3DS sells close to 500,000 Japanese units in record week

Wednesday, 4th January 2012 01:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Media Create’s sales figures for the week ending December 25, 2011 -released over the holiday break – paint a grim picture for Sony’s new hardware.

Hardware – combined SKU

3DS – 482,200

PSP – 101,121

Wii – 91,176

PS3 – 75,943

Vita – 72,479

DS – 14,396

Xbox 360 – 4,245

PS2 – 1,582

After failing to equal the 3DS’s launch figures, sales of the Vita didn’t pick up pace in its second week at Japanese retail, shifting just 72,479 units.

In the wake of poor sales, PlayFront reports Japanese retailers have cut prices on the more expensive 3G version of the console by up to 20%.

The 3DS, on the other hand, had an exceptionally strong week, pulling 482,200 sales and passing the 4 million milestone.

It’s a one-sided battle at the moment, but the holiday delay means we’re getting close to Media Create’s next release, so stay tuned to see if New Year sales bring any change.

Software
On the software side, the Vita didn’t even enter the top 20. Again, the 3DS dominated – Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land proved holiday favourites, and Monster Hunter G charted again.

If not for franchise favourites Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Warriors Orochi 2 (that’s Warriors Orochi 3 by western numbering), Nintendo would have had a clean sweep of the top ten, with the ageing Wii surging once more.

See the full breakdown below, with last week’s sales in parentheses, and check last week’s figures here.

Software Top 20 by platform

Wii – 9
3DS – 5
PS3 – 3
DS – 2
PSP – 1

Media Create Software Top 20, December 19-25

1. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 260,836 (1,050,706)
  2. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 2 – 200,526 (NEW)
  3. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land – 174,566 (1,011,709)
  4. [3DS] Monster Hunter Tri G – 155,069 (885,456)
  5. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 – 118,816 (643,033)
  6. [Wii] Kirby’s Return to Dream Land – 114,545 (513,061)
  7. [Wii] Just Dance Wii – 96,771 (420,064)
  8. [3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D – 90,873 (NEW)
  9. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark – 86,026 (221,285)
  10. [Wii] Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Xtreme – 85,117 (NEW)
  11. [Wii] Wii Party – 71,461 (2,200,697)
  12. [PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A’s Portable: The Gears of Destiny – 57,320 (NEW)
  13. [Wii] PokePark 2: Beyond the World - 55,344 (219,362)
  14. [Wii] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Ketteiban – 55,256 (155,539)
  15. [Wii] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games – 52,611 (117,185)
  16. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – Dubbed Edition – 51,156 (NEW)
  17. [DS] Magician’s Quest: Osharena Mahoutsukai – 50,074 (131,184)
  18. [DS] One Piece: Gigant Battle! 2 New World – 49,921 (257,379)
  19. [Wii] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus – 48,929 (782,975)
  20. [Wii] Mario Kart Wii – 43,752 (3,428,903)

1. Lightmanone

Wow.. this is actually amazing news for “us” guys/girls. The lower the sales for the Vita in Japan, the lower the price will be in the US and the EU to make sure that failure doesn’t repeat itself. I am so gonna wait atleast a few months before I am gonna consider buying the Vita… haha. Let the prices drop massively and when it hits the 150.. maybe I will buy it then ;)

2. Telepathic.Geometry

@1: I think that this is bad news fans for Vita fans, the less traction it has, the fewer games it’ll have, and the less devs will be prepared to spend/take risks on that console. Granted, I don’t understand the business side of any of this, but that’s how it seems to me…

3. OlderGamer

Like I said Vita sales will be a trickle at best. esp in the west. I imagine it will pick up with the release of key JPN games. Good luck in the west. No one is gonna give up their smartphones for a VITA or a 3DS, and owning both a dedicated, pricy handheld game system and a smartphone will seem redundant. Made worse by the fact that most western big name games will likly have home console version. Why play a watered down LBP on VITA when you could own one of the PS3 versons?

4. Dannybuoy

I’m pleased to say I have a Vita coming my way on Monday. A mate just got back from China. Wifi version with Uncharted and a 4 GB card for £250. Sounds pretty good to me. I’m sure Vita will gain ground. Have some faith. I also have an iPhone 4 and really don’t like gaming on it. Much prefer the idea of tangible controls.

5. Johnny Cullen

My Vita arrived last night. You may get a full blown piece on it by tomorrow or Friday.

