Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us announced at VGAs

Sunday, 11th December 2011 01:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The bomb has been dropped big time: The Last of Us has been announced at the Spike VGAs for PS3, coming as a brand new IP from Naughty Dog.

The trailer showed a man and a young woman, who looked a lot like Ellen Page, fending off what appeared to be ant-like zombies of some sort before running out to a environment of a metro city and jungle that had a big I Am Legend vibe

No date was given, however.

Last of Us is a “survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague,” headlined by a duo known as Joel and Ellie – the Page-looking gal – as they go through the US.

“We are excited to finally unveil The Last of Us, a project the team has been working hard on for some time,” said Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells.

“Naughty Dog’s mission is to change the way people experience videogames. We are confident The Last of Us will take a leap forward in cinematic gaming and storytelling, providing gamers with an experience unlike anything else in the industry.”

The announcement of the new project, being headed by studio game director Bruce Stanley and Uncharted 2 director Neil Druckmann, shows the team now has two teams operating at once. It’s been focussing on Uncharted since its inception in 2007, so this is a big ultra-shocker.

It’s also the first time the studio has introduced a second new IP in the same hardware generation. Trailer and first screens is below.

1. Erthazus

I was mindblown by this announcement.

Best secret announcement in 3 years. trailer was really gorgeous, although it was a PC rendering… which is damn a shame.

2. Strandli

I didn’t get hyped from the trailer, but the grapics were AMAZING.
    What has gotten me hyped though… Naughty Dog now has TWO teams! BOOOOM

3. Mike W

4. Mike W

I was sure the last of us was going to be developed by Epic

5. humanfish

Sony investing in their talent yet again. Good on’em

6. jdfoster00

Fantastic! I am utterly speechless! Really looking forward to more footage of this! Biggest kept secret in the industry for years now!

7. DeforMAKulizer

According to Naughty Dog it is all IN-GAME!

8. Razor

When the camera panned outside… o_O

9. Lesh26

^^^ Yup! Saw E.Wells post that on twitter.

10. Erthazus

@7, according to Naughty dog Uncharted 2-3 cut scenes were also IN-GAME, but reality is that all that was baked because Ps3 don’t have additional FSAA.

11. Sini

on gametrailers. not impressed with yet another zombie outbreak game

12. HauntaVirus

I trust ND but ZOMBIES…really?!

13. mathare92

Uncharted also sounded derivative on paper “Ooh another Tomb Raider game” etc. but look what they achieved with the brilliant characters and dialogue.

After the Uncharted series, I trust ND to make an awesome game whatever the genre.

14. strikkebil

oh man it looked so good- naughty dog is devolping it too! so excited!!!!!

15. Lewis247

This will be so fucking epic… I really want to start getting at people for moaning about “zombies” but really it’s not worth the effort. This will be so amazing! Such a surprise at this being Naughty Dog.

Cannot wait.

16. pianomanjack

@1 – you’re actually wrong :P it says at the beginning ‘captured from a playstation 3,’ and naughty dog founders have since tweeted that trailer was DIRECTLY from ps3.

DIRECTLY!

17. KL

@16 don’t bother…he’s a broken record.

18. Anders

Super-hyped for this, but then again, by this point, I’d be super-hyped for anything with the Naughty Dog logo on it.

19. lexph3re

Hmm can people not tell the difference between a zombie outbreak and a Viral outbreak anymore?

20. Razor

And a big LOL to everyone who thought this would be Sony Santa Monica.

Never made any sense as to why it would be SSM.

21. Gama_888

@10 Fuckoff allready with negative comments for a game that has only just had its first real trailer shown, jeez. Did u really not enjoy the trailer??

I thought it looked fantastic tbh And i trust Nd to make a great zombie game.
    But i was thinking to myself when it was showing the parts outside,Surely this cant be ingame?

22. Erthazus

@16, I can capture from Ps3 a Samaritan Unreal Engine 3.5 demo you know and tweet that it is directly from Ps3.

By using just video recording.

you will believe me? Well, if you are a PS3 fanboy than of course you will believe me.

