Modern Warfare 3 hits $1 billion in 16 days – info

Monday, 12th December 2011 13:20 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Activision’s announced that Modern Warfare 3 has hit the $1 billion mark, 16 days after it released.

The milestone was reached a day earlier than Avatar, which reached $1 billion in 17 days.

“Engagement of our Call of Duty audience continues to rise around the world” said Acti CEO Bobby Kotick. “Call of Duty as an entertainment franchise has made an indelible mark on popular culture and its broad and continued success is further validation that audiences increasingly value interactive experiences over passive experiences.”

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg added: “Call of Duty has become that rare entertainment franchise that transcends its own genre. Core gamers love it, as our stellar reviews show. But every year, new people are drawn into Call of Duty.

“And while the franchise continues to set records, our fans still seem to want more, demonstrated by our record setting start on Call of Duty Elite. We are committed to helping everyone connect, compete and improve their game, Call of Duty style.”

Since releasing the Infinity Ward/Slegehammer collaboration at the beginning of November, Activision announced US-UK sales of 6.5 million in its opening 24 hours, making $400 million in the process.

In the five days after launch, it raked in $775 million, but has not disclosed any recent sales numbers.

The game won best shooter at the VGAs over the weekend, but was kicked off the top of the UK charts by Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

1. YoungZer0

Boom! Gotta say i find the multiplayer less interesting than MW2, not really a huge fan of the maps.

2. Hunam

Giant bonuses for all!

3. DSB

@1 Uh oh. That’s not what I want to hear. If I wanted something less interesting than MW2 I’d play Black Ops.

I reckon I’ll grab it next month.

@2 Only if you kiss the ring, bitch.

4. StolenGlory

Holy crapola – that’s a lot of green.

5. viralshag

@1, Agreed. MW3 hasn’t grabbed my attention like the previous games.

This is totally my opinion but I did find it quite hard to get into it after playing a few weeks of BF3 on the PC. I didn’t think it looked great in MP but it still retained the fun run and gun aspects.

Of course, it could just be because I had other games that took my attention such as Skyrim and the TOR beta.

I will probably get back into it when a few more mates have the time to get online.

6. YoungZer0

@5: And the last LotR Game. That also seems to grab your attention. :P

7. OrbitMonkey

Well it’s all downhill from here ;-)

Regarding the maps…. Am I the only one who finds them kinda small?

8. YoungZer0

@7: Nope. They are definitely small.

9. viralshag

@6, Haha, you’re not wrong there! Honestly, that game played in 3 man co-op is actually a lot of fun. I was lumped with the bloody female elven mage, though, and she is not as fun to play with as you might think (waheey!).

10. YoungZer0

@9: Would’ve been my last choice. :D Glad to hear it’s fun. But i’m still in Skyrim, no place for any other RPG right now.

11. Erthazus

MW3 maps are a disaster. No wonder there were three teams making this game.
    One made maps, one singleplayer and multplayer and other one watched the progress because Half of the infinity staff made new studio.

12. Fin

Oh yeah? How many hours have you put into MW3 so far bro?

13. John117

Proud member of “Didnt buy CoD:MW3″, and man it makes me feel so clean :3

14. G1GAHURTZ

@12: It must be at least a 3 figure number by now…

____

As for me, I’m sure no-one will be surprised to hear that I’m having loads of fun with the MP. The small(ish) maps suit my run and gun style.

After struggling to go positive for ages, due to a bad internet connection, I’ve finally got a bit of a better one now.

Went 30-0-4 on a FFA game yesterday for the first time since I left the UK, so I’m probably going to start putting more serious hours into the game now.

Nowhere near as much as someone else here probably will though…

15. Unlimax

Great .. now we will have a FREE map packs :D .. or not !!

16. HeavyD-Love

Translation:

Activision: “Profits, profits, we’re all about the profits!!!!” Maniacal laugh…

17. Strawb

Made me lol. Last time I checked, there were a load of scripted events in the single player campaigns of these games.
    Not to mention the extreme railshooter-aspect. Sure, it’s still interactive, but you can only do what they want you to do, at the pace they set.

18. Erthazus

@12, Bro, “5.8 hrs / 14.1 hrs” on Steam and i won’t go back to that crap anymore. Ever. Period.

19. YoungZer0

@18: Weren’t you talking about 40hrs+ once?

20. DSB

@17 I get your point, but that’s true for any game. The difference is in how skillfully they hide it from you. I always felt more immersed in the gameplay than the actual events when it came to CoD.

