Rumour: God of War IV to feature online co-op

Sunday, 1st January 2012 10:12 GMT By Johnny Cullen

PSM3′s reporting that the unannounced God of War IV will feature an online co-op mode.

Spoilers for God of War III below.

The UK mag, which reported in April last year that the sequel would launch in 2012, said it will have an online co-op mode featuring Kratos and his dead brother Deimos.

The full rumour, read in its latest issue (via Sillegamer), says: “Why is it hot? It’s bringing double Kratos to the series. GOW4 was confirmed to PSM3 mid-2011 by a reliable source, and rumours point to a multiplayer twist. Mad idea? Online co-op with a (possibly) dead Kratos and (very) dead brother Deimos teaming up to escape the afterlife.”

In March 2011, developer Sony Santa Monica posted a job listing looking for a “senior online programmer” to join the GoW team.

The franchise’s last big release was God of War III in March 2010 for PS3, with spin-off Ghost of Sparta coming out in the tail end of that same year for PSP from Ready at Dawn.

1. The_Red

I think 2012 is too soon for a second GOW on PS3 (Excluding the HD collections of course). Hopefully they are not going to rush it and instead focus on making it better than the previous one. While GOW3 had some brilliant moments along with insanely awesome violence, the story and gameplay as a whole left me kinda disappointed.

Of course that may be due to the uber awesomeness of GOW1 and 2 but still…

2. KAP

You got a point mate, I was so excited for GOW3 too and I still think its one of the best PS3 games ive ever played. The pace of the game was not quite there compared to part 1 and 2.

Example: If you notice, god of war 1 and 2 pace was a little like the film children of men in the sense that you you almost never take your eyes of the main character, there was a long take after long take that made it feel more of an epic story to me and even though gow3 was still epic in scale there were moments that the screen cut to black to many times making it feel disjointed, it maybe just me but I loved 2′s pace and was hoping the same.

Regardless though God Of War 3 and pretty much kick most games asses in terms of ass kickery. Fucking great title.

If you dont believe me… watch this: http://youtu.be/3MBJv5D5OUw

That clip is the definition of my love for everything God Of War!

3. Johnny Cullen

I don’t think it’s too late to introduce a second main God of War title in the gen, tbh. Sony’s done it before, innit: they released God of War II on PS2 the same month PS3 came out in Europe in 2007, and months after it first launched in Japan and the US. It was announced at GDC in March the previous year (2006).

4. KAP

Very true, the fact of the matter is alot of people are writing off this gen already when in my eyes this gen (PS3 in general) is finally hitting its stride!

5. Razor

“(PS3 in general) is finally hitting its stride!”

You’ve been listening to Jack Tretton, haven’t you :)

6. KAP

lol

If PS3 getting software line up of the year twice in a row isn’t hitting its stride I dunno what is mate? seriously…

7. The_Red

I hadn’t thought of that. Great comparison. Still, I have other problems with GOW3 too. The new gameplay elements felt too small and the story was mostly aimless / messy.

Exactly. They released the 2nd GOW for PS2 when PS3 was coming out. It really feels too soon for GOW4.

8. Razor

Relax KAP, it’s a joke.

Every year without fail at E3 Tretton says the PS3 is only just hitting its stride. It was apparently only just hitting its stride in ’08, ’09′ ’10 and ’11…

9. Tontus

lol, why do internet nerds feel the need to fabricate faults in great games? God of War III is easily the best in the franchise, then 2 > GOS > COO > 1.

“The new gameplay elements felt too small”.

That doesn’t make sense, very weak criticism, the gameplay was improved a ton over all the other God of War games, L1 + O alone makes the gameplay so much smoother and more dynamic, then you have 4 unique weapons with their own gameplay styles, and then another 3 unique sub-weapons which ensures the gameplay never feels repetitive and is a huge improvement over any other game in the series. Another HUGE improvement is how magic is attached to each of the 4 weapons themselves so you have access to all of your magic very quick and easily rather than having to go to a menu to change the magic you want to use and only being able to have 2 to select from. Gameplay is absolutely perfect now, no matter what a minority of internet nerds say.

“the story was mostly aimless / messy.” Another silly criticism, you obviously didn’t pay attention if were incapable of following it without trouble, and the story is the closing third of a story arc started in 1 & 2, how can it possibly be aimless.

The aim way perfectly clear but I’m not going to waste my time explaining it to just one moronic internet nerd, play it again and pay attention this time or just go here http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/God_of_War_III and read about it. I thought the story was amazing, especially for a game when 99% of games have awful stories, Bioshock, God of War, Alan Wake and maybe Mass Effect are the only games with great stories.

“there were moments that the screen cut to black to many times making it feel disjointed” I’ve played the game 8 times, and I’ve NEVER noticed the screen fade to black, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t, so the question is why fabricate an excuse to criticise a great game? Disjointed is just a REALLY lazy way to critique a game without actually backing up your complaint at all, futile is what I’d describe your comment as.

God of War III had by far the best pacing, I’ve never played a game that flowed so well and kept my attention every second of the game which lasted 12 hours for me.

God of War III was the closest game to perfect I’ve ever played, if the sequel launches in the second half of 2012 (which I’m pretty sure it won’t, expect a March 2013 release) how the hell would that be too soon? That’s 2 and a half years after 3 came out, which is more than enough time especially now that they already have an engine created unlike 3 when they had to make an engine from scratch.

