Report indicates next-gen Xbox coming 2013, design lead swapped

Thursday, 15th December 2011 23:35 GMT By Andrew Groen

A report by CNET.com has indicated that the next generation Xbox console will be arriving in 2013, citing unnamed sources. It’s far from an official confirmation, but as Brenna pointed out yesterday, a much better guess than 2012.

There’s also word today that the design lead on the Xbox 720 project has been swapped. According to CNET, Don Coyner (the past lead) has been replaced by Emma Williams who was part of the team that just revamped the Xbox dashboard. She was officially “general manager of Xbox experiences.”

Via GameSpot.

1. Charlie Sheen

as if it really looks like that…

2. Erthazus

UFO XBOX :D

Anyway, Next gen need to come faster than this because since Crysis 1 in 2007 there was not a lot of games with huge graphical leap not to mention that games will be different than corridor FPS games.

3. Fin

So what bro? The games are still fun.
    Also, there’s some game that’s not a corridor FPS that’s done well recently… What’s it called again… Oh yeah, fucking Skyrim.

4. osric90

@2 Michael Bay whould say that. Del Toro would say you’re one shallow SOB. One is one of the greatest filmmakers of our times, the other is some dude playing with explosions. Take a guess.

5. IL DUCE

Well, well, well….

@1 Lol yeah I know, they always make the next gen concepts look completely alien…pretty much just end up looking like slimmer, sleeker, more efficient machines…

6. Erthazus

@3, the only problem is that SKYRIM does not have 40 enemies around you with explosions and top notch graphical fidelity. Its a beautiful game but SKYRIM does not have scripted events and it’s AI is just horrible.

“So what bro? The games are still fun.”

If you started playing FPS games this gen than of course. Corridor shooters were since i don’t know. Wolfenstein 3D. It was fun than. It was fun playing Call of duty 1 in 2003. Now, it’s a chore.

7. Ireland Michael

@6 “Now its a chore.”

Only for you, buddy. Only for you.

Most of the rest of us aren’t wrapped up in a cocoon of graphical obsession like you are. We can still appreciate the greats for what they are, without obsessing over the graphical resolution of the games or how heavily anti-aliased something is or isn’t.

8. Erthazus

@7, sorry, but my comment has nothing to do with anti-aliasing or graphical resolution.
    When i say bout graphics i mean just a huge leap like between PS2 and Xbox 360.

and it’s important for me and not only for me. If you don’t care, well than, it’s your problem. I want my games to be good and i want them to look good like Witcher II or TRINE 2.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 I know exactly what you meant. I was simply using those two things as a basic illustration of your childish obsession with needing a certain level of graphical fidelity purely to enjoy your gaming experiences.

The point still stands. 90% of us don’t gives a flying fuck about the graphics as long as the gameplay is good.

10. FeaturePreacher

It better have 4-8 GB of physical memory and 1 GB of video memory to make enough of a leap from the current gen. Otherwise, Sony could quite easily capitalize from such an error. It would be even better if it had a slide out touch screen with rear facing camera on the controller.

11. OrbitMonkey

Well if we’re all guessing…

1gig RAM, built in Kinnect and Gears Kinnect launch game ;-)

12. polygem

i would love to see that it will look like this ufo mock up, but it wont.
    i am ready for a new gen. the tech is outdated, no question but it doesn´t mean that all the games are shit. in fact the opposite is true. there are better and better games coming. just look at 2011 and to what´s coming in 2012. they are not all linear, corridor games. not even on the shooter side. there was crysis, far cry 2 was pretty cool too and there is halo just to name a few. is portal 2 a corridor shooter or not and then who cares? it´s an amazing looking game with a great artdesign and gameplay concept…so its is a fun game. thats all that counts. sure improvement in enemey ai and a next step in the graphics department is overude but as long as games like skyrim, batman and next year halo 4 are coming i´m fine with that.
    as i posted already elsewhere: i am having a little halo revival right now and just yesterday i thought while playing halo reach mp that this game actually looks perfect. it isn´t photorealistic, there are no partical effects flying around on screen, it looks clean but very good, a little comical but thats just great imho. the sp ai is also pretty good. this game is fun as hell for me. this gen is still alive.

13. viralshag

@Orbit, “built in Kinect”

Never… Like a console manufacturer would remove the option to sell you additional peripherals. :P

Saying that I could be wrong, MS did include built-in WiFi on their new Xbox models. Shame that wasn’t the case from the get go.

Either way, if I do get another console and had to choose one I was most looking forward to, it would be the new Xbox over another PlayStation.

14. DaMan

Erthazus being a babbling debil here as usual I see. I’m still amazed how a person can spend years on internet yet still fail to grasp the basics of tongue everyone is speaking, like the word ‘chore’ for instance.

While we’re at it, CoD with even more players would be precisely that .

I know some non corridor looking games, one of them starts with an ‘H’. Oooh.

Not to mention that the leap between Xbox and Xbox360 wasn’t as huge as between PS2 and the latter. But then commies pirate games for emulators anyway, so..

15. ManuOtaku

I prefer the model on the brenna topic it was futuristic and really nice looking, this one looks like a robotech spaceship of the centraedis.

Having said that i think the new generation will assure 1080 p with +60 hz, the leap will not be that big in order to keep and affordable console that will not surpass the +350$, the manufacturers learn for the PS3 and 3DS pricepoint issue, therefore to sum it up the leap will be good but not that great graphics wise, besides iam in the side that games on consoles look great already, even some wii games look good IMHO, i think we need to expand gameplay more than graphics IMHO.

16. fearmonkey

@9 – Some of us yes, and for them let them eat Wii……..

I love Retro games, and I play them from time to time. I also play my Dreamcast, original Xbox (which is modded to play all the old console games), old PC games etc. However, the better the games get graphically the more immersive they become. I loved Morrowind on Xbox and spent 500 hours in it, but When I try going back and playing it today, it’s hard to get into. Oblivion and now Skyrim have us spoiled. With Mods, Morrowind is immersive again.

I agree games can be fun with simple graphics but certain genre’s really benefit from more polygons, high res textures, that anti-alising and filtering you mentioned, larger worlds, more characters and objects on the screen, larger and better animations, like RPG’s and shooters.
    I cannot wait for a Fallout or Elder scrolls game with Direct-x 11 features on a new console. Oblivion is still fun to me, but Skyrim makes Oblivion look quaint, and the next gen games will make Skyrim look old some day… Skyrim will still be fun, but that next game will be highly more immersive.

17. back_up

kinect voice features
    xbox shit xbox will make room dirty