Bossa Studios head says Vita will die “horrible premature death”

Wednesday, 14th December 2011 19:53 GMT By Andrew Groen

You can file this story firmly in the “take it for what it’s worth” category. The head of UK game development house Bossa Studios, Henrique Olifiers, said he thinks PlayStation Vita has a rough road ahead.

“”We’ll keep on the lookout to see what the next gen will bring, but if they want more focus on tech specs rather than usability and accessibility, I don’t think it will be for us,” Olifiers said. “I hate the fact you cannot play a game on the PS3 against the same game on the 360 or PC. Walled gardens in a world where people are freely connected all the time is just a dumb idea that limits what is achievable.”

“Valve is bang on: proprietary stuff is madness, we should be moving to more open platforms, to interoperability, bringing everyone together. If this is not the motto for the big console manufacturers, not only will we not be there — they’re likely to die a horrible premature death, the kind of which I think the Vita will suffer from.”

It’s an interesting story, but we’re taking this with a grain of salt. People who say things along the lines of “if you don’t follow my advice, your company will die a horrible death” don’t tend to be high up on our list of trustworthy sources. That said, there’s no question Vita faces a tough road ahead.

Via Destructoid.

1. Dimaco

They will not be there. Fair enough, guess I can cope with that.

2. Aimless

Aren’t they a social network gaming company? Seems like a (successful) headline grab to me seeing as consoles are more or less irrelevant to their business in the first place.

3. SuperGuyverUSA

Yeah, Vita has a tough road ahead of it, there was never any doubt in that. But saying that it will “die a horrible premature death” is something that many gamers can argue. The only reason why the Vita would die is because of the memory cards, before that point most gamers were really excited about it (I still am). I, for one, am going to buy a Vita and use it for everything it’s worth. I’m not about to buy games on my phone and play them more than my consoles, that’s not gaming in my opinion.

4. Stardog

It will live or die on the games.

Smartphones/tablets do not have a single game worth owning — a game that you will buy a smartphone just to get.

5. IL DUCE

I think Vita will do fine…probably similar to the success of the PSP…it just won’t sell as much as Sony wants it to but it will drag along for a few years after its initial success at launch…

B/c of course most people who frequent this site will say “oh hell yeah ill buy it, like being able to take a console with me while I travel etc.” But the more casual gamers or less intuned to the industry gamers probably don’t even know about Vita nor do they or will they care…

I have enough trouble finding enough time to play my console, so I will have to pass on the Vita…

6. Paranoimia

It is amusing, Mr. Olifiers, that you mention that you “cannot play a game on the PS3 against the same game on the 360 or PC” and then mention Valve. Here is an article which may interest you:

That said, I can happily respect your decision. I know that personally, having never heard of you or your company, I won’t miss either when enjoying my Vita. In fact, come February, I doubt I’ll even remember you exist.

7. KAP

PSP did very well considering all of the critics constant battering.

8. Razor

“PSP did very well considering all of the critics constant battering.”

What? The PSP was tipped to destroy the DS.

I think Vita will end up much like the PSP; just bumble along, quietly racking up sales while never being a breakthrough product.

9. Dannybuoy

What a silly sausage

10. The Evil Pope

He’s got a point, there are so many platforms now to play games on (PC, Facebook, Consoles, Phones, Tablets), why would anyone blow £200+ on a handheld that only plays games?

I wouldn’t touch the PSV with a barge pole…

11. TheWulf

It’s a completely fair point. What’s surprising is that it’s actually an intelligent point which shows a lot of forethought and insight, which is surprising. I mean, with people like Cliffy B in the industry, you can forget that there are some people out there who’re actually the wheat amongst all that chaff.

Gabe Newell is one of them, and every time that man opens his mouth it’s a breath of fresh air. He understands the hardware and software sides of the gaming industry like very few people, and he’s well off because of it.

Now, keep in mind that the clever man we’re talking about here is speaking of the Vita. PS3 fans don’t be offended, because this is a completely different market. What you have to keep in mind is that the Vita will have to compete with iOS and Android devices.

Why is that important?

iPad: It has a good set of tools available for it for creating things for the iOS platform.

Android: It’s an open platform and anyone, absolutely anyone, can sell something on it.

Now consider that Android and iOS are everywhere.

More people are going to have an Android or an iOS device than those who’re going to have a Vita. In fact, I suspect that the Vita and its proprietary, hard to develop for, and restricted market will lead to it only having a 1% market share. This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone.

