Report – Video quality down with new Xbox 360 dashboard

Monday, 19th December 2011 01:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A Digital Foundry report points to lower quality video playback since upgrading to the Xbox 360′s new dashboard.

According to Digital Foundry’s investigation, users of the new dashboard have complained that it “forces video content to run at limited range RGB levels, the net result being that colours are washed out, with blacks becoming grey”.

DF ran some comparisons and concluded that it’s “clear that the 360′s new dash is not functioning properly”. In addition to wash-out colours, DF found that “video compression artifacts are considerably more noticeable” and that “macroblocking that would be otherwise be less apparent within darker colours is now more readily visible”.

The site could find no solution to the problem in the console’s settings menus. Microsoft has made no comment on the matter.

Beta testers claim to have reported the issue to Microsoft prior to the dashboard update’s roll out, only to be thanked politely but advised that the feedback would not be incporporated in the final release.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Cygnar

But, but,

Only Sony is supposed to make stupid mistakes with its updates!

๏̯͡๏)

2. triggerhappy

This is why I NEVER update right away.

3. speedxl01

That’s bad (come on Xbox users you have to demand MS to fix this, and free online… j/k )

Let’s hope it gets fixed, with a update.

4. stretch215

It’s not really that bad.

5. speedxl01

@4 If you are not obsessive like some of us about picture quality then not, hehe.

6. Erthazus

Impossible, i thought only Sony can remove features from it’s overpriced products.

O_o

7. N2O1990

i know thats bad but this news is not about removing anything…

8. Samuel

It would be great if they fixed this, though of course it would be better if they first fixed the worse problem: the entire new dashboard.

9. mojo

7: what article are you reading?
    the one i see clearly sais the old dash had a feature which the new doesnt..
    to me that means the feature has gone, in other words got removed.

10. Moonwalker1982

Videos as in, videos that you can download and stream on XBL? Or do they mean actually DVD’s and stuff too?

11. WFMMK

@10 Video quality as in everything that is displayed on screen.

12. RandomTiger

Is it possible to roll back the dash?

13. Ireland Michael

Not if you want to go online, no.

14. frostquake

I am just SOOOOO tired of Microsoft constantly doing Updates. Microsoft, you don’t have to look like Phone on the TV with Apps! Yes I know you claim it is for Kinect, but then why call them Apps?

This Update, is HORRIBLE, well for me..It is just UGLY!! This is a Vista like failure in my opinion! That’s just me, though almost all my fiends hate it too!

I used to get daily news from MSNBC, by just clicking on the ones I wanted to watch. Now I have to set through a commercial that you can’t cancel out of, and then watch a wildly fluctuating video quality, with it automatically going to the next video, which I don’t want! Not to mention they basically buried the..cough..cough..App!

On top of all the CRAPTASTIC..360 Disc’s that are made in Mexico, that come sealed with special prizes like, Mexican Thumbprints…Looking at you La Noire and Red Faction, and Sealed copies having scratches all over them, Talking to you Skyrim and Warhammer!!

PS3 is my go to now, their “Dashboard or App” is so much nicer, and guess what the games come sealed and when you open them, they are just gorgeous with no Scratches or Mexican Thumbprints!!

15. Christopher Jack

Yet to update mine, since I rarely use my 360 for anything but Halo, I don’t have any qualms about lower video quality.

16. Fin

Troll harder bro. It was believable up until you used the word craptastic and started blaming the mexicans.

17. ManuOtaku

Well despite this news about the dash, i didnt notice them by the way, i like the new dashbord, the only thing i dont like is that the social and games windown should be next to each other, i mean the gaming windowns should be all first next to each other, because thats the primary action of the 360, then the other things like tv, music, etc but the first three whould be the gaming options all together, IMHO.

What i like the most of the new dashboard is that the first option when it pops up is that goes to the open tray action in order to play games first and foremost, and down you find the quickplay, really good IMHO.

18. freedoms_stain

Really? WORSE you say? It was never very good in the 1st place, letter boxed and crappy resolution.

19. joseangelhe

@14 and 16:

I am intrigued by this Mexican Thumbprint issue. I’m going through my all my Xbobx360 games and can’t find where it says that the discs were made in Mexico.

BTW, the only Mexican thumbprints on my Xbox discs are my own.

20. NiceFellow

Doubt it’ll matter much. If you’re really worried about visual quality the 360 was never a good choice anyway so this hardly matters much.

PS3 has always been ahead of 360 for media as are other options.

The 360 offers decent media and decent media streaming which seems enough for most. Also, unless this is required for some reason I presume it’ll be fixed soon enough back to the old – still not great – quality level.

21. DaMan

#18 Letter boxed? What kind of videos were you watching?

22. Freek

@11, No. Just video content, games are uneffected. The settings bug effects the video player only.
    And if your x360 is hooked up to a TV that does not support the extened RGB range you will not notice it anyway.

23. HeavyD-Love

Well I have noticed it’s certainly MUCH SLOWER with loading up the friends list.

But I agree with 20 anyway. PS3 outshines 360 as a multi-media player by a landslide anyway.

24. DSB

It’s Microsoft. If you’ve ever used one of their products in the past, you expect this sort of thing to happen.

Every now and then it all goes to Vista.

25. stretch215

@20&23 what? I have both and there is no difference in video quality between the consoles . At least not on my 50 inch led.

26. stretch215

Also, the only difference in the post update 360 that I noticed is that it takes time to build up to Max resolution, whereas before the videos would start at Max resolution.

27. Ireland Michael

The issue here is with the colour range projected by television. “Limited” RGB is actually the standard for most televisions, and if things are appearing washed out or dull, you should simply alter your TV’s own settings.

Strangely enough, this was actually sorted out in the NXE dashboard, by simply allowing you to use “Extended” RGB colour settings. I honestly have no idea why something like that would be removed. Has it?

There seems to be an issue based on what I’ve read on other sites where the colour settings are bouncing around and not remaining static when people do different things on their console. It sounds to me like Microsoft tried to implement some sort of automated process for the whole thing. It clearly isn’t working as intended. It’s clearly a bug.

Anyway, the 360 is horrible for media playback. If you have a PS3, just use that.