THQ to announce “very exciting” new title this month, says Bilson

Tuesday, 6th December 2011 07:56 GMT By Johnny Cullen

THQ is set to announce a “very exciting” new game at some point this month, THQ core mouthpiece Danny Bilson’s said.

Speaking to AusGamers, it’ll be a title that will release next year.

“We actually have a game we haven’t announced yet and I can’t announce tonight — but we will be around December — that’ll be coming out next year that is also very exciting,” he said in a short quote on it when asked about the publisher’s 2012.

Protip: we’re going to guess a VGA unveil this weekend.

Another protip: the Turtle Rock effort’s been promised for an unveil this year, and Bilson teased new inSane stuff for the VGAs at E3. Let the guessing games begin.

1. Christopher Jack

Dawn of War!!! If it hasn’t returned to its roots to some extent, I probably won’t bother.

2. DSB

Left for dead is a pretty appropriate metaphor for where THQ is at these days.

I’d like to see a proper strategy game from Relic, but then I’d also like to see a proper Red Faction game from Volition. I don’t really see it happening.

While we’re at it, why not a Darksiders game that does more than spoof Zelda?

3. GrimRita

@1 If only it will. I doubt this will be DoW3 – but if it is, then yes, it MUST return to its roots. The original DoW was one of THE best RTS games I have played in ages online.

4. Erthazus

@2, THQ is not Left for dead because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt5e2OX9FUk

This thing is going to be huge. People wanted MMO in this universe for like 15 years already and here is everything what you need. From great new looking engine to great gameplay (TPS mechanic is also included) unlike some companies with Star Wars brand that can’t do their math and job right.

5. DSB

@4 Time will tell. Dark Milennium isn’t making money for anybody right now.

Basically THQ is cheaper than a Polish sawmill at this point. If they can be worth that little without being bought out by Activision or EA, I’d say there’s a pretty big problem.

6. Maximum Payne

This is actually project from turtle rock that made L4D and now they are making new exacting new IP for THQ.
    This is actually confirmed I am not bulshiting :D

7. Edo

#2 Darksiders is like Zelda?In which way(not arguing but simply asking since I did not play any Zelda games)?

8. Maximum Payne

@7 Darksiders is like Zelda meet God of War.

9. Edo

#8 Meets Devil May Cry.

10. absolutezero

The entire structure of the first Darksiders was lifted wholesale from Zelda. Open World/hub leading to dungeons with puzzles and combat. New gadgets found inside those dungeons that are used in both puzzles and defeating the boss (every single time).

Darksiders 2 seems to be keeping a similar structure but upping the speed and adding in RPG elements. If thats enough to differentiate it then good because everything else in Darksiders was nice enough.

THQ have some fucking amazing IP and have helped to create some of my favourite games, like helping to bank roll Stalker and finally get it released, all the Relic titles, Metro and the Volition stuff. It seems like THQ exist in a games industry that does not care anymore though. If they do go down then I hope to God some of the studios manage to escape.

and not go to Activition or EA thnx.

de Blob!

11. Maximum Payne

@10 Agree I hope Metro:Last Light will rock !

12. BloodSaint

LOL, EA has done their math very well actually. Just looking at their preorders in the US alone 4 weeks before launch is at 900,000. http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php?reg=USA&date=40874
    EA have also stated that SW:TOR is their most pre ordered game in company history, which must indicate it has more preorders than BF3 which sold more than 5 million in it’s first week. Sorry to tell you this, but Star wars is a much huger brand than Warhammer and they will at least have twice the number of subscriptions on launch week compared with Warhammer’s launch week.

13. DSB

@7 I’ve only watched my significant other play Zelda, but it looks 90% identical to me.

It’s just simple combat mechanics based on various combos and contexts. Darksiders certainly doesn’t go any further than that.

@12 It doesn’t matter if you sell 10 million on launch. You’re not looking for single transactions, you’re looking for the highest possible rate of re-ups, which to my mind is a lot harder than simply selling a game, since you have to actually sell people the idea that they want to keep paying for it for six months to a year.

14. Erthazus

Darksiders is not only Zelda, it’s uninspied god Of War, world Of warcraft, Half-Life 2, Prototype and etc.

Devs of that game tried to put ideas from other games and zero of it’s own.

15. IL DUCE

Yeah definitely Turtle Rock’s next FPS…I’m game

@2 THQ said they would no longer be making Red Faction games after Armageddon’s underwhelming performance and general quality