MGS5: The Boss, Cobras one of “several ideas,” says Kojima

Wednesday, 14th December 2011 02:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Hideo Kojima has revealed one idea surrounding Metal Gear Solid 5 was a game based on The Boss and the Cobras from the landing of Normandy. [Spoilers for MGS3 and part of its ending are below the break]

Kojima, speaking in the vidoc just released for Metal Gear Rising, said he pitched his ideas to his development team during summer 2008, after Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots had shipped.

“Metal Gear Solid 4 wrapped up in 2008, and the dev team took post-project time off right after that. But, of course, we were in a situation where we had to start planning for MGS5. So I started coming up with several ideas,” he said.

“I had several ideas for a game featuring The Boss and the Cobra Unit during the invasion of Normandy. I then handed these plans over to the team so they could take over and make the game. I presented my ideas to the team during the summer of 2008. However, simply dropping MGS5 on the younger staff members was a bit heavy and there was resistance to doing it without my involvement.”

The Boss helped established the Cobra unit – The Pain, The Fear, The End, The Fury and The Sorrow – in the midst of World War II. It’s mentioned towards the end of Metal Gear Solid 3 the unit was sent into Normandy on a top secret mission.

Whilst pitching his ideas for MGS5 towards his team, Kojima was working on a brand new project – he didn’t say what that was, but we’re guessing it’s Project Ogre – but said there was “resistance” from the dev team taking charge due to a lack of direct involvement from him. It was from there Rising was proposed as a spin-off that put a lot less pressure for the development team, as opposed to MGS5.

“At the time, I was working on a new project. It was during the planning phase of that project and I wanted the staff to take charge of the new title,” he said.

“There was resistance to that idea, though. It was then that someone proposed the idea for what would become Rising. It was a game based on Raiden’s story, since MGS5 had too much weight to it. It would be a side story that the team felt more comfortable working with.”

More can be found watching the video at the link above.

1. Johnny Cullen

You have no idea how much I’ve been wanting to see a proper MGS in the hands of The Boss and the Cobras while going through that mission in Normandy since MGS3. I’m hoping this comes to fruition some day, I really do.

2. Ireland Michael

3. lexph3re

@2 you really just don’t get what the fanbase is really feeling because you only love the fact you see platinum. Besides MGS5 would be completely left to Kojima not a colab like MGR not a side project for a smaller group like MGSR.

4. osric90

@2 Dude, you’re lost. You need to get a map.

5. tmac2011

im an MGS fan and wouldn’t mind playing as the boss, and telling more about her story, she was snakes mentor, so why not get a more in deoth look into her younger years? i only think the next game should be solid snake between MGS3 and MGS4. or i don’t really know, if kojima san wants “The boss” make an appearance it’s find with me. Just know i won’t buy that hack n slash crap game, that’s not metal gear solid to real metal gear fans!!

6. Ireland Michael

“that’s not metal gear solid to real metal gear fans!!”

And that’s why its called Metal Gear Rising and not Metal Gear Solid.

Just like Metal Gear AC!D wasn’t called Metal Gear Solid AC!D.

7. AJacks92

@5 You’re not a fan bro. You just saying it cause everyone is. How we know? You’re oblivious to the timeline of the storyline. It’s MGS3, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4, and then Rising (excluding MG). Get outta here bandwagon trash.

8. Clupula

As someone who loves Platinum and is willing to give MGR a chance, I still think it’s silly that someone would think the Metal Gear fanbase would ever object to playing as The Boss. Anyone who has followed the games would love to play as her. I can just imagine the CQC that she’d be capable of.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 “While I don’t object to Rising, I do have to agree, Michael, that it does sound like you’ve never played the series.”

I’ve played every main Metal Gear Solid title through multiple, and I’ve played every single spin-off game to completely at least one. Metal Gear Solid 3, is fact, my favourite in the series.

My comment wasn’t on the quality of the character. My comment was regarding how picky and easily upset the general fanbase can be, considering how so many of them act so butthurt by the existence of Metal Gear Rising.

I for one think the Boss would be a great character to explore in her own game.. There’s a tonne of history there to be filled in. I especially want to know more about her relationship with the Sorrow, who I imagine would be a crucial character in her story if she had her own game. Female leads are almost universally disliked in this medium though, for whatever reason.

10. KL

^ this
    the fanbase is picky and even if small a respectful amount of it will be disappointed playing not only as another character besides Snake(naked or solid) but also as a woman.
    I like the idea though,Boss has a lot of depth in her personality

11. StolenGlory

“If the vast majority of the MGS fanbase can’t accept Raiden slashing things up, I can’t imagine how most of them would react to the thought of playing as a woman.”

Totally and utterly agree. I mean, it seems a great deal of them *really* have a colossal fucking issue grappling with the term ‘spin-off’ and all of which that implies.

12. sb319

Disappointing.

MGS4 went to great (and at times ludicrous) measures to tie up any loose threads of the Solid Snake story. As much as I enjoyed it, I couldn’t shake the feeling that for such an expensive title to make, it was crafted for a very small and dwindling audience of hardcore obsessive fans.

Really, I think the most interesting and healthy approach to future Metal Gear games would be a new story, new characters, new ideas. Hell, Kojima doesn’t even have to be involved directly. MGS4 was clearly buckling under the weight of its own fiction at times, a clean start is the only way to go. Or maybe just don’t make any more, make new stuff instead.

