NetherRealm on break with Mortal Kombat, working on something else

Tuesday, 13th December 2011 09:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

NetherRealm head Ed Boon has said the studio is currently taking a breaking from Mortal Kombat, confirming the studio’s now working on something else.

Speaking at the VGAs – we think this may have been during the online-streamed pre-show when Mortal Kombat won best fighting game – Boon said it would in all likelihood return to the series in future.

He reiterated that DLC for this year’s MK release had now finished.

Mortal Kombat released in May, with series vets Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain and Freddy Krueger of Nightmare on Elm Street all forming part of the DLC plan.

Thanks, GameSpot.

1. Ireland Michael

I think it’s a good thing that they’re not rushing straight into a sequel, and trying something else.

It’s always a good thing to give a franchise some room to breath, in my opinion. Allows them to come back with bigger steps and more creative ideas in the long room.

2. The_Red

Dammit, I want more MK (Specially after uber awesome MK9)… But yeah, not rushing to sequels is always good news. Plus after more than 15 years, it would be really nice to see something from these people that’s not MK.
    I hear Netherrealm’s Batman Arkham Lockdown is pretty good. Has anyone tried that?

3. Paladin_Rage

Also they don’t whore themselves as Capcom would.
    Anyway, I think they’re working on Mortal Kombat MMORPG.

4. Maximum Payne

@3 Well I can tell they are def not working on MMO because that would mean ps3/PC only platforms which I doubt they will go that path.

5. HauntaVirus

Nice, very smart move.

6. Paladin_Rage

@4 Still this would be awesome. Game first of a kind – MMOAK (Massive Multiplayer Only Ass Kicker).