Assassin’s Creed “meta story” could be “carried on forever”

Friday, 2nd December 2011 20:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Despite the fact an Assassin’s Creed has been released every year for the past three years, doesn’t mean it only takes the Ubisoft team a year to make the entries.

“One of the difficulties is dealing with the perceptions that [we] didn’t spend enough time developing the game,” said Ubisoft senior VP of sales and marketing Tony Key in an interview with [a]list.

“There’s this misperception about the brand that we keep making [Assassin's Creed] once a year, and we only spend a year on it… we’ve got a studio in Montreal with 2,000 people working on stuff. Not all are on Assassin’s Creed but many are, and so are many studios around the world. Missions made in Bucharest and there’s the multiplayer from Singapore. The DNA is owned and operated by Ubisoft Montreal but it is crafted by a lot of people.

“We work on it a lot longer than one year and that’s part of it; we have multiple studios. Assassin’s Creed is a blueprint brand. What that means is it has a lot of resources focused onto it. We constantly have people thinking about it, so we have a lot of people working on future iterations, while these games are being made we’re already thinking about the next one.

“I hope people are getting over the idea that we rush them out; we don’t make Assassin’s Creed games in one year. That’s something we want people to understand, and hopefully the message can get out.”

Because Ubisoft is always brainstorming on what to do next, key said the series’ “meta story” could be “carried on forever” if the firm wanted to do so, due to the way “it’s constructed.”

The next Assassin’s Creed is expected sometime next year, and various rumblings have it taking place in China, Egypt, and various other locales.

Thanks, IndustryGamers.

1. Thalius

Of course you spent more then a year per game, thats why the characters are the same, the game assets are the same and the unrefined little things that came up from time to time are in every AC game not to mention the worst MP ever created. All becase you take your time making this games…

2. Ireland Michael

@1 “not to mention the worst MP ever created”

wut?

3. triggerhappy

@ 1: Yeh, whaaat??

4. FredEffinChopin

Whether it’s technically speaking rushed or not, they’re abusing the series at this point. Just because they can crap these games out at will doesn’t mean they should, and reviews of the most recent installment seem to indicate that they have passed the point of comfort with the series and are reaching for ways to innovate it. No matter how big is, AC needed more time in the oven before another release. Even if not to make more worthwhile and meaningful changes, just to rebuild some excitement for the series. I can’t speak for all, but I know I speak for many when I say that Brotherhood is still hot from the console over here. I’m not ready to plunk down cash for another AC title so soon.

5. DarkElfa

@1, Oh shut up. I’m the cynical fucker on this site.

6. Ireland Michael

@5 I thought that was my job.

Or was it DSB?

I can never quite remember…

7. viralshag

You’re all a bunch of cynical bastards…. Entertaining ones at that though for the the most part. And that’s ok with me.

On a totally separate note, I just started using Chrome and can’t get over how much faster it is than Firefox.

8. Maximum Payne

@7 What firefox have you used ? I used firefox 9 beta and and has very similar performance but still little bit slower then chrome/opera.

9. revolting

Carried on forever? Carried on for as long as it’s profitable, more like.

Not that that’s a bad thing; I really enjoy AC and the universe of lore they’ve cobbled together around it. Pretty much the best thing Ubisoft have done (in my opinion), and now that Sam Fisher is a bit too old and tired for regular outings, you can’t fault them for getting as much mileage out of it as possible.

10. Gheritt White

For me, AC:B was the pinnmacle of the series – AC:R felt rushed as fuck, with too little necessary content and far too much ancillary padding. Plus, only one proper city to explore and no horses. Definitely rushed.