13. YoungZer0

I don’t really care. I never liked the character of The Boss. Never really liked any female character in any Metal Gear Solid Game. MAYBE with the exception of Meryl in MGS1.

As long as they let Solid Snake alone, i’m fine. I don’t want to see any MGS Game with Solid Snake in the main role again.

14. Erthazus

@Ireland, seriously, GET THE FUCK OUT.

Go worship that crap studio somewhere else, because every game except Bayonetta they make and made is Japanese crap at it’s best core design. Period.

without Legendary developer they are nothing. They are like a Polish developer City Interactive that makes shooters.

15. Ireland Michael

@14 Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Go away please. The grown ups are having a discussion here.

16. ItsFade

I’d much rather they didn’t make another prequel. I’m interested in finding what happens in the Metal Gear universe after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4.

It would also allow them an almost fresh start as they wouldn’t be as tied down by all the history of the previous games after they tied up a lot of the storylines in MGS4.

17. triggerhappy

I would definitely be up for a Metal Gear game that goes back even further than what 3 did. A WWII espionage & stealth game in the Metal Gear universe??? Yes fecking please :D

I think The Boss would be an exellent character to play. The first lady of CQC… Potential for amazingness I think. Ive also got no problem playing a female lead, I loved the Catwoman sections in AC, as long as the character is interesting and feels good to play im good.

18. YoungZer0

@17: Yeah, because the world NEEDS another game set in WWII.

19. triggerhappy

@18 ahh c’mon, its totally not the same thing :P

20. YoungZer0

@19: I know. It’s just, imo if i’d have to pick the most unlikable character from the Metal Gear Universe, i’d probably pick The Boss, next to Rose.

21. Johnny Cullen

Never. EVER. compare The Boss to Rose. You’re entitled to an opinion, but that’s like comparing chocolate to marmite. It doesn’t make sense.

22. YoungZer0

@21: I didn’t compare them.

They are just the most unlikeable characters of Metal Gear to me.

23. Clupula

Unlikable to you. The Boss is probably one of my favorite characters in the series. I would kill to play a game as The Boss with the Cobras.

Rose, on the other hand, is the reason for the only times I’ve ever skipped videogame dialogue in my life.

@15 – That made me laugh out loud, because what you said was EXACTLY what I thought when I saw his silly little comment.

24. Erthazus

I want game in WWII. In 2006 it was ok to move forward after a lot of WWII games, but now this gen we have a lot of Modern military and zombie stuff, so to have WWII is a good idea once in a while.

Playing as The Boss in my opinion can be great, but i just can’t see her as a playable character. Dunno why. She is one of the best characters in Metal Gear universe.

@Ireland, more like fanboys of some certain studio. Grown Ups are not fanboys first of all.

25. YoungZer0

@23: “Unlikable to you.”

Yeah, that’s EXACTLY what i meant when i said “They are just the most unlikeable characters of Metal Gear to me.

It’s like you can read.

26. KainZero

I’ll say I’m a fan of this series, played all of them except MGS4 as I refuse to own a PS3 until their cheaper (went to youtube and watched all the cutscenes however so I was up to date storywise) regardless of that, The Boss to me is one of THE most important characters in the entire MG universe, she made Big Boss/Naked Snake who he was and defined him even in her death, I would hope they stick to this idea, as for a game set after MGS4, with the way it ends I can’t really see it being possible.

As for Rising, I don’t care who made it as long as it’s good clean fun, as long as it controls well and plays well I could care less how well it sells, critics don’t always get it right, from seeing the Ninja in MGS1 back in the PS1 days I always wanted to play as him (VR missions aside) come on…you get to play as a overpowered ninja, sounds fun to me :)

Lastly I don’t think Konami could really go past the timeline of MGS4, unless they really find something even more epic (no time spanning robots or aliens please) in my opinion they should go with the Boss idea and perhaps revamp (no pun intended) both Metal gear and Metal Gear 2 to full 3D with voice acting, the old games have their charm of course, but many haven’t played them, many won’t and it would help make Solid Snakes past trauma and experiances more connected, long post but hey I had alot on my mind :)

27. osric90

@2 Take out the Ireland from your name, you’r putting your country’s schools to shame.

28. bunni

Sigh.. So what MGR is a total spin off, nothing to do with the series right? So why is everybody mad? Its not the fact that its a disgrace to the series or that it will ruin the MGS name its because it took away from what we all were excited about. I can care less about them making some spin off that I will never play and can ignore.. I CAN care that this most likely means that the exciting story of Raiden’s transformation from a kid to a cyborg ninja, the exploration of my second favorite character and all he adds to the MGS series will most likely never see the light of day. I can care that my biggest fear is that Hideo Kojima, the man responsible for us all here right now, having whatever feelings we have, is not wanting to make those amazing stories that gripped us in the unique way that ONLY he could produce. I myself am not mad that the MGS series might implement a female character, or be used to boost sales on a completely different game. I am just sad that I’ve only been in the Metal Gear Solid universe for about three years (played every game and love the story more then any other game/movie/book/story) and its more than likely over.. There was just so much I’d hoped to see and without Kojima, can any future MGS game truly stand up to the genius that he created..
    Deep and mushy but meh hopefully my voice gets heard.. People fight over the little things when its the art that really matters.

29. GRIFFINOFNUKES

I would like to play as more than just The Boss. I wouldn’t mind running around sniping people out as The End or burning everything as The Fury…