It’s not directly from PS3. Look at the characters faces, even current gen PC’s with GTX 580 can hardly do that in 60 frames per second because it is hard to animate in real time all that.

No FSAA – impossible to do that without recording in-game video ithout prerender. Ps3 don’t have that. Thats it.

@21, butt hurts much? Maybe you will read my first comment?

23. absolutezero

“I can capture from Ps3 a Samaritan Unreal Engine 3.5 demo you know and tweet that it is directly from Ps3.

By using just video recording.”

Fuck me you really are a retard.

24. pianomanjack

@22, Read the naughty dog tweets from their staff. You can say all you want about technical shit but i trust the naughty dogs – they know they’ve been under scrutiny before for it not ‘technically’ being run on the ps3, but they seem to be making specific effort to show differently this time. It’s in-engine.

25. Erthazus

@piano, ” i trust the naughty dogs”

OK. You also believe in Santa probably.

26. xino

in-game?
    sure it may be but may be in-game engine not real time in game play.

There’s no way they can pull it off unless its for ps4

27. LOLshock94

@25 HAHAHAHAHA that was actually a nice comeback.

28. pianomanjack

@25, oh sorry i’ll be completely pessimistic then – ‘those graphics are completely bollocks it’s clearly running from a pc and the naughty dogs are lying about their own game which i’ve never seen but they’ve been developing for years.’ Much better outlook, clearly.

29. YoungZer0

Puh, that felt really, really good after watching the Metal Gear Rising Trailer.

Wonder what Naughty Dog is up to. Already love the music, characters and the direction. The only thing what i was missing from the Uncharted games was an adult theme. It was always about adventure and fun and shooting, but this? This is my kind of game.

30. varsas

@Johnny Those were exactly my observations!

31. Cozzy

Just to be a bit pedantic; as far as I can tell it’s not a zombie apocalypse it’s a viral infection apocalypse. Pretty much the same thing but it’s not technically another zombie game as so many of you seem annoyed about.

32. jdfoster00

@Erthazus The co-president of ND confirmed it was running ona ps3 when the captures it…. So did Geoff KEIghley and the community manager of ND

33. Erthazus

@Piano, Understand this: Naughty dog is a great developer, they make Great looking games. Uncharted is probably one of the best series of all time.

But this video is a pre-rendered in-game engine trailer. No way in hell it was in real time.
    PS3 is not a magic machine and Naughty dog use pre-rendered recorded video all the time in their games like Uncharted 2-3. Thats a known fact.

34. jdfoster00

@pianomanjack You’re correct it was running on the PS3 when they captured it…. http://twitter.com/#!/evan_wells

“”"”"”"”"”Btw, The Last of Us trailer was entirely captured from a Playstation 3.”"”"”"”"”"”"”"

Evan Wells!

@Erthazis….

35. lexph3re

OMG Cozzy you robbed me! *shrugs shoulders*

36. strikkebil

dont feed the Ertha- i mean troll.

37. Cozzy

@Lex Shit sorry man didn’t see your comment. I hang my head in shame!

38. lexph3re

Its ok Cozzy I was being a dick *hangs head in shame for hurt comrade*

39. varsas

@Cozzy They don’t look like the undead variety but they can still be called zombies that is mindless or mostly mindless creatures as in I am Legend or 28 days later.

40. jdfoster00

Check that out…. VG247 update ….

Naughty Dog has posted more details…
    “Abandoned cities reclaimed by nature. A population decimated by a modern plague. Survivors are killing each other for food, weapons; whatever they can get their hands on.

Joel, a brutal survivor, and Ellie, a brave young teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together if they hope to survive their journey across the US.”

41. jdfoster00

So they where not mindless zombies but I am legendy figures that are ‘hunting’ or fighting for food…. so have an intelligence to them

42. Cozzy

@Lex I think we need to work together in spreading viral infection awareness!

@Varas Yes but zombies are the living dead whereas they’re people affected by a plague. I suppose there is a fine line between zombie and viral infected people of death.

43. WFMMK

Very much looking forward to this.