The tablets and phones are showing us the way forward in a lot of regards. The best way forward for the next consoles even are open platforms. If you can play cross-platform with people on another platform, then that encourages you to get games for more than one platform. Whereas if you’re stuck with one, you’ll likely just only get games for that. Hence the PlaySlaves versus XBots and what have you.

The smart money is on open platforms for the future, the proof of concept is out there, in the form of tablets and phones.

And like I said, creating a new handheld device based on old console style approaches rather than basing it on how the iOS/Android work is folly. But that’s what Sony have done. And really, it’s going to be harder and harder for proprietary platforms to compete in the face of iOS and Android.

Sony’s better approach was with the Xperia Play.

12. TheWulf

@10 – Precisely. The notion of the ‘console’ is going the way of the Dodo in favour of newer and better technologies. We’re just seeing the portable console go out the window first, the telly bound version is going to lose out eventually to the likes of OnLive and other challengers, it’s only a matter of time.

Microsoft and Sony need to either evolve, or they’ll die out like the dinosaurs they are.

13. absolutezero

People like this make me sad about the state of the UK Industry. Its pretty fucking shameful at the moment. Theres Rockstar North and the Batman guys aaaaand thats about it.

Microsoft has destroyed Rare and Lionhead and Codemasters are happily destroying themselves.

We were I think one of the very first countries to start doing Universtiry courses in gaming (as useless as they are in actually getting a job) and this is what we churn out, endless shitty mobile app farters all clamouring to make the next Angry fucking Birds.

14. Fin

“Lionhead and Codemasters are happily destroying themselves.”

Fuck you smokin’ bro? Codemasters (Birmingham, Leamington Spa) are still awesome (though Bodycount was terrible); Lionhead had a dip with Fable III, but I’ve no doubt they’ll be back on top.

There’s one or two other studios you forgot to mention too: Media Molecule, Sumo Digital, Ninja Theory, Creative Assembly, Hello Games, Ruffian (maybe), Sony Studio Liverpool, Rockstar Leeds, Frontier, Criterion, Eutechnyx, Slightly Mad, Sports Interactive, Headstrong, Freestyle. That’s excluding smaller/average studios like Climax, Supermassive, Evolution, Relentless, EA Bright Light, Rebellion, Sony London Studio.
    Not to mention a lot of Kinect, Move and Vita R&D was done in Cambridge and London.

So yeah, the UK games industry is still pretty ok.

15. Rain

all of what you guys say is worth respect but I think that the unique controls and great quality of the games which is well beyond that of smartphones will keep vita ahead of the competition.
    Look at LBP and uncharted; show me one smartphone game that is as great.and lets not mention reaistance and modnation racers.also AC and killzone and COD were promised to come for Vita

16. TheBlackHole

I happen to know Henrique, and despite the Daily Mail headline, he’s actually an incredibly intelligent guy who knows what he’s talking about when it comes to games.

Yes, he’s making a lot of assumptions about the Vita and the way it will work in terms of content and value, but his point is fundamentally sound.

It’s a sensationalist piece, but read the whole thing before spouting vitriol.

17. Dimaco

@15 +1
    There is absolutely no way that (we’re talking about now, not some 15 years prediction, @12) THOSE controls on smartphones and tablets will ever, ever reach the complexity you need to play REAL games like you do on consoles and will do on Vita.
    Angry birds and s**t like that is what they’re meant for…

18. Christopher Jack

Sony rarely knows when to let things go & move on, even if it is a failure, I doubt that they’d stop supporting it too quickly. It certainly has all us gaming enthusiasts charmed, although things like no on-board memory, expensive-proprietary expandable memory & a few other disappointments have some of us worried.

@17, Maybe you’re right, but maybe, just maybe, games will evolve to use touchscreens & front cameras to an extent that surpasses the ease, immersion & accuracy of the typical controller.

19. koopa

Who is this guy, never heard of him…But anyways, I’m buying the Vita and I bet the US soldiers would like it too. Being overseas sucks and the vita can help the soldiers with no Xbox or ps3(portible HD). Thanks Sony. Dual joystick and OLED = win + games = epic win.

20. mojo

Bossa Studios?
    never heard of that.
    is that something like zynga?
    if so, who cares about that?
    noone is going to buy vita to play cockville games..

21. ManuOtaku

I dont agree, mainly because i think a handled device needs to be affordable in price and good amount of games available for it, if they manage to do that (including the memory cards prices), i think they will do fine, look at the 3DS, right now is selling great becuase of the new price point and that now it has good games, therefore one can argue that other devices like IOS, android, apple, are not making that big impact not at least the way some people are expecting, i think the Vita will do fine like the 3DS if they keep a good price (memory cards and all periferals included) and good games.