USPTO patent points to DVR function in next Xbox

Wednesday, 4th January 2012 14:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A recently-granted Microsoft patent has suggested that the next Xbox could include DVR functionality.

The patent, granted on December 27 by USPTO, makes note that a DVR application along with a “television client component allows users to record media content on the gaming console.”

It goes on to add: “The DVR application also integrates itself with the console menu. Once integrated, users can record media content while playing games. Alternatively, users can record content when the gaming console is turned off. The recorded content can include television programming, gaming experience (whether local or online), music, DVDs, and so on.

“When in the recording state, users can also switch between various other media modes, whether gaming, television, and so on.”

Currently, Xbox 360 only provides catch-up services, such as 4oD and Demand 5, and some live TV channels, such as Sky in the UK.

Speculation on the next-gen Xbox has grown in recent months, with one report near the end of last year suggesting that Microsoft is set to talk about it at CES in Las Vegas next week.

Even if the console does get unveiled at some point this year, new hardware from MS isn’t expected until 2013 at the earliest.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Gheritt White

Tbh, if Apple’s iTV does include native OnLive support, I’m not sure what the point of the next console gen will be.

2. Butcher8

/\ Not everyones an apple fanboy mind…

3. Patrick Garratt

@1 – iTV will cost thousands. The next gen consoles won’t, and everyone now has an HD TV.

4. OlderGamer

But I think GW is right. In that next gen will prolly reflect something closer to where these things will go and what else besides games they can do. I suspect that before too long stuff like a console based Onlive style service will pretty much make or break a system. Don’t be suprised one bit if the big leader in two gens is someone that isn’t currently in the console biz right now. Cloud gaming services can even the playing field in dramatic fashion. And Apple could well be the company to do it.

5. Noddy Jnr

@1 The nice thing about VG247 was the lack of fanboys/trolls/nob heads like you. So please either comment with something useful or f**k off back to Kotaku.

Sorry for the rant, but why bother.

ON TOPIC- one of the interesting things mentioned/ Direct recorded of games. This would be a nice opportunity if they allowed recording of voice during recorded game play and then direct upload to Youtube. Would make Lets Play series much easier.

And if that was a serious statement, I don’t want to seem like a troll myself, so I will answer it. A) the infrastructure isn’t good enough ‘yet’ for wide spread adoption of a service like OnLive (yes it works, but not good enough)so will not be replacing the consoles just yet and B) Apple will not release a product called iTV because it will infringe on the register trademark for ITV.

6. Gheritt White

@ 5: Listen fuckface, who the fuck are YOU? Been here for five mins and think you’ve grown a big dick? Piss off back to la-la land, you gobshite.

7. ManuOtaku

#4 i understand your points and they are valid, but for god sakes i hope you are wrong, an apple cloud gaming device dominating the market is worse than the SOPA bill.

8. Noddy Jnr

@6 Go on then. I don’t usually lower to this level. But why not. I will ask you a serious question. What did your comment have anything to do with the article?

9. DSB

@5 That sounds pretty fanboy to me. If you can’t stand to see someone praise Onlive because you (for some odd reason) feel it intrudes on your console preference, that strikes me as pretty zealous.

10. OlderGamer

Personaly I don’t see a lot of difference between Sony, MS, or Apple. To me Nintendo will always be a games company. But the other three are just big companies that are trying to make fortunes off of games. It won’t happen, but I’d love ot see Sega be able to make a new console. Best I can hope for there is a Sega Channel type thingie in the cloud someday.

11. Noddy Jnr

@9 it wasn’t really the Onlive service I was trying to have a go at. I actually like the Onlive service and it work great on my low powered laptop. And I think those kind of cloud based gaming services are the future of gaming. But as I said the infrastructure isn’t good enough “yet” to support them fully. 5-10 years time is a different story. The fate of the next-next gen will be in question.

It was the need to bring up apple products in an article about the xbox maybe getting DVR support.

12. ManuOtaku

OG , that i will support a SEGA comeback on the console frey. +1000

13. DSB

@10 The fact that Nintendo are great at losing money doesn’t mean they aren’t still trying to make some.