44. lexph3re

HaHAA I BELIEVE IN THAT CAUSE!!!!!!!

45. mathare92

@40 Quite Enslaved-sounding isn’t? What with the two character leads, the junglefied (is that a word?) environments and the “journeying” across the US.

46. Cozzy

:D

47. dravenkaze

cant wait for this

48. HeavyD-Love

Wow. Now THAT’S how you make a world premiere announcement. Bravo Sony. Bravo Naughty Dog. Fucking AWESEOME trailer, and even superior lead up to the reveal.

49. PriZm

@any of Erthazus’s comments,

Your are a hungry little fellow aren’t you?

PRIZM

50. FeaturePreacher

I wonder what the online multiplayer will be like.

51. tatsujin

This game just raped VGA. Everything’s in real-time. Seriously, Naughty Dog … how the hell do you do these superb games. PS3′s putting a bigger gap between itself and 360/Wii. I so didn’t expect it to be THIS big … <3!

52. speedxl01

The trailer is amazing, I have high hopes now that I know, that Naughty Dog are the developers..

The pictures of the foliage and graphics are unbelievable..

53. Dannybuoy

Amusing that the first page of comments seem to mostly arguing the toss about the graphics. Get over it. Can’t you just enjoy it and just put some faith into ND to deliver on their promises. Looks fantastic. They ca do no wrong in my eyes. Can’t wait.

54. back_up

Awesomeness
    ND and PS3 is unbeatable

55. Gekidami

Well damn, i really wasnt expecting this to be by ND.

56. Clupula

It’s like The Road: The Game.

Excited for this, though, and it’s pretty cool to see the PS3 is capable of graphics like this.

57. brotherhoodofthewolf

please can someone explain who or where it has ever been said, that the footage in that trailer is from the game engine, running in realtime on the PS3?

please read the wording in the trailer start slate properly, and read again the wording that has been used by the devs to describe the footage in the trailer.

uncharted has lots of video-based cutscenes, that use the game engine, but are pre-rendered to allow more detail to be shown than what the console can display in realtime. given this new game is from the same dev, and going by the wording in the trailer start slate, it looks to be the same situation here too.
    waiting for ND to prove me wrong!

58. Edo

I Am Legend.

59. Ireland Michael

Anyone know if Amy Hennig is involved in this? That would pretty much seal the deal for me.

Please ignore Erthazus. This same idiot thought that most of the scenes from a certain Uncharted 3 trailer were renders when they were, in fact, real time in-engine footage.

I had my doubts as well, but as soon as I saw that they were in-engine (by, you know, actually playing it) I fully admitted just how impressed by Naughty Dog I was that it was so hard to tell the difference half the time.

You see, Erthazus simply can’t understand the concept of good art direction, and how it trumps fancy graphics card after-effects every single time. Nothing will ever make up for pure raw talent, and that’s something Naughty Dog has in spades.

60. monkeygourmet

Graphics look lovely as always, although im not exactly sold on the story so far.

I can see the little girl becoming annoying as hell. Constantly in danger and needing to be rescued.

Queue the: Rescuing her from other crazy survivors / looters mission where at the peak of the mission, ant zombies burst in and start fighting with everyone and you have to escape with her…

Im, glad it’s a new IP though, Sony are really kicking MS’s arse on that front at the moment. I really expect to see the unvieling of the new Xbox sooner rather than later at this rate.

61. Grooski

@57 noone is saying its realtime. But Christophe Balestre confirmed in-engine on PS3.

twitter.com/#!/cbalestra/status/145677858323435522

It is prebaked with additional AA, lighting, and filtering but the animation, modelling and shader use would be the same as final game. By graphical standards, it is still one of the most impressive thins on a PS3 this gen.

62. mathare92

@59 I think she’s creative director on the other team i.e. the one that wrapped up Uncharted 3 in October.

I don’t think it’s likely, but if there really are two teams working on two different games at ND, that would pretty awesome. Especially if their both new IP’s (again, hardly likely).

