Battlefield 3 PC patches locked to Origin

Friday, 9th December 2011 05:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EA and DICE have told Ausgamers that there are no plans to release PC patches for Battlefield 3 outside of Origin. After a recent 3.6GB patch, fans had requested the updates be released as stand-alone files to allow for faster, unmetered download speeds from ISP-hosted mirrors, but to no avail.

1. Acinixys

This is the STUPIDEST idea in the world. What is their reasoning for this? It cant be anything logical. I know at least 10 people who i could have given the installer to (if there was one). Here in South Africa, internet is retardedly expensive, so most poeple only have 356kb lines. 4GB on a 356k is HORRIBLE. Well done EA, you fools.

2. John117

What? the time they used complaining, they could have used to just start the download and it would have been finished. I see no problem with this, but I have a good internet connection so why should I..

3. Droid

Hmm my patch was 3.9gb. I feel special now. :) Anyone know if you can remove any files installed from that latest patch? It’s totally filled up my ssd drive. :( Is the ‘Update’ folder with ‘patch’ and ‘xpack1′ folders still necessary after the patch has installed itself?

4. B.E.S.O

I deleted the game already, not only because of the patch, but the whole origin thing forced me hate it!

5. TheBlackHole

Yeah, I don’t get the problem with this.

Quit whining :p

6. freedoms_stain

@3, Origin caches game installers by default, may do the same for patch installers, you can clear your cache and customise the settings for caching in the cog menu.

Personally the patch downloaded very quickly for me, on a par with the competition, but I do feel for the plight of those such as #1 describes.