Video shows Skyrim being played with Kinect on PC

Tuesday, 6th December 2011 19:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

An industrious Skyrim modder has posted a video showing how the PC version of the game works with Kinect. As shown in the video below, using a Blootuth headset the voice control component of Kinect is used for shouts and menu navigation, and of course, the techs prerequisite arm-swinging will implement weapon and magic attacks. Links for how he implemented the tech are through the YouTube link here. Thanks, CVG.

1. Froseidon

Teabag to sneak. Classy.

2. Moonwalker1982

This is actually very well done, wow.

3. John117

Microsoft should hire these guys!

4. NiceFellow

Good effort by the guys, but I’m as ever left wondering why?

Does the voice stuff make sense, sure – I’d use that tomorrow and it’s a shame the game doesn’t have voice commands. Does awkwardly gesturing and tea-bagging around make sense? No.

It’s kind of cool to do but simply isn’t better (voice bits aside which really are good) than a controller.

The problem I see with Kinect is the desire to use it “just because” via motion controls when just using the voice capabilities would be better.

I want to see people find ways to use Kinect that are better – not just technically proving you can sorta use it in a worse way than available controls.

Ah, the life of a cynic who prefer the best tool for the job in hand.

5. Gekidami

Yeah, its nice for a demo, but overall just impractical and pointless for realistic use. …Actually that sums up Kinect as a whole pretty well.

6. Erthazus

Very well done, but playing with kinect is just a big frustration.

By the time he selected all the items he need i could finish these guys with style by using my mouse and keyboard.

7. itsucks

last two comments, the usual pieces of shit (3) suspects.

8. freedoms_stain

@7, counting yourself in that number bro? I’d count you before either of them.

I think it’s cool the depth of control they got out of kinect, but yeah, as others have pointed out, don’t really want to play like that. Even the voice commands, while novel, with a keyboard I’ve got plenty of faster options for hot keys. Maybe if I was playing with a gamepad voice would be of more use.