63. Ireland Michael

@60 I think Naughty Dog are smarter than to fall back on a cliché like that.

If the trailer is intended to be any sort of indication, the girl will be saving your hide just as much as you will he’s. She seems like a real fighter.

64. Gekidami

It wouldnt surprise me if you actually played as the girl rather than the guy. The trailer is clearly putting her forward the most and she’s armed in the artwork.

65. monkeygourmet

Hopefully. Although having a little girl participating in violent scenes can be a tough one to get through video game censors. Even if you can justify it by using “Zombies or Nazi’s”.

Seeing her stab that creature in that back does give some hope though. I just can’t see her standing on said creatures balls while blowing it’s brains out though! ;)

Im guessing they will use the same kind of NPC stlye as Uncharted. i.e. constant converation and back and forth between action scenes. Not a bad thing really.

Although i stand by my idea that she will be kidnapped by insane looters or a military force! You can’t do a survival game featuring 2 characters who care about each other and not split them up at some point…

You made me lol when you said:

” I think Naughty Dog are smarter than to fall back on a cliché like that”

Uncharted series is almost ALL cliche and rehashings of Indiana Jones, Young Indiana Jones and the Mummy film plots and idea’s.

I suppose you could call it homage but in places it’s almost identical.

66. monkeygourmet

I don’t think they would be able to sell this without lots of gunplay involved. That might be difficult if you use a young child as a lead role.

I think she will be heavily involved and the focus, but not who you play as.

I bet they bill it as forging an emotional attachement to protecting her. Hence why i think at some point you will be seperated.

67. DaMan

Something in the veins of Uncharted and Enslaved I presume, probably a RE with sticky jumps.

68. Erthazus

@57, everything you saw in the trailer will be in the game. Crappy textures, great HDR lightning, amazing art style and everything else you will see.

these faces and their animations you won’t see.

It’s an engine-trailer but was not in Real-time.

69. Sadismek

This looks amazing. Can’t wait.

70. brotherhoodofthewolf

please read my post carefully. i never said it wasn’t in-engine. please note that no-one on the dev team has said that the material in that trailer was captured from a PS3, running the graphics via that engine, in realtime.

and re “By graphical standards, it is still one of the most impressive thins on a PS3 this gen.”
    assuming it’s a pre-rendered video, there is much better quality pre-rendered video in PS3 games out there; so not sure what you’re getting at there.

71. varsas

@60 from the trailer she not the helpless type and she also seems to be the focus ie we could very well be playing her and that would be a change.

72. Lounds

Well finanlly we get a decent horror survival that has decent controls and is fun to play.

73. AHA-Lambda

looked really cool, admittedly nothing supported the whole “you won’t believe what you’ll see” crap -_-

never watching the vgas again i’ll say that

74. Kabby

Looks good for a PS3. Seems a bit of an I am Legend rip off like most have said.

Something wrong with the girls eye’s though. She looks wrong/weird.

75. polygem

looking really good, nice setting and story for a game. looks like a total “the road” rip off though.
    if you havent read the book yet or at least watched the movie….you really should

i liked the uncharted games, they are fun to play and look really good. but they are overhyped just like gta imo…but this really is just MY opinion. people say the same about halo and i always think they must be insane…its a matter of taste i guess so i can understand why people love them so much. to me they are too much like movies and i cannot tell often enough how much i dislike the charakter design of nathan “ricky martin” drake. i just dont think hes funny but he tries so hard to be…yawn.. it´s just not for me i guess…

76. KL

you guys calling it a rip off while almost every game nowadays is a rip off from other games or even movies, tv series.Do you really think that there’s still a lot of innovation left when it comes to this?
    It’s just that everyone takes from someone else and tries to make something out of it according to his perspective

77. polygem

^^
    got no problem with it if it´s executed well. but this really is totally like “the road” with monsters. must not be a bad thing….still it is a rip off – kind of.

