Fils-Aime: Wii U to appeal to a “different consumer”

Thursday, 1st December 2011 06:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime doesn’t expect much overlap between the consumers the company’s targeting now, and those it will target with the Wii U.

“The consumer buying Wii hardware today is going to be a different consumer than the one who will be buying Wii U in the future,” Fils-Aime told TIME.

“This is the first holiday that the Wii is available at $149.99 or below, so its an expanded demographic we’re reaching. These are consumers who have heard about Wii for the past couple years, but at $199 or $249 it was economically out of their reach.

“We haven’t announced pricing for Wii U, but you can definitely expect that pricing is going to be different and that the games are going to be different.”

Fils-Aime reiterated Nintendo’s intent to continue supporting legacy consoles.

“We do believe that Wii and Wii U will coexist for some time. As we drive the install base of Wii, we’re really setting people up to take their gaming library and be able to transfer it over to Wii U,” he added.

“First, at this point in time there are more than 37 million units of Wii in the U.S., which is a huge install base to sell into,” he said.

“At this point in the Wii’s life cycle, you’ve got new consumers just looking to get into the franchise and they’re looking for that one great game to play or one great game to gift and Skyward Sword fits that bill.”

Thanks, GoNintendo.

[image]

1. Peetry

I am really worried for Nintendo these days, I have no confidence in the Wii U being a success. Dusted of my Wii to play Zelda which btw looks like complete ass on my tv, decent as always but only short lived appeal. Other than that I am officially declaring the Wii dead, 1st party has switched to U and 3rd party gave up ages ago. The U gimmick better work or Nintendos days are numbered IMO

2. Suikoden Fan

PPokemon HD (like the main handheld series) and it will sell shit tons

3. triggerhappy

I just bought a Wii, Skyward Sword & a Component Cable 30 min’s ago. Sitting looking at it right now still in its box. Going to make some lunch then get swinging.

4. ManuOtaku

“Although the console is in its last days, Skyward Sword launched as the fastest-selling Legend of Zelda gamer ever , something the president attributes to several factors..

And i also believe is because is the best motion control game ever, and future motion control tittles will be messured by it, and i though red steel 2 did nail the motion controls 8D

5. Joe Musashi

I very much doubt any meaningful percentage of sales of Skyward Sword were down to it being a motion-control game.

JM

6. DarkElfa

Nintendo is going to innovate itself into oblivion if they keep this up. What they really needed to do was build a monster game rig that could compete with Sony and MS and instead they’re trying to merge a Wii and an iPad into some new kind of screwed up hegemony of gaming wonderfuck.

7. Erthazus

I don’t see there even an iPad. That thing can’t do even multitouch. Ps vita have multitouch… lol.

I will never buy this thing, i will wait for the Wii U emulator on my PC and will play games on 2560×1600, if i will ever play them of course… I’m not a big fan of buying the same system again for 249$ to play the same multiplatform titles with … Zelda.

Judging by the reports that thing have R700 which means it’s just a small little update to Xbox360/PS3

8. Deacon

I agree with most comments here and think they’re making the WiiU just to be seen to be innovative (though it’s most definitely not, and certainly won’t be by the time the thing actually ships).

But, Nintendo will undoubtedly assign a huge chunk of their bankroll on marketing, pulling fuckwit ‘celebrities’ from Ant and Dec to Jedward into shitty white-washed ads that WILL WITHOUT DOUBT pull the casual crowd into thinking that this is indeed the next big thing in gaming.

9. ManuOtaku

I think the Wii U will do fine, like the Ds and Wii before it, it is a very innovative system with a lot of potential, if someone can make it happen is nintendo, i still remember how many critics and gamers alike dismiss the Ds and Wii for the exact same reasons and here we are, still both selling good numbers.
    P.S and the 3Ds is picking up momentum

10. CptKurk

Blue Ocean Strategy – that’s what Nintendo is all about. It’s high-risk but potentially rewarding beyond belief.

Besides, we’re past the age of assessing a car by its horsepower. Everyone except Jeremy Clarkson and his ilk, of course.

11. deathgaze

Fool me once, Reggie. I’m having serious deja vu here. Didn’t he say this back before the GameCube tanked? I think he did.

12. Psychotext

I wont be fooled again Nintendo.

/middle finger