A lot of people despise Nintendo for being the first to introduce the console license fees, essentially paving the way for exploding costs of games for consoles.

If I buy something like 3 brand spanking new games for a brand new model Xbox, I’ve essentially paid the same as buying two consoles.

I have Nintendo to thank for that. They’re like the EA of the console world when it comes to making business models that have long standing consequences for the gamer.

I think Apple stands out as being the least compromising on the market though, and perhaps ironically, the most pragmatic. They’re always looking for a slam dunk business model, and somehow they manage to find them.

@11 That wasn’t what I was commenting on. More like the hysteric outburst triggered by someone liking the thing.

14. ManuOtaku

#13 Yes i agree, but i see it the other way, without those fees we will be getting a hundred of E.T. games like in the atari era that almost crush the industry to death, so i think it fulfill two purposes, nintendo maded money for sure, but also did create some level of quality in the industry, which was not bad.

15. DuckOfDestiny

I can. Unlike some lucky people, my internet connection is unable to support cloud gaming, even during off-peak times I still experience lag when attempting to play. And if I doubt that’s going to change for me in the next five or so years, god help those who still have connections of around 1MB which includes data caps.

Until the day when more or less everyone is capable of streaming live HD content, without the worry of data limits, then the “point” for dedicated gaming machines will most likely go away.

16. Noddy Jnr

Last post on the subject. But if you actually look at the comment posted on this article not one of them have anything to do with it, because Gheritt White decided to shout something fanboy sounding for the first post.

I obviously didn’t help matters by replying to it. But its kind of annoying that comment threads all end up looking like this. Very few actual discussions on the article and more about what consoles, or service or company each person likes.

Good day

17. DSB

@14 That’s not actually cause and effect.

Incurring costs to the publisher only really means one thing – The publisher will pass it on to the customer. It doesn’t directly affect quality, aside from the fact that low quality will also cost you a lot more.

I wouldn’t enterpret the gamecrash as a question of development being too cheap. It was simply a question of massive investment in games that were known to be bad, inevitably recognized as bad, and as a result making people lose interest in gaming.

Whether Nintendo added fees or not, anyone would’ve realized once 90% of the industry was annihilated (which was the case by 1985) that putting out tsunamis of shovelware would never be viable for anyone. It’s common sense in my opinion, not licensing fees.

@16 It rings kinda hollow when you choose to be part of the problem, rather than the solution.

The problem is with the common internet hysteria, in my opinion, and being outraged when someone likes something you don’t, is certainly a pretty key element of what makes it intolerable, and only serves to escalate.

People are capable of liking things without being fanboys. I agree that blind believers are testing, but I don’t see how Gherrits post is provocative in that sense. And even if you do vehemently disagree, why not argue the statement, rather than the man?

18. ManuOtaku

#15 i agree especially in the third world countries were the situation is more aggravating, and especially if you download 5+ tittles per month, here it will took almost a month to do it, and that is not affordable for anybody, also if you keep in mind that with each generation the sizes of the games also increase there will be a point were we always be constrain by the internet connection, so i think that is a key factor in order to decide if this is really the future or not, i think it will hurt the industry more than not, but we need to wait a bit more to see if this is the future.

19. ManuOtaku

#17 Well but the thing is that it worked for that era, tittles that were almost unplayable for their bad quality did stoped, and ever since the industry didnt crush like that for the exact same reason, so it did had to have some truth in it IMHO.

20. DSB

I think people are gonna be shocked by how fast that development is gonna happen.

I’m apprehensive about cloud at the moment, I don’t really desire my games to take up a lot of bandwidth to play. I prefer to multi-task and tab out whenever.

Still, with countries like Russia, India and Brazil moving forward, I think one of the things they’ll prioritize is a serious internet infrastructure, which I think is gonna spark a lot of innovation.

China too, possibly, but they have the detrimental effect of people with the internet educating themselves on government and liberty and what not.

@19 It’s a good defense for licensing fees at face value, but ultimately the main effect of licensing fees was making Nintendo richer than God, at the expense of publishers and developers.