6. Patrick Garratt

I’m interested to see if 3DS software aside from the “big ones” can make any serious headway, and whether or not hardware sales hold up outside the holiday seasons. I was surprised with the US numbers announced yesterday. It’s moving pretty strongly now. Look forward to seeing some worldwide data and getting a sense of European sales.

7. Joe Musashi

Amazing. Nintendo finally get what should have been their big-hitter launch titles out and the hardware shifts a bundle. I’m sure nobody saw that coming.

Iwata’s remark about how it’s outperforming the Wii for the same period is pure PR, however. The Wii came with its own killer-app game and the Wii didn’t see the need for a very hefty price cut within those first 9 months. It’s a classic case of take one stat (9 months on market) and removing all other context from it.

@3 Nobody HAS to give up their smart-device for Vita. What so many people and pundits ignore is the pricing model of software for the platforms. Apps/tablet gaming follows a ‘race to the bottom’ pricing structure. $0.99 stuff. An upshot of that is you’re never going to see developers invest the same level of resource into a product pitched to sell at that price – no matter how much return it will make. The closest you get is Infinity Blade or Rage and both of those are very much tech-demos with extremely limited gaming plonked in. Yet both of those are championed as setting the standard for that platform.

Handhelds like 3DS and Vita are not dedicated to that pricing structure and so are not competing for that sale. It’s easy, obvious and, of course, sensationalist to say “iPad will kill 3DS and Vita!!!!!111″ but that’s simply not how they’re competing. Look at the pricing structure and methodology in their revenue streams and you’ll see very significant differences.

PS: I own an iPad but not a 3DS or Vita. :)

JM

8. Da Man

^Yet both of those are championed as setting the standard for that platform.
    I have no idea where you got that. Rage iOS is among the most boring titles for the platform, got a 6 from Edge.

Which is why in the last two or so years we’ve started to see more and more $12 priced ones.

People tend to purchase smartphones which can play Chaos Rings, not the other way around..

To me, buying £44.99 priced pocket games is downright crazy.

9. ManuOtaku

I own a 3DS, and i love it, and also love the tech behind it, it really works, and i will be getting the vita too, because i want to support dedicated gaming handled devices, and i think all the gamers than can do it (money wise), they should do it in order to keep dedicated gaming handled devices on the market, and to prove that the asumption of IPAD/IOS gaming will take the dedicated handled devices is wrong, i wish for the success of both the vita and the 3DS.
    P.S topic related great numbers for the 3DS, it really took momentum, with games and the price cut, that clearly are the things it needed it to start selling great numbers, and i think vita will need this too, i mean a price cut ( on the vita and on the cards too) and a killer app in japan to turn things around.

10. OlderGamer

Well first thing in my mind to dispell the idea that i think iPads or tablets in general are better then handhelds(Vita/3DS), or that I think such devices are competing or will trump handhelds.

In fact most core gamers that hear me say smartphone > then handhelds often misunderstand the bases for my thinking entirely.

It isn’t about the tech in the devices themself. It isn’t just about the price of the hardware or the games themself(tho that does factor in). It isn’t about the quality of the games.

For the masses it boils down to need(percieved or not). The average person will tell you that they need a phone for their day to day life, beit for work, as a PDA, as a social networking tool, useful apps(my wife uses hers from everything a dietary tool to a navagator when traveling), or just as a phone. A quality phone can change the way you live day to day.

A handheld just plays games.

Also, if your looking at games and comparing so called core games across platforms, your still missing some major points. Vita games and 3DS games ARE fully competing against Angry Birds.

Why?

This is where price point comes into play. Would Angry Birds sell if it was 50usd? How about this … how many more copies would say Mario 3D or Uncharted Vita sell if they were priced at 99cents? If your not following me, think of it this way – almost no one buys a smart phone to play Angry Birds. Its just there, its cheap, its fun, and it sells millions.

Most people don’t buy smart phones to play games. Everyone buying a dedicated handheld does so to play games. The difference is that the smart phones do so much more. But the many gamers will always think it is going to be about just the games.

I am not suprissed one bit to read that some people own both a dedicated handheld and a smartphone. Core gamers will likly do that. But the masses are not core gamers. They see the smart phones as a daily need, and a bonus is that the thing also plays games, many of them priced cheaply enough that having a handful of digitaly downloaded titles is not only affordable, but also convienate.

As far as why core gamers aren’t wowed by handhelds, speaking only for myself: its price point of hardware, price point of games, the fact that the games on them are also on consoles, and I just don’t find myself in a situation where I am outside my home with enough time on my hands to sink into a game longer then or with more depth then … something like angry birds to begin with.