PlayStation Vita UMD Passport list published, major publishers AWOL

Wednesday, 30th November 2011 23:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Capcom, Namco Bandai, Konami and Square Enix are yet to indicate their participation in the Vita’s UMD Passport scheme, which assists players in porting their PSP collection to the new hardware.

Sony has published a list of 262 games which will be included in the scheme.

Siliconera reports the list representes less than one third of the 606 PSP titles available on the Japanese PlayStation Network.

Atlus, Nippon Ichi, Acquire, Tecmo Koei, SNK Playmore, and Cyberfront have all opted into the scheme, but other publishers are apparently yet to commit.

The Passport scheme has players register their UMD copy of a game, after which they’ll be able to purchase a digital copy of the same game at a lower price – ranging from ¥500 ($6.40) to ¥1500 ($19.20). Other territories are yet to announce similar support.

Recent changes to the company’s multiple-device rules mean it’s not clear whether Sony will handle allow Vita owners to download digital games purchased and activated on PSPs to their new hardware,

1. AxMxH

I will never pay penny to transfer my goods from my PSP to Vita , fk this shit =.= , my psp will be at home if i got H0rny and want to play those “games” I will on old psp…instead of pay $ to get it with same graphic and taking size from my new vita’s memory

2. Cygnar

I’m pretty sure 262 is more than a third of 606. Oh well, minor mistake.

There are a couple of outliers on the price list here. It looks like there’s one game at the 100-yen low (Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku Wo), and one other hits a staggering 2700-yen high (Daito Giken Koushiki Pachislot Simulator). The vast majority of games–even new ones–are 500 or 1000 yen. Given the typical price ranges of games in Japan, the Passport scheme doesn’t exactly smack of price gouging.

The low prices explain why publishers may be hesitant to sign on with this program. They really won’t see much money from new customers downloading games from the Passport service if people start sharing their UMDs around.

3. KrazyKraut

wow…..5 € to 15 €? Too much…thought about 2 € to 5 €.

So they want us to pay twice.I have games in our collection which cost me 40 €….Sony I am disappointed son.

4. Suikoden Fan

the thing is, you have to pay to ‘port’ the games over but then you need a memory card big enough to store how many games you port, that could turn the cost quite high. Also people with psp games not from the region they live in properly wont get supported either. Shame really.

5. Cygnar

That’s 5 to 15 Euros’ worth in Japan, where the prices of games ranges from the equivalent of 45 to 70 Euros. It’s cheap considering any jackass can borrow a UMD from a friend and legally download a game he didn’t already own for 5 or 10 EUR.