That being said, he’s obviously talking about games as opposed to movies or books, and it’s an interesting point when you think about it. Once games like Skyrim start grossing more than your average fantasy movie, or Call of Duty starts grossing more than your average Michael Bay movie, which is all but reality, then games are a part of pop culture as much as anything else.

There are really only a few problems with that. One is the average persons resistance to accepting something new in a realm full of old, the other is the difference in quality between neglected game narratives and those in all other media, which serve to make games a B-medium, and I guess the third and least important is that gamers want to feel special, so they don’t want to let anyone else in.

Neither they nor the cultural neoluddites have a choice though, it looks to be happening.

In the early 20th century I’m pretty sure you had people who identified with movies as a dedicated minority, and people who vehemently resisted their influence. It’s easier to stop the tide from rolling in than it is to stop the future, however :P

@19 It doesn’t really matter. I’m sure Kotick and Infinity Ward appreciate his patronage all the same. Less bandwidth consumption, more profit.

21. Strawb

@20: In regards to how well-executed it is in CoD, I started noticing the rail-line and the scripts in Modern Warfare. In Modern Warfare 2, it was more than annoying, and that’s pretty much the reason I didn’t bother with MW3.

As for “games being part of pop culture”…I think they have become a bigger and bigger part over the past decade. It’s not something that suddenly happened recently.
    Yes, a game catching up to the best-selling movie of all time is impressive, but I don’t view that as the “bar” for being part of popular culture.
    Game enthusiasts that actually still want to feel special and non-mainstream need to get used to the thought of their passtime actually being mainstream. The only thing I see holding it back at the moment, is the shelling games still take every once in a while. Once a new “medium”, if one could call it that, comes out, if that will even happen, games will take their place next to books, films and rock music as the previous scapegoats for “I don’t know what’s wrong with my child.”

22. DSB

@21 I don’t disagree with any of that, but personally I’m leaning towards the movie analogy. People have only really started noticing games within the latest wave of mass media (circa 1990 onwards) and it’s going to take a good 10-20 years yet before people learn to stop worrying, and love the game.

Ultimately I think it’s purely a question of waiting until the people who grew up with videogames become the “authority”. The only reason why whackjob criticism is being taken seriously these days, is because you have an overwhelming number of people who didn’t. 20 years from now it’s going to be an entirely different ballgame.

23. Fin

Nice.
    Still double what I’ve put in.

I like the way you went and bought it too. Activision loves your money!!

24. Strawb

First of all, nice job on that reference. ;)

It’s true that most people haven’t noticed games as much yet, or rather don’t acknowledge them, but I would have to say 20 years is a pessimistic estimate. I’m more hopeful, myself.

Quite right, a generation change is needed. However, there are people from the late 70s, early 80s, that actually have grown up with video games. Admittedly, not in as huge a fashion as some of the rest of us, but it’s still been part of their lives.

I think the video game industry has to have matured as well before we really can say that games are mainstream. That does bring us back to the generation currently growing up with games being a big deal, since many of them will be responsible for furthering the “cause”.

25. JeRicHoOL

#11

The maps aren’t a disaster. But yea, I’d probably get pissed off too if I’d get my ass handed on silver plate or if I’d be too unintelligent to learn map (routes, chokepoints, famous camper spots, etc.). That’s not something you learn by playing the game as less as you did. You keep buying CoD’s when you know you’ll get disappointed. If you’re going with the CoD hate train already then please do it right. I see a lot of bullshit comments from you in like every CoD/Activision topic without proper explanatory statements and examples.

But since you play BF3 you are a “man” or “mature person” anyways and I’m just a high pitched stupid kid because I play CoD. I thought a mature person could actually backup his (if that’s grammatically correct) statements with examples.

——————–

The maps are alright. The game has it’s great maps and shit maps like any other shooter game. I don’t think they are smaller than the MW2 ones there is just less open space this time and lots of branches and possible routes. There is less special maps though like Wasteland or Highrise in MW2. I really hope they bring back these 2 and Terminal, Afghan and maybe Scrapyard. I don’t mind about CoD4 maps because they brought them back in MW2 already and I think now it’s time to bring back some of the MW2 ones.

And before someone moans about IW bringing back old maps to make easy money. I rather have some of the old maps back where I know I’ll love to play on them than new ones which “might” be shit.

My currently favourites on MW3 are Village, Dome, Fallen, Arkaden and Mission.
    Some of the maps I hate are Seatown and Underground.

MP is definately more balanced than MW2 (weapons, perks, etc.). Of course the bar of balance can always be raised but MW3 was a move in the right direction. They are also adressing and patching stuff pretty quickly this time which is good of course.

26. back_up