Every God of War game sequel has been better than its predecessor, so far God of War III is by far the best in the franchise, and I’m expecting God of War IV to be even better, not just close to prefect like 3, but actually achieve 100% perfection… Yes and I know that’s not possible, there’s always going to be haters and trolls as evident by some of the ridiculous comments above… But since when did the insignificant minority matter lol.

10. Ireland Michael

Hopefully this time they’ll actually bother to update the gameplay mechanics.

11. Clupula

I like the mechanics the way they are.

However, the biggest improvement I saw in GOW3 was in graphics. The story and boss battles weren’t as good as GOW2. In my opinion, GOW2 is still the height of the series, with Ghost of Sparta second, GOW3 third, GOW1 fourth, and COO last, as that one is pretty boring.

12. Clupula

@9 – are you really Stig? GOW3 was a good game, but it was nowhere near close to perfection, and I say that as a fan of the series.

As I said above, GOW2 had a lot better pacing, story, and overall battles than GOW3. Not saying GOW3 is a bad game (the only game in the series I’d actually call bad would be Chains of Olympus), but it’s not the height of the series in anything but graphics.

13. KAP

WOW, just…. wow.

From the looks of it your clearly a big fan of the God Of War franchise after reading you completed the title 8 times yet you cant seem to remember the many times the game faded to black.

Like when Kratos was climbing up the chain of olympus, remember? suddenly reappearing in another room. Its minor but I personally didnt like that.

You can almost count the footsteps Kratos makes in GOW 1 & 2 and I absolutely loved that about these titles.

I’m not ashamed to admit that I LOVE God Of War 1 2 and 3 with Ghost Of Sparta being my secret personal favorite. But with 3 I just thought that everything was perfect apart from feeling a little “disjointed”.

And don’t get me started on the ending. David Jaffes ending sounded 1,000x better*

Kratos taking on all the known religions would have been F.U.C.K.I.N.G E.P.I.C!!!!!!

*Because with Kratos dying simply doesn’t mean the same when he dies does it. lol

14. xino

I wish this is true.

true word, spot on!

that’s your opinion man…don’t make it official!
    you may not like GOW3, but others liked it better than you do.

how was Kratos climbing up chain of olympus a fauly?
    the chains are connected to Mount Olympus man, they hold the pandora’s box cage as well as the lybrinth.

Man this game is fucking amazing man.
    yes the story may have plot holes if I could recall. But the ending when Kratos found out what was instead the box was a let down to me.

And I think you got the wrong feeling of GOW3′s ending.
    It is up to the user to decide if Kratos dies or not.
    In the end, he walked to the edge of the cliff just like he did in GOW1 so the ending was spot on.

And if there is a GOW4, doesn’t that mean Kratos didn’t die!? so stop your silly opinion bullsh* about what you think of GOW3.

we all have different taste.

15. xxJPRACERxx

I want all the resources to be dedicated to the sp, I don’t care about mp in a GOW game. For me this is bad news.

16. KAP

Oh Shut up you joker. The fact that I write a comment about what I think about gow3 obviously means its my opinion doesn’t it?
    I even stated the franchise is one, if not my favourite. I never once stated what I thought was fact.
    Another commenter who skims thru others.. Then decides to play the white knight.

Talking of white knight, I hated that game. I better state that’s just my opinion before xino decides to commit Seppuku.
    Some people.

17. Deacon

(IMO, lol) GOW3 was great fun, but I fail to see how they can really expand on the mechanics without introducing some kind of multi/coop element.

Sure, they can plump for even greater visuals, but I doubt they could really improve that much over 3.

The combat is already as tight as can be.

The only other room I can see for improvement is to replace the QTE’s with something more skill-based.

I’ll not comment on the story as I’m not invested in it as some here obviously are.

18. xino

i must be making you laugh for you to think I’m a joker.

what makes you think I care what you think of GOW3? you can go paint your room with words saying how you thought GOW3 failed in certain areas…see if I care.

I’m only informing you that your opinion on what you think of GOW3 doesn’t justify that it is official. If you think they didn’t improve on the gameplay or anything, good luck to that.

My concern and only purpose is to wish that GOW4 is coming true and best yet…a co-op which i’m dying for!

19. KAP

You honestly did make me laugh, concerning yourself with my previous comment to now back tracking an not caring with what I said, I wish you’d not waste your time before so we can avoid your little hissy fit over a strangers opinions. Like I said, Joker.

Anyway good luck with your life, god knows you’ll need it.

Least we can agree with were both well excited for god of war 4. I hope they fix the disjointed nature of 3………….. lol

20. xino

so you believe in God now? don’t you think its quite stupid if you don’t believe in him to call on his name?

i love my life thanks for trying to care but I don’t need your worries.

I can’t wait for GOW4, amazing game from Santa Monica Studios, plus with co-op which will be insane!
    I truly hope it’s like gOW3 in every way with more improvements:)

21. KAP

Hahaha.

The internet is a fascinating thing. Love it.

22. HeavyD-Love

Loved GOW3, will definitley pick this up whenever it comes out. 2012 sounds good to me!!