NVIDIA releases SE GTX 560 Ti with 448 CUDA cores

Tuesday, 29th November 2011 17:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Zotac’s announced the release of its special edition GPU, the NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti with 448 CUDA cores. It runs at 1.46GHz, contains 1.25GB of GDDR5 memory clocking at 3800MHz, with the engine clocking at 765MHz.

Geared towards those running DX11, the card will run you around the $289 mark, and will allow for up to three of the cards to operate together which provides “up to 2.8-times the performance” of a single card.

General details

• Shader Clock: 1530 MHz
  • Memory Clock speed: 3800 MHz
  • Memory: 1280MB GDDR5
  • Memory interface: 320-bit
  • Display Outputs: Dual DVI, HDMI & DisplayPort
  • HDCP: Yes
  • Cooling: With fan (dual-slot)
  • DirectX version:DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0
  • Other hardware features: Hardware accelerated Blu-ray 3D ready
  • Software Features: Hardware Video Decode Acceleration Technology, NVIDIA CUDA technology, OpenGL 4.2
  • Windows 7 capability: Windows 7 with DirectCompute support

Shots of the hardware are posted below, and a list of GTX 560 Ti reviews can be found over on Engadget.

1. Fin

Seems a bit much – you could get an Xbox or PS3 and a few games for the same price, and they’d look just as good.

2. DSB

Wrong ^^

3. Phoenixblight

Oh so very wrong with that statement. Very very wrong. Play SKyrim or Witcher 2 on the PC with this bad boy and you would easily realize how wrong you were.

4. Razor

Too bad there’s no game out there taking advantage of all this.

In fact, it’s quite sad to think about all the GFX cards that have gone to waste over the years, simply because the goalposts keep changing.

No-one will ever see what this card is truly capable of…unless it happens to take a seat in the PS4 or Xbox 720, which seems unlikely.

5. OlderGamer

I don’t know DSBand PB, I am a PC gamer too, but what Fin said is basicly the way most people look at PC gaming rigs. And for good reason. Not only do you need to buy the video card, but the PC to house and power it.

PC gaming is a hard sell. Plus even most people that do game on PC, won’t have the really high end stuff. So most of the medium/low end pc gaming hardware has even less of a difference between it and console games. I even find some console games run/look better on console then they do on PC. In a tough economy it is hard to juistify the expense of dedicated PC gaming.

Most folks will buy said xbox or PS3, and handfull of games rather then invest in a gaming rig.

6. Talkar

I played games such as Battlefield 1942 and all the way up to StarCraft 2 and BF3 in 3D. I played games with DX11 such as Saints Row: The Third (also in 3D). And i’ve watched blu-ray movies in 3D on my computer too, so what exactly is it that no games are taking advantage of?

7. OlderGamer

You gotta remember that no one is really doubting that a BMW is a better car. Just saying that for most people they are just as happy getting a Toyota. It just makes more economical sense.

8. DSB

That’s still completely missing the point OG. This is aimed at people who want a BMW, not the people who are quite content with a console.

Of course you can have just as much fun on a console, but obviously, if you’re into keeping your PC upgraded, then this is the kind of difference that you want to pay for.

If you’re buying a new graphics card and you’re serious about it, then you’ll never go for a middle of the line card. You’ll save and get the top notch card, because ultimately that’ll keep you going for a lot longer.

9. OlderGamer

“That’s still completely missing the point OG. This is aimed at people who want a BMW, not the people who are quite content with a console”

Fully agreed.

10. Maximum Payne

@8 Exactly
    Well this graphic card is for 1080p/60 frames so….

11. Erthazus

“And in the end, for the mass numbers/gamers, there is little graphical difference between a PS360 game and a PC one.”

Little graphical differences? Oh yeah? Go see Battlefield 3 for yourself.

Or any multiplatform game on the 1080p screen (or lets go further with 2560×1600) with this small little beast and than we will talk OG.
    The difference is very significant.

This beast is for people who want the best out of their experience.

@1, “and they’d look just as good.”

in your dreams.

12. Talkar

btw, what does ATI have when it comes to special technologies that Nvidia doesn’t? Not trolling, just hoping someone can mention something, like Nvidia has PhysX and 3D Vision, i would like to know what ATI offers on that front x)

13. Razor

“And i’ve watched blu-ray movies in 3D on my computer too, so what exactly is it that no games are taking advantage of?”

The true power of the card. What you’re doing is not Earth-shattering; you’re watching current generation content in a higher resolution and higher framerate. So what?

What you’re not seeing – and will never see – is a sustained period of dedicated development for this card, because next year something else will come out, and also because it’s not in a console for developers to take advantage of.

It’s no coincidence that the best looking console games come out later in the life of the machine, after developers have really got to grips with, and gotten to understand the card.

That’s why next generation is so exciting, because we will finally get to see developers properly take advantage of powerful cards. Obviously that won’t be a 560, but something certain to be substantial.

To me, playing PC games in 1080p, 3D and 120fps is not taking advantage of the card; it’s simply taking something and running it faster. That’s what PS3 remasters do, and no-one would say that that is some huge leap, because it’s not.

14. DSB

@12 Not a tech geek, but I jumped the fence and got an ATI card once, and that’s not ever going to happen again. I’ve never seen a company be so bad at supporting their own products. Installing drivers was hell, and you could pretty much just sit and wait for the next game that wouldn’t support ATI cards properly, so you’d have some “rare” glitch that left it unplayable.

nVidia aren’t perfect and they might not be as geek-chic, but there’s no way I’m wasting time and money on ATI again.