“We’re not lining our pockets and grabbing what we can – We’re making the market viable” – Oh that’s good spin :P

21. Gheritt White

Firstly, anyone who thinks I’m a platform fanboy (or new to this site for that matter) can fuck right off.

Secondly, it’s all about disruptive technology. An integrated (i.e. one device) solution that provides all your digital information *and* entertainment needs from the comfort of your own living room would be unbelievably compelling to the mass market.

Convergence used to be scoffed at, but it’s all but eliminated the dedicated portable/handheld console market. As everyone seems to agree, the PS Vita is the last Gameboy-type device we’ll ever see.

*IF* Apple put out a TV that allows you to do all the things you’d enjoy on your regular television, DVR (or Apple TV) and videogames console, as well as possibly the functions of your desktop PC/Mac, in one big-screen device – what will be the point of consoles? Even if it cost £1000 or £2000 it’d still be cost effective, as (a) you’re only buying the one device and (b) you wouldn’t have to worry about it becoming outdated quickly as all the GFX processing would take place in “the cloud” or, as I prefer to call them, off-site server farms.

So tell me, how the fuck does this opinion make me a fanboy? I don’t even own any Apple kit, I have a Samsung netbook at home running Windows 7 Pro as well as my beloved Xbox 360.

Cunts, the lotta ya.

22. ManuOtaku

#20 to tell you the truth i did prefer nintendo made money out of this, just to stop playing games like E.T, i remember playing that game, believe me it was not pleasent in any way, they should have paid me to buy it, :) .

therefore i agree with you, Did they made big money out of this?, sure and a lot, it can be see as a tyrant company to dominate the market?, sure too, but in the end they did help the game industry also, which might or might not be the main, or one of the reasons for nintendo doing this, but they ended up helping the industry too from is dire state, and i know theres a lot of companys in the world that made tons of money without contributing in anything good to its respective fields.

23. ManuOtaku

#21 “As everyone seems to agree, the PS Vita is the last Gameboy-type device we’ll ever see”

Sorry but you didnt see the sales of the 3DS right now, and also expect the same results for the vita as soon as they have killer app games and an interesting price point, both of which did affected the 3DS and is affecting the vita as well, believe me dedicated handled games will be part of the gaming industry for a long time.

24. Gheritt White

@ 23: I seriously doubt it. Not outside of Japan, anyway.

25. OwningXylophone

@ Gheritt White

While iTV may be able to cause some ripples in the US, Japan & Korea, there are far too many places in the UK and mainland Europe where Onlive & other game/video streaming services are not available due to available bandwidth, or lack thereof. For example, Onlive & iPlayer will not even run unless you can pull a minimum of 2gb, and I know plenty of people in small towns & villages that still cannot get this. Plus the bandwidth used by Onlive is horrific, Shatter (quite a simple game) uses 1.62GB of bandwidth every 30 mins through Onlive, so until we all have TRUE unlimited FTTC broadband these services will never become the norm and physical media will still have its place.

26. OlderGamer

Nintendo has a checkered past to say the least. I remember the Tengen mess, and nintendo threatening to pull its products from stores that stocked the NEC TG16.

An no doubt that the Nintendo seal of quality was more about charging pubs for the price of the chip in the carts then it was about quality games. However, Nintendo did understand what caused the mess on Atari/Colleco/etc. And in part, by upping the anti(dev/pub cost) it weeded out a lot of the sheer crap that could flood a platform. Something, btw that Nintendo themself seem to have laxed up with Wii software/shovelware. Also take a look at the xbox indie selection to see what cheap(ish) unmonitered game dev/pub gets you. For every Miner Dig Deep or SoulCaster is a glutoney of crapola. So I agree with Manu here, Nintendos stance on quality assurence during the 8 and 16 bit days helped strengthen the industry with solid titles. Today, perhaps not so much.

Something else to think about: price. Next gen console price to be specific. Any guesses? Clues or hints? I am guessing new sony/MS systems will run 600usd for low end and prolly both have “premium” models for 750/800usd. Maybe more. I think more then anything else, the prohibitive cost of next gen is why we have been stuck in this gen so long. Companies knew going forward would be pricey whne this gen started. They were in no hurry.

