Keighley takes blurry bullshit VGA hype to seventh level

Wednesday, 30th November 2011 08:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

GameTrailers’ Geoff Keighley’s posted a terrible picture of a VGA billboard on Times Square on Twitter, promising it contains “cool world premiere news”.

If you squint really, really hard, you’ll see it says, “A PS3 exclusive you won’t believe,” as deciphered by VG247′s Gekidami.

Pretty sure we will believe it, to be honest. Unless there’s been some kind of tear in the universal fabric it’ll be a shiny thing about hitting or shooting enemies. Either that or Cage’s next game.

In fact, the only thing I really can’t believe is that I wrote this post. Who’s the idiot now, Pat? It’s fucking slow: what am I supposed to do? Shut up, Pat.

The VGAs take place on December 10. It’s already been confirmed that it’s going to include a look at BioWare’s next game, which is being strongly tipped as a new C&C title.

1. Johnny Cullen

You’ve sold out.

2. Patrick Garratt

Oh the irony.

3. OrphanageExplosion

Until there’s a viable, non-bullshit process of deciding the winners of the awards, they are a complete and utter waste of time. The Neil Patrick Harris debacle (best voice acting for, er, Spider-Man) annihilated any scintilla of credibility this rancid farrago ever had.

4. xino

Geoff is always Mr Hyper.

they spent a lot of money just to get that on board.

but anyway…he’s doing all these so people can watch his show.

Which is great, sooner or later VGA’s will become as big as E3. (not talking about convention)

5. StolenGlory

Can we keep up the neurotic monologues please Pat? They’re making my morning 100% more entertaining :)

6. Erthazus

Geoff Keighley is a master of overhyping shit.

7. J.L

News story of the year

8. mongbatstar

Is there an award for mental breakdown of the year?

9. PsychoboyUK

This is one reason i said “I HOPE IT HURT THE GOBBY PRICK” When i found out one of his XBL accounts was hacked!!!!

Now i’m not usually one to fuel rumors! BUT I said to a mate a few months ago that Sony where going to be bringing something “Exclusive” New and something that will surprise the industry!! And with these kind of things i’m very rarely wrong!!

When i worked in GAME I pegged PS3 slims EXACT Announcement/Launch almost a year before it happened Then the guys over @ UltimatePlaystation Broke it only a week later! I also predicted “PSP 2″ (Now VITA) would launch early 2012 way back in 2010!! And got laughed at by workmates and SONY REPS! Well Whose Laughing now FOOLS!!!!

Sorry for the rant had to get that one off my chest and this seemed the best place and topic to do it on. So believe what you will!! I have been Wrong Once or Twice I Will admit but when i have a feeling that this (Regardless of picture taker or not) is something that will be surprising! i’m usually about 75% of the time correct!

10. StolenGlory

@9 Ha, I know *EXACTLY* where you are coming from.

I used to be the store manager of my local GAME store and the Sony reps (or at least the ones I dealt with) were the most cocky, arrogant, ignorant swagger-strutting cunts I have ever met in my life.

11. PsychoboyUK

StolenGlory THANK YOU!!! Someone agrees with me!!

I often wondered if there was anyone else that shared my pain lol

12. YoungZer0

I still respect the guy, he was protecting Mass Effect on Fox News. Takes some guts (or stupidity) to go on Fox News and protect something.

13. Freek

This is how you get nominated for prestiges news media awards! :p

And the dumb thing is; the more they hype reveals the less meaningfull the awards become. Spike TV already means nothing, but this shit just further confirms it’s just advertising and not a celebration of talent in games development.

14. PsychoboyUK

@12 agreed there Mate!

15. life28

on the billboard there is “Metal Gear Solid Rising” , “A PS3 Exclusive” and “Tribute to Legend Of Zelda”

16. Ashwin

@PyschoboyUK

Your handle is pretty much right on the money. Kudos.

17. PsychoboyUK

@ashwin To be fair i got the Handle via “Real World” antics more than anything else and i kinda stuck lol.

But hey say/think what you like I can take it ;) but yeah I don’t expect anyone to believe me im used to it!

18. Gekidami

Apparently some people reckon this PS3 exclusive might be GTAV (to which no platforms have been announced yet), the unbelievable part being that it isnt multiplat.
    I think it might actually be this Sony Smash Bros. game we’ve been hearing about though.

19. OrbitMonkey

A ps3 exclusive I won’t believe eh? Half-Life 3? :-D

20. StolenGlory

I think you’re probably right about the Sony Smash Bros thing.

Part of me though, really wants it to be Agent.

21. Lahanas

“PS3 exclusive you wont believe” = the sony brawler that has been rumored for the last few days. Nothing to see here, move on people.

22. Ashwin

@Psychoboy

I’m only ribbing. Getting the release dates of both the slim and Vita close is pretty good. However, saying “I predict Sony will do something exclusive and a surprise!” is very nebulous. There is nothing concrete in that statement. Let’s face it: EVENTUALLY all the platform holders will so something that is exclusive and a surprise.

Here, I’ll give it a shot. I predict Microsoft will announce a new Xbox sometime over the next 12 months!!!

If you want to be seen a prophetic, state what this VGA exclusive is. Then we’ll see if you really are an oracle.

23. Christopher Jack

Pretty sure that this PS3 exclusive will be the Super Smash Bros-like game. That ‘believe’ part is what makes me think this, coming from Sony’s marketing slogan, make.believe.

24. PsychoboyUK

I would be inclined to agree with the smash bros thing!!

25. Fin

The exclusive probably won’t be first-party, as that wouldn’t be as big a surprise as they’re making it out to be.

26. PsychoboyUK

would love it to be getaway 3 :) but alas I think that died the day eyepet was announced *Sniff*

but they say we won’t be expecting/won’t believe!! Time will tell but all this brawler talk coming seems inline with sony’s Secret keeping policy!!!

But will go out on a limb and say that BUNGIE have been quite quiet as of late (Yes i know they are multi-platform now) but they did say some time ago that they would like to do an Exclusive for sony! but let’s see what the VGA’s tell us!!!

@ashwin I agree with you but without relevant evidence any person that predicts anything are going off rumors/news from the holders themselves!! And to be fair Microsoft have all but announced their new machine lol all they need to do is Confirm the rumors ;)!

I also think Sony Will Possibly announce or Possibly tease and show PS4 @ E3 next year! Let’s see what time does!

27. Aimless

@25 On the other hand Keighley oversells everything — it’s his job as Spike hype-man — so you shouldn’t read into his comments too much. Basically this is going to be EyePet: New Hat Edition.

(I concur that the Smash Bros alike is the most probable candidate.)

28. Gizkata

After some of the shit Keighley has gone out with in the past I just ignore it now.

29. JimFear-666

fuck that shit… Keighley is well known to overhype his shitty show every year…

30. OrphanageExplosion

Any one remember last year’s veritable reality bomb of a Sony exclusive? It turned out to be the new SOCOM.

31. Gekidami