YouTube, Blinkbox, others arrive on Xbox 360

Wednesday, 14th December 2011 11:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Microsoft’s launched YouTube, Blinkbox, MSN and Muzu.TV onto Xbox 360. The YouTube app will enable users to search for videos on the service, while Blinkbox users will get access to 10,000 movies with added voice and body Kinect controls. Muzu.TV will provide music videos, while the MSN app will push its entertainment content.

The new Xbox dashboard launched last week. Thanks, MCV.

1. Chufty

And so Xbox 360 becomes the last internet-connected device on the planet to have YouTube access.

2. Ge0force

@1: and the only device on the planet where you need a payed subscription to access it.

3. TheBlackHole

Blinkbox is great. It’s the only streaming service that delivers good quality stream via my shoddy 1.5mb connection.

4. Valkryst12

and it begins…!

5. Ireland Michael

@1 Trying to view YouTube videos at any sort of decent quality on the PS3 is an exercise in torture. It’s slow, buggy unresponsive and unintuitive.

The Wii is even worse. 90% of the videos I’ve ever tried loading on that machine crash the browser because they use up too much memory.

The Xbox app streams them at a quality mediated by the quality of your own internet connection. If your connection can handle a 720 or 1080 stream with ease, that’s exactly what you’ll get. It’s interface matches the design of dashboard, and it is tidy and responsive.

If there’s one problem I have with the YouTube app, it’s the fact that subscriptions are hidden really deep in the interface, and you can’t just get a simple list of your subscription’s most recent videos. Seems like a really obvious oversight. Other than that, it’s implementation is great.

6. Joe Musashi

YouTube is fine on PS3. (Not tried on 360 or Wii) Pretty grim on PS3 standard browser but the PS3 specific YouTube interface makes a world of difference. Never had a problem myself.

JM

7. Ireland Michael

@6 Wait, there’s a PS3 specific interface?

What video resolutions does it support?

8. moargamezpleeze

@7 Yeah #6 is talking about ps3youtube.com,you can download the videos straight to the XMB,if the video is available in 720 or 1080 you can download those too. There is also sections for certain sites like IGN,Gametrailers etc. Gametrailers allows you to stream the video instead of download.

9. NiceFellow

@7 yup. HD and SD so far as I can tell. Works like a treat for me.

TBH I’m negative on all this stuff on 360 simply because they’re inserting themselves between you and free (or paid) services adding their own fee.

I pay Live for online. As far as I’m concerned any of my gaming brethren who don’t game online and are Silver shouldn’t be denied access to stuff MS has no overhead for – i.e. Youtube, Facebook, etc. on 360 should be available to all.

On the other hand I also have to blame my 360 brethren for encouraging MS in this by simply accepting it as a given.