Game Informer says “old school gamers will freak out” over feature in next issue

Tuesday, 3rd January 2012 18:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Game Informer’s teasing its next issue, which will apparently contain a feature on a new installment in a series which “old school gamers will freak out over.” It won’t be the actual game readers will “freak” over though, but the studio behind the development of it. The reveal is set for this coming Thursday, January 5, and GAF users are speculating it could be a new Road Rash entry from Criterion or evenĀ a Valve-developed
Blade Runner title. Thanks, CVG.

1. Lounds

Just poo’d myself with excitement.

2. KAP

CoolSpot being developed by Starbreeze then?

3. OrbitMonkey

If current gaming trend is anything to go by, the response to whatever this is will be fevered speculation, followed by vehement hate that a half remembered, barely played classic has been *ruined*….

4. Fin

Yup.

IT’S NOT METAL GEAR/SYNDICATE ANY MORE. MY LIFE IS OVER.

5. DSB

“old school gamers” could mean pretty much anything.

If it turns out to be Road Rash, I’m gonna shit myself. That would be too good, but I doubt that it had enough of an audience to really be brought back.

Valve doing a licensed game sounds utterly deranged to me.

The whole “studio, not game” line sounds pretty retarded to me. If it isn’t the game, then fuck it.

6. Freek

realisticly; it’ll be some obscure studio doing a new third person action adventure game and everybody will wonder: “is that what all the fuss was about?”

7. xino

@
    you mean you poo’d yourself with excrement

8. OrbitMonkey

Just who are considered “old school gamer” devs now anyway? All the guys I heard of when I started gaming are still going strong… Can’t think of any I haven’t heard of in awhile…

9. Gekidami

^ They’re either going strong or have outright shut down. Seems a bit odd to say that some old dev will just return from nowhere, its not like a studio can sleep and wake up whenever it wants…

10. Edo

Spark Unlimited doing SW Battlefront 3 perhaps…

11. Gekidami

^ Those guys are hardly old school, or worth ‘freaking out’ over.

12. The_Red

I love Valve but unless it’s a HD upgrade for the sublime Westwood Blade Runner game, I don’t care. They might make a great first person BR game but NOTHING can touch that adventure classic.

13. Lounds

@12 the late Team Bondi would of been perfect for the BR game imo.

14. The_Red

Good call. Heck, I kinda want to believ that many of their ideas for interrogations sequences were based on Westwoods’ BR.

15. LOLshock94

this could be the makers of tomb raiders new game

16. OlderGamer

Its Syndicate. In FPS form.

17. Gheritt White

Er… don’t Warner Bros own the rights to Blade Runner?

If so, then why would they give it to an external developer like Valve instead of one of their own internal videogame studios (Rocksteady/NetherRealm/Monolith etc)?