15. Maximum Payne

@12 Ati have eyefinity and I think it support 3D.
    @14 When you did you buy Ati ? 2002 ?

16. Phoenixblight

I call bullshit. The difference is that people assume there is no difference and are willing to buy a console because of the ability to plug in and play. Everyone knows that on the PC the game will look better depending on your system.

I had bought this PC for 700$(2 years ago) which had a quad core, a decent card 460 GTX and a Powersupply to support it. I had improved the PSU to 750 watts(60$) and bought a 580 GTX(roughly 300$ with some discounts).Thats roughly 530$ a year so far and I plan on using this system for another 2 years. I use my PC about 80% of my time and 20% I play on my consoles when it is a rental or an exclusive.
    Yeah that may seem expensive if you want PC to play games explicitly compared to getting a PS3 or Xbox 360 but I don’t use my PC in that fashion. I use it to create assets, create projects using engines like CryEngine 3, UDK, Unity along with coding all my games. I know what I would use my PC for and so I bought my PC to fit my needs along with being able to play games. Playing games on this rig is just an added perk. I can get the cost argument and thats a valid point but to say a PC game looks like console game is a fabrication.

That’s Skyrim and Skyrim is using DX9 on the PC and it still looks substantially better. I am not part of the crowd that says PC gaming is better or better eye candy makes a better game. It doesn’t but it is an added perk to playing the game on the PC.

17. DSB

@15 It was sometime around 2003-2006 I think. I remember playing F.E.A.R. and the expansion packs, where the expansion packs were unplayable because the ATI cards couldn’t handle reflections.

It was just ridiculously bad. Catalyst was a fucking horrible system for upgrading drivers, whereas nVidia customers would have theirs done in 2 seconds.

Based on that experience, I’m completely done with ATI. I’m only going to switch from nVidia if someone better comes along.

18. Talkar

Intel Integrated Graphics!
    (sorry, couldn’t resist :P )

19. DSB

@18 I think my dad has that :D

It runs Toca Race Driver 3 like a BEAST.

20. Maximum Payne

@17 I agree in that period Ati wasn’t shining but I have ati 5770 and not a single problem like crashes or bad performance even games Like Sabateur worked fine(after patch).Trust me those days are over just like incompatibility between CPU and GPU…

21. MegaGeek1

IMO the BMW vs Toyota analogy doesnt work here. A better analogy would be, “why would I buy a BMW 335i when I can have the same luxury experience and 3/4s the fun driving a BMW 328i?”

22. Erthazus

@Razor, it’s not just 120 fps or 1080p. It’s direct X10-11 effects and better textures and shaders.

there is a huge difference and yes, there are games that use it for the full potential even to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdbdsFgNGI look for this for example. Go see witcher II or METRO 2033 on the PC and you will see the difference.

@Talkar, better durability and MLAA in some games.

@MegaGeek1, ““why would I buy a BMW 335i when I can have the same luxury experience and 3/4s the fun driving a BMW 328i?””

Why? because first of all to say something like this you need to sit on that luxury car and see the difference for yourself first of all.

In other words, that bad boy aka 560Ti is a significant thing for gaming.

Want the real analogy? Here you go: Wii and PS3. There is a difference, right?

thats where is the difference between Xbox 360/PS3 and PC. Thats the analogy if you have that videocard.

23. MegaGeek1

What I mean is you’re still driving a BMW. Sure its got a better engine, better suspension and internals, so it is much faster, has better handling, and is therefore more fun to drive, but for the average consumer who just wants to driver a BMW, to them its the same thing. Its only a real want/need for the gear heads who demand every last bit of performance.

24. Edo

That’s like 215 euros which is pretty cheap for a card that delivers this kind of performance,the ATI counterpart would have to be 6950 I think.

25. Lounds

@5 “So most of the medium/low end pc gaming hardware has even less of a difference between it and console games”.

Wrong. I have BF3 on PC, my system is a bit dated and to get a good rate of Frames per sec, I run the game in lower @1080p and I shit you not it makes the PS3 version look like PS2 and I ain’t joking, the console version of BF3 is shocking, so your statement about PC gamers playing at medium to low graphics is a load of bollocks. Wake up and smell the bacon, because this gen of consoles have gone past there sell by date.

26. albo88

i agree with the first comment
    however this is the card that you really wont this times cos really buying a gtx 570 for ported console games or bug graphic like GTA 4 is not worth it
    personalty i have a gtx 560 not TI
    and it does all my need at 1600×1050
    b4 i was using a 9600 GSO but i upgrade just for BF3 witch is still a half console port not a real PC MADE GAME

27. Kuwabara

Maybe ill buy one once games on pc surpass uncharted 2,3, gow3. Yes I’ve seen witcher.

28. Valkryst12

@27 ……… hahahah

29. UKTomm

I know I’m going to put this awfully but do you think us PC gamers spend the amount of money we do just to say “Oh, look how better this games look compared to it on your Xbox 360/PS3/Wii”? It’s all about the experience of upgrading. It’s our hobby. We enjoy doing it.

There will always be people in the world who will settle with the Toyota and there will always be people who want the BMW. We just have to learn to live with each other and respect other’s decisions.

Plus, you can do a whole lot more on a PC then a console. Phoenixblight put it beautifully in post #16.

30. tatsujin

WTB an EVGA product. Thanks.