Capcom “squarely competing” against Bayonetta with DMC

Thursday, 5th January 2012 11:58 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Capcom’s admitted some elements that form part of DMC will aim up against Platinum action title Bayonetta to the extent that both titles will be “squarely competing” with each another.

But Capcom US producer Alex Jones told Inside Xbox in the video below (via EG) there were other parts of the action reboot that would be completely different from that of Hideki Kamiya’s excellent 2010 effort.

“You always want to go out there and beat your competitor to some degree. There are places where we’re squarely competing with Bayonetta, and that’s at the: how does the game feel when it’s in your hand?” said Jones.

“We absolutely want the same fluidity of control that’s a standard setting at that level for them.

“The other areas, tone, storytelling, we’re offering a different experience from Bayonetta and we feel really good about that experience. Some areas we’re competing with them. Some areas we’re offering something different.”

But Ninja Theory creative boss Tameem Antoniades has said it ain’t a “like for like” battle between the two games.

“We’re adding elements to this game that haven’t existed in the DMC series before like the concept of the world being alive, trying to crush you and kill you, and Dante being able to rip apart the world and manipulate it,” he said.

“So there are areas outside of combat we’re adding.”

DMC is expected to launch this year on PS3 and 360.

1. Johnny Cullen

I got back into Bayonetta over the Christmas break after leaving it when it released after the first two or three levels. I can’t believe what I missed out on. Properly brilliant. Gonna get into it some more when I can get myself away from Vita.

2. Joe Musashi

@Johnny – Bayonetta just gets better and better as you go through it. You’re in for a real treat – especially if you know your old-school Sega games and music. ;)

As for this story – I’ll believe it when I see it. Not to rubbish Ninja Theory’s efforts (as I think this DMC could turn out pretty good) but the fluidity, precision and control in Bayonetta was pretty stunning. Enslaved was pretty stiff and clunky. I’ll be happy to be proved wrong though.

JM

3. brotherhoodofthewolf

believe it when i see it

4. Clupula

I wonder, a year from now, will people have a new appreciation for Devil May Cry 2, because of how much this will have flopped?

5. Kabby

DMC2 is awful no matter what you stack it up against.

6. Gheritt White

Ninja Theory’s effort is the first DMC game I’ve ever been tempted to buy. I really don’t understand all the hate.

7. joshua nash

and yet Bayonetta will still probably better then this game

@6 before you get this game play DMC1&3, especially 3 cause its quite possibly the best game in the series, then you’ll understand the hate

8. Zana

Speaking of hate, I hate when developers want to do something fresh and fans are complaining without trying to understand them. Video games will grow up the day gamers will stop being so selfish.

9. The_Red

Then they’ve already lost. Sorry but the man the CREATED the original DMC made Bayonetta. That is the only hack n slash game this gen that didn’t disappoint IMO.

10. Gheritt White

@ 9: I thought Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was freakin’ AMAZING, if you count that as hack-n’-slash.

11. Dark

Well they lost the moment they show that gameplay video.

beside the gameplay have always been ninja theory weak point.

12. lexph3re

Shouldn’t be hard for them to one up Bayonetta then because That game felt like hot garbage to me. As long as they don’t do ridiculous stop frame poses with Dante’s flat butt in the air then I think it won’t be hard for them to get a leg up on it.

UGH! Can’t stop thinking about how much time I wasted in that stupid game trying to see what people thought was so amazing about it.

13. YoungZer0

@12: Same here, really. How something like this can be liked by adults is beyond my understanding.

“Yes it’s stupid, but the gamepla- BLAH BLAH!”

“You see it’s a parod- BLAH BLAH BLAH!”

Really the reason why i fear for Metal Gear REVENGEANCE. But unlike those DMC Fans i’m not crying my eyes out. I give them a chance. The game could’ve been more, but it isn’t, i’m okay with that. If they manage to make it less like their previous title and more like MGS (Just talking about Story, Dialogs and Characters here), then i’m happy.

If not? Well, too bad. Still got the old Metal Gear Games.

14. The_Red

@10 I liked the game and loved some of its environments (like the part where we are shrunk inside that old music box) but the dialogues and some of the performances almost destroyed the game for me. HATED the level start monologues by Pat Stuart and that’s NOT POSSIBLE. Seriously, how did they do that to good old Pat?

15. Ireland Michael

As much as I like the look of the new game, and will certainly defend its changes, they’re deluding themselves if they think it will match Bayonetta’s depth. Even from the trailers its evident that the combat, while looking enjoyable, is nowhere near that level.

I guess that’s what you get for screwing over 90% of your company’s creative talent, Capcom.

16. absolutezero

“How something like this can be liked by adults is beyond my understanding.”

Are you implying that anything about DmC is adult?

Jesus.

17. Erthazus

“How something like this can be liked by adults is beyond my understanding.”

LOL Epic.

18. YoungZer0

@16: At least it doesn’t have a woman who constantly loses her clothes while fighting.

Jesus.