78. albo88

its just have a good face animation nothing ells
    textures around still look console standard
    bomb dropped bahahaha

79. IL DUCE

Looks like I won’t be trading in my PS3 anytime soon…I only play the exclusives I deem worthwhile on it and this definitely looks pretty awesome depending on the game specifics…

80. Cygnar

You know, people here would take you a lot more seriously if you had any basis for your claims. Facial animation of the quality in the trailer is possible on consoles. You would know that if you had played Heavy Rain or L.A. Noire. High-quality character models are also not only possible, they’re common. Santa Monica never used LoD on the Kratos model in GoW3. God of War 3 also should have made it clear that developers are perfectly capable of inventing new tricks for old techniques, such as anti-aliasing. So why are you so sure that neither the face models nor facial animations will appear in the final game, especially when the dev team involved has been innovating constantly in the very same area since Jak and Daxter?

I do not know whether or not the VGA trailer for this game was real-time footage. But it is not a sin to admit that you do not have all the answers, Erthazus. Pretending to know everything that a team of programmers is doing does not make you look smart, it does not make you look wise, and it does not make you look honest. I can wait for the evidence to come in before deciding what to believe, and I’m sure you can too.

81. Moonwalker1982

She looks ALOT like Ellen Page there in that pic, am i the only one who thinks that? :)

82. rrw

western game need more <20 years old girl :3

83. Dimaco

Whoa!
    Totally feels like I am legend, and an interactive version of that would totally rock!
    ND are the right people to make this a win!
    Hell, I am excited!

84. Gekidami

Going off that trailer it looks like ammo will be sparse so i doubt it’ll be as focused on shooting as UC, probably more on melee.

One thing i’ve noticed is that at the start of the trailer the guy on the bed is clearly a fresh kill… And Ellie is the only one in the room with the body, then she runs out to see how the other guy is getting on. Seems to be suggesting that she offed that looter whilst Joel took care of the other one. I dont get the impression she’ll be the defenceless baggage some think.

85. monkeygourmet

I really hope not…

I think most developers now are very wary of the dreaded “escort” mission formular. Ken Levine actually made a statement surrounding that re Bioshock Infinate I think.

I’m kind of hoping for a cross between Uncharted (for the animation style and NPC interaction) and a more open world perspective to survival.

I’m actually now quite looking forward to “I’m Alive” from Ubisoft to see how a scripted survival 3rd person adventure goes…

It’ll never be close to Naughty Dog on production values being a downloadable title, but it’ll be nice to see how they build suspense in a similar style setting.

That is presuming this is 3rd person and not a FPS! :)

I still think you’ll have to rescue the girl at some point though! ;)

I hope melee isn’t the focus as you stated though, first or 3rd person melee can be tough to achieve a mildly realistic feeling to the control system. On one hand you have a untrained survivor with his bare fists, the other hand he’s taking down multiple enemies and zombies at once?! It’s a hard one to balance, something that a fire arm can cut straight through! Otherwise it’ll feel more ‘arcadey’ like dead rising…

86. bluffbluff03

The idea itself doesn´t seem to be that new. And the girl looks like Ellen Paige ;) But the graphics are amazing!

87. dravenkaze

amazing graphics yes, cant wait, should be good

88. GwynbleiddiuM

I hope this becomes what Resident Evil failed to be be.

89. DaMan

Resident Evil really doesn’t need even more scripted events, qtes or sticky jumps. Let alone cover systems.

. Or fungus at that.

90. Gheritt White

Will this get ported to a proper console?

91. YoungZer0

@90: You mean PS4? I doubt it.

92. YoungZer0

@80:

“So why are you so sure that neither the face models nor facial animations will appear in the final game”

He isn’t sure, he’s stupid. That’s that. Whenever some new video, saying it’s real-time footage, he doubts that, argues and in the end, is always wrong. It’s routine work.

93. Mike

“If this game has even half the magic of the Uncharted 3, this will still be a masterpiece.”

lol

You people need to play some video games.

94. Noodlemanny

I really didn’t think the graphics were that amazing. Maybe its just cos everyone keeps on going on about it I’ve just stopped noticing.
    It’s Naughty Dog so unless they pull another Uncharted 1 (which I really didn’t like but loved the second) this should be a proper treat.