My point is that a 1000usd all in one box from Apple(or anyone else), isn’t really that bad next to a 750usd game box from MS or Sony. Its the whole dedicated handheld vs smart phone principle really. All Vitas/3DS systems do is play games. Even meager web browsing pales in comparison to smart phones and what they offer.

Going forward into next gen, you better do a lot more then games. I don’t think that is going to be an issue given how much the current systems(PS360)s have evoleved into doing this gen. But I do think, esp if the focus shifts away from just games – like handheld vs smart phone) it opens the door for more companies to get involved. Toss in cross platform “cloud” gaming that could run on a toaster, and you have a very interesting gen or two shapping up. And if any company could take a stab at a market like that, I say Apple could.

27. OlderGamer

Also while I fully understand that many parts of the UK/EU don’t have steller broadband. And this is not a put down, but, your only a marginaly small piece of the whole pie. Just because your lagging behind doesn’t mean that the industry will slow down to wait for those markets to catch up. Esp if the market is being driven by NA focused development and or sales.

That being said, i think the intergration of fully cloud based games/movies/etc is prolly still a ways off. I say one more mostly traditional games gen before something like that takes over. And even if cloud stuff takes off, I expect to see physical media right along side digital media for some time still. While the low banbwidth markets will shrink over time, it will take awhile and noone will want to stop selling to those markets one way or another.

28. DSB

We don’t expressly disagree here. Just on the causality.

In my mind there’s a big difference between ensuring quality and charging devs and publishers. You can quite easily do the former without resorting to the latter.

Of course a license issuer would say that quality assurance is a huge cost to their company, and that that warrants the extra expense to their partners, but to me that falls into the excuse category, just like shutting down online features, or charging 10 bucks per account.

29. OlderGamer

Yep, your right DSB.

30. Gheritt White

@ #27: You’re 100% right. As far as I know, only one publisher really cares all that much about Europe – Ubisoft. Even Codemasters is focused on the North American market.

Convergence could well kill consoles, just as it is doing to handhelds – it all just depends on when. If Apple release the iTV in 2012, how long before the likes of LG, Samsung and Panasonic follow up? Models would be out by mid-2013, no doubt.

That would put the launch of new Sony and Microsoft consoles for Xmas 2013 in serious jeopardy.

And this is coming from someone who cannot *wait* for an Xbox 720. Until this Apple iTV stuff became apparent, I didn’t foresee the death of consoles until 2020 at the very earliest (everyone knows that the next one will be the last “proper” console gen). Now… well, I’m just not so sure.

And before anyone calls me a fanboy again – Microsoft and Sony don’t really care about gamers. There are far more potential “digital entertainment consumers” than gamers out there, so that’s where the big money is and that’s what they’ll go after.

31. OwningXylophone

@OG&GW

“While the low bandwidth markets will shrink over time, it will take awhile and no-one will want to stop selling to those markets one way or another.”

This is the point I was making, that the iTV (or similar convergent devices) will not make the next gen consoles redundant due to infrastructure and the fact that these companies want to make as much money as possible. The generation after that? Probably, but I fully expect MS & Sony will be in the mix by then with similar devices of their own, especially as there is already PS branded phones & TV’s.

32. Lounds

This will be off subject but…

@Gheritt White

You sir are ignorant, have a bad attitude, you are angry and agressive, I see VG247 as a nice place for people to talk about games. Yet all we get is cunt’s like you that ruin it for fokes. Nice one.

33. chipvideo

Would be nice if the next generation of xbox’s had a cable card slot built in. That way I could ditch my crappy comcast boxes. I have two tivos, but dont feel like buying two more of them. I am still surprised msft hasn’t bought tivo yet. Maybe they plan on this year. Who knows.

34. Lounds

@Chipvideo

Doesn’t Cisco own tivo?

If so M$ would never buy it off them, they would charge them far too much for it.

35. slader

If you want to be up to date with all news OnLive, you’re welcome to visit OnLiveSpot.

36. Gheritt White

@ #32: That’s “cunts”, not “cunt’s”.