Firaxis’s XCOM: Enemy Unknown announced – info

Thursday, 5th January 2012 16:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Game Informer’s lifted the lid of its first cover of 2012, announcing XCOM’s return to its strategic roots with Enemy Unknown.

The game, not to be mistaken with the upcoming 2K Marin FPS due sometime in Take Two’s FY2013, is a strategy effort, like old-school XCOM games, with development duties being handled to Civilization developer Firaxis Studios.

It’s out this fall for PS3, 360 and PC.

“It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM,” said Firaxis head Steve Martin.

“We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise.”

The magazine’s promised video interviews with leads on the project, as well as an interview with Sid Meier.

1. StolenGlory

HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!HOLY SHIT!

2. Blerk

OMG!

3. Fin

Ugh this looks shit. XCOM is a SHOOTER. If only they called it something else. This is NOTHING like XCOM should be.

4. Blerk

:D

5. DSB

Interesting stuff, but they have their work cut out for them.

Keeping it true also means keeping it dark. Having a big buff guy in cartoon graphics facing a scrawny alien crawling on all fours is not that.

One of the pillars of Enemy Unknown was the fact that your men were weak, and they only made it to the point of real soldiers if they survived long enough.

There’s also the fact that they’re remaking a game that is still good. Unless you replicate that bit by bit, and build on it, then I think you have a problem living up to it. I still play UFO: Enemy Unknown at least once a year.

I guess the crucial thing to wait and see is whether it’ll be turnbased. Most publishers seem to regard that as the plague, but I doubt you can make a true game without it.

So far I’d say Goldhawk 1, Firaxis 0. Early in the game :P

6. StolenGlory

@5 I’m far too childishly excited at the moment to reason as articulately as you about this :)

7. DSB

@6 It’s pretty shocking for sure, and there’s definitely a childish bit of “Holy fuck” in there, but I’ve been burned before :P

8. Edo

“The game, not to be mistaken with the upcoming 2K Marin FPS due in March, is a strategy effort, like old-school XCOM games, with development duties being handled to Civilization developer Firaxis Studios.”Yeah.. FPS version of XCOM is not coming out in March,check your facts first http://kotaku.com/5857624/xcom-delayed-past-march-2012 .

9. Ireland Michael

@5 It’s Firaxis. I have faith.

10. Erthazus

Strategic roots? Firaxis?

O’rly? O’RLY?

Well than, want.

The only problem is that Firaxis kinda failed with Civilization V balance issues. Sure, it’s a good game, but it was unbalanced as hell, not to mention about some serious bugs.

But it’s really cool that firaxis developing it because who really can develop oldschool XCOM game? I have no idea.

11. The_Red

Wow… WOW. Seriously wow. Ok. I wasn’t expecting this to be this awesome. WOW. Oh my WOW.

Ok, finally. The announcement really did live up to the hype. They weren’t kidding when they said it freak out the old school gamers. Heck, the only thing I don’t like is the cover (It feels like something for a generic cover based shooter and not the awesome return of REAL X-Com).

12. Johnny Cullen

@Edo I was off when that was announced, so I missed the memo. I’ve fixed it anyways.

13. Erthazus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tgOZdJzH7I Ahhh.. Nostalgia.

I remember running it on my Pentium II AFC PC and i was amazed by graphics :D :D :D

It was also really creepy at that time. These sounds.. brr..

I hope that this new XCOM game will be creepy as hell, because for me it is very important. Atmosphere is very important in XCOM games and the gameplay. Gameplay is really important, because CiV V was a bit casual compared to CiV 3,4, but i hope they learned their lesson and they will make it really awesome.

Jeez, i’m so excited + Jagged Alliance this year.

14. ManuOtaku

Guys i dont know anything of this games/series, is that great?, i mean how it plays and overall information about it?, should i feel thrill about it too?

15. absolutezero

Way to dump all over this poor bastard. Actually wait Xenonauts still looks like the only true XCom game on the way.

16. DSB

@15 I feel much the same way based on what’s out right now.

Goldhawk are obviously fans, they obviously want to remake the game, rather than reboot it.

I really don’t think you can sell a true X-Com game to publishers these days. Truly challenging, turnbased strategy is not something they’ll go for.

“We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience”

That really makes me a lot more suspicious than the screenshots themselves. Whenever a developer tries to sell a game as “everything to everybody” you just know it’s gonna be anything but.

17. The_Red

Isn’t it a bit odd AND dumb to have two different, big budget XCOM games coming out? I mean now that they have a proper XCOM with Firaxis, why not change the name of that FPS game into something else?

18. rainer

Valkyria Chronicles is probably the most recent fun and accessible turn based strategy game and one of the Gollop brothers (X-Com creators) stated that VC would be the best game to copy for a modern X-Com so hopefully Firaxis got the message.