“Truth Behind RISING” vidoc describes troubled project

Wednesday, 14th December 2011 01:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Konami has released the English-captioned Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance video in which franchise creator Hideo Kojima explains the game’s abrupt shift in direction.

The 25 minute video, embedded below, confirms reports of the game’s troubled development and near-cancellation prior to its reinvention.

Although some fans have reacted badly to the idea of a Metal Gear game created by someone other than Hideo Kojima, the developer noted that his investment in the project was limited prior to the hand over.

“Since Rising was an alternative title, I was just operating as a producer and leaving everything else to the new team,” Kojima commented. “I wasn’t involved in the story much, and I tried not to get too involved in the project itself.

“By April or May 2010 I finished Peace Walker, and after E3, I peeked in to see how the project was going. When I did, I found that the story, the characters and the support characters were all fine. However, the game design itself wasn’t clear or well decided.”

Kojima noted that the original “cut everything” premise was difficult to make work in a game setting, especially when trying to include traditional elements of the core Metal Gear Solid series like stealth and infiltration.

“The team was lost in an endless cycle of creating and recreating these elements over and over to achieve the right balance,” he added, soberly.

Kojima started looking for another studio to take over the project, including some international developers, but wanted a Japanese team to tackle the ninja swordplay. After considering the action elements he wanted in the game, he made the only possible choice.

“The only studio I felt could do this was Platinum Games. If anybody could do it, it would be them,” he said.

At the Spike VGAs this weekend, a new trailer was released for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, revealing a change of studio from Kojima Productions to Bayonetta and Vanquish developer Platinum Games, as well as anew emphasis on action and a change of plot. Reaction has been mixed.

See the full video below. KojiPro producer Yuji Korekado, lead writer Etsu Tamari, 3DCG supervisor Hideki Sasaki and other key staffers also make an appearance.

1. Ireland Michael

It’s great to see that Kojima can see the immeasurable talent in the Platinum Game’s studio, even if a whiny, self absorbed Metal Gear Solid fanbase can’t.

2. Johnny Cullen

Good video. More honesty in it than what I was expecting and some of the gameplay was actually quite good. Minimal interest has returned.

3. mathare92

@1 I don’t think any one’s doubting PG’s talent. Bayonetta and Vanquish speak for themselves. But Bayonetta and Vanquish are not Metal Gear; it’s like taking Devil May Cry and making a stealth based title with no combos or weird gothic art. Sure, another PG title is always good news but as someone who really likes MGS, I just don’t favour the idea of having that game be forcefully set in the Metal Gear ‘universe’.

Anyway, still eager to see more of it of course. There’s a few more tid bits gleaned from today’s (or maybe yesterday’s) Q&A session by OXM -http://www.oxmonline.com/kojima-explains-how-platinum-games-saved-metal-gear-rising

4. mathare92

I think we need more of these kind of vidocs whenever a big project gets considerably delayed or goes into limbo. (I’m looking at you, Polyphony)

5. herom2010

pls guys i want to know if the game are come to pc or not can any one tell me

6. lexph3re

It’s good to see the point of View Kojima is coming from on this and to see that they are overseeing this to the fullest. Also, Good to see even KOJIMA himself acknowledged what we saw in the trailer with Ray WAS NOT METAL GEAR. But since they are making a collaboration they are starting over from scratch in the delivery.

I honestly have a little more faith into platinum knowing that Kojimapro is helping to guide their since of flash into a Cinematic flair to give it more polish. And still not restricting them from maintaining their since of individuality. I think Both of these studios can learn a lot from eachother and im glad Kojima CARED enough to explain the situation to the fans and didn’t just leave it to twitter and crappy dev diaries.

Thanks Konami/Platinum for releasing this to the public

7. Ireland Michael

“You can really tell from your comment that you didn’t watch the mini-documentary @1.”

I watched the whole thing through from beginning to end the moment it was posted, thank you very much.

I just didn’t need a trailer to have faith in the collaborative talents of two extremely proficient studios, chock full of some of the industry’s best people.

8. naveto

There are some intensely depressed Japanese people in that video.

9. lexph3re

@8 In Japanese Culture they really take failure to heart. Like when Sony bowed their heads in disgrace over the network falling. They state in the video how they felt and still feel terrible about not being able to grab a solid product. And, Seeing how that studio was left in good faith from Kojima to deliver it’s not easy telling the world you failed.

@7 I can’t say the same, I don’t have nearly as much faith in Platinum as I do in Kojima. But, that’s only because they are still fresh in the industry. STILL, after seeing the results of this Mini-Doc it seems that my worries are being put at ease. Won’t know until the finished product though

10. YoungZer0

I still think it was a mistake to let Platinum Games design the game. I think a Team like the Assassins Creed Team at Ubisoft would’ve been able to deliver what the original developer wanted it to be.

“I am confident to say we are one of the best studios in the world.”

That takes some balls, really, considering how unsuccessful they’ve been so far. But we’ll see, i think Metal Gear Rising is the game that could make or break them. If they are able to deliver something else than just a stupid game, i’m game.

Having that said, the main writer looks extremely depressed.

11. IL DUCE

Whether or not Platium Games is a so called “good” studio doesn’t mean anything, even if their games are critical darlings not one of them has sold well…Bayonetta, Mad World, Vanquish – not one of them has done well at retail and I doubt that will change with Anarchy Reigns or Metal Gear Rising…eventually it will lead to their demise no matter how “talented” they are

The only thing they stand to gain from developing this Vanquish with a sword clone is some boosted sales due to recognition of the Metal Gear brand…

And I’m not even a big fan of the MGS series or eastern developed games in general, but this game doesn’t look very good any way you slice it…