Remedy to self-publish Alan Wake PC – all the details

Friday, 16th December 2011 13:04 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Remedy’s confirmed it will be the publisher of Alan Wake for PC when it launches on Steam early next year.

The confirmations comes after confusion reigned on if the Finnish studio or Microsoft would be doing publishing duties, with the latter releasing the 360 version in May 2010, as well as publishing the upcoming American Nightmare for Xbox Live Arcade.

But In the first of two confirmations, Remedy community manager Peter Papadopoulos said on its forums: “Microsoft is still the publisher of Alan Wake’s American Nightmare, which is being released on XBLA in early 2012.

“As for Alan Wake PC, it’s a Remedy self published title which is coming to Steam, also being released early in 2012.”

Further information came from MikkiRMD, aka Remedy writer Mikko Rautalahti, who also noted the concern of PC gamers following the initial cancelation in February 2010.

“I can genuinely appreciate that people were frustrated — and it was frustrating for us as well, because it was out of our hands at the time. These things can get pretty complicated.”

It was confirmed yesterday it would use Steamworks, not GFWL, as its platform.

1. DSB

Fuck yeah! No GFWL, no Microsoft!

Butthurt PC gamers: Invalidated.

2. OlderGamer

Way to drop the ball MS!

3. Colin Gallacher

Excellent. Can’t wait for the Alan Wake TF2 Thermos flask :D

4. Maximum Payne

I hope NOW they now what are they doing.

5. khawaja07

Yep. Mikki replied to my comment right there :P.. iam “Khawaja007″.

Again thanks Mikki!

6. loki

Remedy self idiots. Fail anyway

7. The_Red

Well, MS did kill the Xbox version by releasing it AT THE SAME FREAKING time as RockStar’s Red Dead and forgot to market it properly. Remedy doesn’t have the marketing power but at least they can release it in a better time.

Also, while it has been getting a lot of mixed reviews, I still consider it a superb game on par with rest of Remedy’s works.

8. NeoSquall

Well duh, “self publishing trough Steam” isn’t the same as self publishing on retail.
    Appreciate the effort, though.

9. xxJPRACERxx

One of my favorite game on 360. I’ll get it day1 on PC.

10. fearmonkey

I bought it day 1 for the 360, got the collector’s edition, but wouldnt mind playing it again on the PC in higher res. I wonder how much better it will look, it was a beautiful game on 360.

11. tontsa91

This is fucking AWESOME! :)

Finally I get to see what the game was all about. I loved Max Payne 1 and 2… and I’m finnish so there is no way I can skip this now :)

12. blackdreamhunk

max out the graphics and game play then I will get it.

13. back_up

games are on 2 platform
    1st where there is 100% piracy
    and 2nd there is 100 % RROD

14. TheWulf

Nice to see them self-publishing.

@8 – No, but it is realistic for independents. Asking an independent to publish retail is like asking your dog to fart in your favourite flavour. Whilst you would certainly like these things to occur in your reality, the elements to facilitate these outcomes just doesn’t exist. There are no retail channels to enable independents and your dog doesn’t talk monkey.

Digital platforms like Steam are enablers. An independent developer can send their game along to these platforms and have them become available to a wide variety of people, a very large audience indeed. And Steam does a nice little bit of marketing for its independents, too. So it is the realistic choice.

@13 – Man, lay off those PS3 fumes, will you? I know you enjoy lighting your PS3 on fire, so that you might inhale its fumes to get in touch with your inner PlaySlave, but this is causing some particularly obvious cellular degradation. Your brain is suffering for it. We can all see it.

It’s not good for you, man, no matter how much of an insane console cultist you are. Lay off it for a few days and your thoughts will probably become clearer. Though how you’re not dead already from all the plastic fumes is beyond me.