Borderlands “really about the loot”, sequel to be less repetitive

Friday, 9th December 2011 03:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Gearbox is working to ensure the core mechanics of Borderlands make it into the sequel in bigger and better form.

“What we’re trying to do in this game … Borderlands is really about the loot, about the mechanic of levelling up and getting new gear,” concept designer Scott Kester said in a 2KTV episode on Borderlands 2.

“[We're] focusing a lot more on the actual gun content creation, making those really interesting and fun, and [on having] a new thing around every corner, a new loot.

“I think [we're] focusing and doubling down on what our core was, designing the best characters and guns and environments we could to make the loot as interesting as possible.

“The guns this time around are so much better. they look different, they do different things. There’s a lot more gear that’s dropped.”

Kester said the first game’s loot was too “granluar”, with little to distinguish one set from the next, and that this time around, an emphasis on variety should address criticisms of repetitiveness.

See the full episode below. Borderlands 2 is expected in the third quarter of 2012, on major platforms.

Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. HauntaVirus

WOOT! stoked!

2. Edo

ZOMG!

3. silkvg247

Can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait

4. Lord Gremlin

Really dislike that meat block with beard that is main character. Well, perhaps there are multiple characters to choose from?

5. silkvg247

Of course there’ll be multiple to chose from, it’s borderlands :p

6. OrbitMonkey

Maybe they can focus on a story too. Playing Borderlands on your own was fucking dull -_-

7. YoungZer0

@6: Agreed. I had no motivation to play it at all. “Get to the vault, it’ll make you rich.”

But, i don’t want to be rich, or whatever it does.

8. silkvg247

I just loved it for what it was, a FPS with level ups and loot :)

Clocked up like 70 hours solo.

9. OrbitMonkey

I played RAGE & thought, “this game needs level-ups & loot”. Then I remembered Borderlands and realised they both needed better stories, cuz I honestly stopped giving a fuck half way through both.

10. silkvg247

I don’t dispute a better story would help the game, but I understood it to be 90% fps 10% rpg and didn’t lose sleep over it.

Was dissapointed with the ending too, but still replayed it and played all the DLC.

11. OrbitMonkey

Tbh Borderlands helped me sleep ;-)