Nintendo acknowledges game-breaking Skyward Sword bug

Tuesday, 6th December 2011 23:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A Nintendo representative has warned players to avoid a particular sequence of actions if they want to see the end of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

“We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue,” a Nintendo spokesperson said in an email published by ZeldaInformer.

“I wish I had a better answer, but I’m afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.”

The problem occurs if players fetch the song of the Thunder Dragon from Lanaryu Mine; speak with Golo the Goron inside the Mine; finish the Thunder Dragon sequence; and then return to speak with Golo before leaving for the forest or volcano region. Speaking with Golo somehow blocks both the forest and volcano sequences from triggering, leaving players unable to finish the questline and hence the game.

Nintendo advises players to collected the Fire and Water Dragon songs first, and to avoid talking to Golo in the Mine.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is available now, exclusively for Wii.

1. Dannybuoy

Reminds me of a similar glitch in another Zelda title that broke the game. Might have been Wind Waker. Involved a room with a telescope that trapped you in with no way out. I love a good game breaking glitch me.

2. FeaturePreacher

Man, it’s a good thing Nintendo has a internet connected console where they can easily patch this error, oh wait. Well maybe in 2012 they will, maybe.

3. Ireland Michael

@2 In especially serious circumstances, Nintendo will insert a patch for these kind of problems straight into their firmware updates.

It’s admittedly a cumbersome solution, but the option is still there.

4. DSB

They’d pretty much have to. Otherwise it’s time for a class action followed by either a recall or a massive payout.

5. Phoenixblight

Uh no. Like Danny had said there was a similar bug in Majora’s mask that if you did a quest in the wrong manner it breaks the game.

There will be no law suit or major pay out for this. It really doesn’t make sense to do it in the way they describe that creates the bug.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Didn’t put that in the IGN review, did they??

7. Dannybuoy

That’s it, Majora’s Mask. Thanks, that was bugging me.

8. Runcle

I remember there was one in Twilight Princess too, something about saving in a particular room.

9. Joe Musashi

Hmm. And only the other day I was being told how Nintendo always put the extra time required to always make their games perfect before release. I know a number of Zelda games have fatal bugs in and also Wii Paper Mario. So, in this regard, Nintendo is no better than anyone else.

And, yes, you have to wonder at the competence of reviewers that give perfect scores to broken software. Who are they writing their reviews for? The consumer or the game publisher?

JM

10. freedoms_stain

@9, I think asking reviewers to detect and score accordingly based on incredibly rare bugs is a bit much.

I think going for base honesty would be more of an appropriate start anyway.

11. ManuOtaku

I Think it is very difficult to detect this kind of bugs during the testing process, because is needed a link of certain actions in order to triger it, thats different than bugs that occur during normal playtime that it is in your power to detect and correct before release, Having said that, this issue does tarnished a little the nintendo image of making the best games possible, gameplay wise and bug free in some eyes, having said that i think nintendo tries to make the best game possible and this examples are the exception not the rule, moreso if we take the number of games developed by nintendo over the years and the number of this particular cases.