome English bastards on the internet.

11. deadstoned

I’m with “Maximum Payne” here I doubt we’ll see Dark Souls on PC although I’d love to see that. But I expect we wont see Dark Souls, but perhaps the 3rd game. Unless the petition continues to get 10,000′s more, then the Executives probably wont take any immediate action with Dark Souls to PC port.

12. gfhfghd

13. Kabby

If it runs on Xbox it doesn’t take long to get it running on the PC.

And no, it’s not ‘more expensive’ to test stuff on the PC.
    Neither is it ‘not worth the returns’ if your game is good.

14. ACME

I agree with Phoenixblight on 40k signatures being not enough, although I think that even +100k won’t do. In my POV, at least half of this list is going to find a way to get a pirate copy, specially being Dark Souls a single player game (not multiplayer where you could ban fake copies), so why take the risk?

Piracy has been a problem for quite some time but it’s geting worse as companies are dropping some serious money at games development. The recent news that Crysis 2 was on top of piracy chart with 4MM downloads is a bomb for any company. If I was a developer I would avoid PC and aim only at consoles, specially the PS3, only one from the current generation that managed to avoid piracy. Sony may have a lot of issues but on the piracy side, it is the only company guaranteeing Games Developers the return of their investments, although I too agree that games could be cheaper than the U$59,99 standard.

That’s why I really support cutting the middle man (distribution/boxes/art books) and going for digital downloads @ U$39,99/29,99

15. Mace

I’d support this, although I wouldn’t be extremely excited to get this. I would probably buy it at some point, but I support this mainly for what this could mean for more future ports of console titles. Because I’ve been thinking lately that the games with a “special something” are mostly found on consoles… (Just look at the positive reception of Bastion, an action game with some creativity. That is the just the norm with Japanese titles.)

16. DSB

@14 Sounds like a bad rerun of corporate PR.

Have you ever once looked at their financials? Looks like you’re forgetting that these companies are public, and as such, we (and you) have every opportunity to see the truth behind the hyperbole.

Here’s EA’s financials for 2010.

Number of titles:

360 – 22
    PS3 – 21
    PC – 16

Revenue according to platform:

360 – 868 million
    PS3 – 771 million
    PC – 687 million

Revenue divided by number of titles, according to platform:

PC – 43 million per title
    360 – 39,5 million per title
    PS3 – 37 million per title

It’s not hard to see why EA’s biggest bets at the moment are PC games.

The only publishers who are failing to succeed on the platform are the ones who have gone out of their way to alienate the people they’re trying to sell to, which I reckon is what will usually happen when you equate your customers with thieving/freeloading scum.

With the exception perhaps being THQ, who seem quite dedicated to running themselves into the ground on all platforms.

17. DuckOfDestiny

Imagine the content that could be created with Mod support *drools*

18. albo88

the game have almost unplayable frame rate on consoles so just imagine how that will be on PC
    form me keep it i don’t wont another port

19. loki

PC sucks as usual
    40K torrents downloads guaranteed
    @18 what? really ?

20. Takeshi

I don’t really have a need for this to get a PC port since I can play it whenever I want (when it gets available for loaning at the local library).

It would be pretty awesome if those 40k managed to convince From Software to do a PC port. Like others I don’t think it would be very good, they rarely are. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was pretty good though.

Imo, develop the third game yourself and then outsource the PC development to a developer like Nixxes Software.

21. Quasar

40k? hahaaha, probably will pirate this
    if a game is excelent it will sell even on the pc alone, just look at witcher2, sold over 1 million in 6-7 months on the pc alone which is alot i think

22. The_Red

Thanks for the info and the link :)

Dark Souls IS an online game. Even though it can be fully enjoyed as a singleplayer experience, it actually has a stronger emphasis on multiplayer.

23. YoungZer0

If they release it, it’s probably going to be worse than any PC Port on the market. From Software didn’t even manage to make a proper Console Version.

24. Clupula

In fairness, Namco did make a 360 port for the West, even though it was a PS3-exclusive in Japan, so it’s surprising they didn’t just shit out another port while they were at it.