SCE Santa Monica: Sorcery not possible on Kinect or Wii

Friday, 16th December 2011 03:33 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Upcoming PS Move adventure Sorcery is too hardcore and precise for rival motion control systems, Sony reckons.

“I think this title does an excellent job of showing what makes Move a better and different system than other motion controls that are out there,” creative director Brian Upton told IndustryGamers.

“It’s tighter, it’s cleaner, it’s more precise – I don’t think you could do a game like this on either Kinect or Wii. I don’t think technically they’d be able to support this kind of gameplay.”

Upton said that one of the team’s goals is to show off “exactly how much gameplay you could get out of really tight motion control”.

“The fact that aiming really makes a difference in the game – and the different control nuances – if you’re a good player this translates into real gameplay improvements,” he said.

“That’s attention to detail that more serious gamers are interested in. It’s not, ‘Oh I can just button mash my way through.’ By actually mastering the system, I can feel like I’m a more powerful gamer. The fact that Move is so precise, it lets us create that very technical focused, skill-based motion control game.”

The director noted that the game is aimed at a more hardcore crowd than many competing titles.

“Most motion games are intended to be very, very casual. They have an almost Simon Says quality to them,” he said.

“We wanted something that would appeal to a more hardcore audience and would have depth and complexity.”

As promised, Sorcery broke its long silence this week with a new set of screenshots and trailer showing of the game’s revamped visuals. The game is due exclusively on PlayStation 3 in northern spring.

1. Erthazus

“Upcoming PS Move adventure Sorcery is too hardcore”

:D

2. Brenna Hillier

“…. Sony reckons” ;)

3. shogoz

How many people besides Sony bother using the move? its a sad downside of being innovative in a way because third party developers are less likely to incorporate the move or kinect if the game will appear on both consoles.

4. Kaufer

Capcom, Valve, Ubisoft, and Irrational Games. Namco with a few of theirs and some other Japanese devs.

5. shogoz

….oops :P…didn’t notice that. Ignore my last comment.

6. mojo

headline is missleading.

he said he “thinks” its not possible. doesnt mean that it in fact isnt possible.
    get ur facts straight.

7. Gurdil

@6 The headline suggests it’s SCE Santa Monica’s opinion, hence the “SCE Santa Monica:”…

8. mojo

no it suggests that its a fact. which it is not.

9. Gurdil

@8 Well I might be wrong but I think it’s widely accepted that if you put “A Name: A statement” as a title/headline, it means “A statement” is not a quote, sure, but a short version of what “A Name” said… Plus, it’s been that way on vg247 since the beginning.

10. ManuOtaku

Well it have a lot to prove especially since the great motion control game Zelda Skyward Sword, the good gunstringer game and to a lesser extent red steel 2, lets see if this can surpass those three before mentioned games, now my interest is peak in order to find out if this statement holds any true in it.

11. OlderGamer

I agree with Manu, I think they should play a bit of Zelda before they open their mouth. That or maybe we are expecting too much from Scorcery?

12. Gadzooks!

Sony are masters at promising the world and massively under-delivering.

We can safely file this PR under ‘Guff’

13. freedoms_stain

The gameplay from the trailer the other day looked pretty bland to me, I think they’re gonna have to back up their claims.

14. back_up