Wed, Dec 21, 2011 | 16:03 GMT
Japanese charts: Vita launch fails to topple 3DS, FFXIII-2 debuts with 524k
Despite the launch of Vita last weekend, Nintendo’s 3DS still sits atop of the Japanese hardware charts, but Final Fantasy XIII-2 debuts with less than overwhelming sales numbers.
XIII-2 topped the software list for the week ending December 18 with 524,217 copies sold. This is a marked drop compared to Final Fantasy XIII, which sold between 1 million and 1.1 million units in Japan on day one alone in 2009.
The sales are for the PS3 version, with the 360 SKU not charting in the top 20.
The highest charting Vita launch title was Hot Shots Golf 6 in seventh, followed by Uncharted: Golden Abyss at eighth.
Also debuting inside the top 20 from Vita is Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11 Hitome no Suspect, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Dynasty Warriors Next and Lord of Apocalypse.
3DS holds off Vita in hardware battle
But Vita itself was unable to dislodge 3DS from the top of the hardware charts, with Vita selling 324,859 compared to 3DS’s 367,691.
PS3 came third with 65,119, while PSP maintained strong pace with 64,468 units sold.
The top ten software and hardware for the week ending December 18 is below. Last week’s data is here.
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) – 524.217
- Monster Hunter 3G (3DS) – 208.427
- Mario Kart 7 (3DS) – 182.418
- Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark (3DS) – 135.259
- Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) – 112.533
- Kirby’s Return to Dream Land (Wii) – 71.028
- Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita) – 61.412
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita) – 48.224
- Just Dance Wii (Wii) – 44.021
- PokePark 2: Beyond the World (Wii) – 43.829
- 3DS – 367.691
- PlayStation Vita – 324.859
- PS3 – 65.119
- PSP – 64.468
- Wii – 60.916
- DSi LL – 5.600
- DSi – 3.523
- DS Lite – 32