Newell: Piracy is a “non-issue” for Valve

Monday, 28th November 2011 00:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Gabe Newell feels Steam no longer has to compete with pirates thanks to the quality of its service.

“If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24/7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate’s service is more valuable,” Newell told The Cambridge Student.

“Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customer’s use or by creating uncertainty. Our goal is to create greater service value than pirates, and this has been successful enough for us that piracy is basically a non-issue for our company.”

These latest comments echo Valve’s believe that piracy is not related to pricing.

The full interview includes some interesting discussion of eSports and a reiteration of Newell’s disgust with the restrictions enforced by console networks. Hit the link above for the whole thing.

Thanks, Gamespy.

1. S0meRand0mN00b

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

2. DSB

Nathan Grayson, Gabe Newell just called and he said you forgot about something in that last piece of yours.

3. ShiroGamer

haha, well played

4. Yoshi

‘Steam no longer has to compete with pirates thanks to the quality of its service.’

LISTEN TO THIS SIMPLE SENTENCE UBISOFT!

5. unacomn

I hereby declare burn Ubisoft week open.

6. loki

hypocrite

7. freedoms_stain

He’s right, I don’t know why he’s right, but he is. I find myself willing to wait until I can get a game for an acceptable price on Steam even after I can get the non-steam boxed product at a good price.

I haven’t pirated a game since uni, and even then I’ve bought most of the games I really liked that I pirated (mostly off Steam funnily enough).

It’s not an isolated anecdote either, I have friends who sing similar songs.

8. endgame

vg247 idk wtf r u guys doing but u should start thinking 2x about the articles that u’re writing lately. and I’m talking about the Ubisoft article in the first place. that was not only highly inaccurate but at the same time highly offensive to PC players. Nathan just because u’re a console player working for a big gaming news website it doesn’t mean u should write crap like that. it’s one when users fight each other over this stuff and another when journalists start spilling their crap on the web. u do not declare PC gaming dead when it is clearly not! u have no right!

anyway well said and well done Gabe! I myself used to pirate a lot before Steam was released but since then I only pirated 1 game that I though it was overpriced at the moment.

9. albo88

piracy have never been a issue but just a pretext for them to milk more money the typical capitalists
    u go in steam now and a dlc pack for train simulation witch is just a locomotive that is all ready in the game but it have been re skinned cost more then a 3 year old game insane

i will always keep pirating games on PC as they come always unfinished
    pirating for me is good cos it really open my eyes on to buy or not to buy the game totality different from what commercials and gaming sites payed by publisher say

10. DSB

@8 It’s just more satisfying though, isn’t it?

You can justify it all you want, but ultimately torrenting something is stealing. You’re taking something, even if it isn’t a boxed copy, and just a percieved sale, away from people who worked hard to make it.

At least for me, I reckon that’s why I stopped pirating around the time I started growing up. Ultimately you know you’re stealing, and personally I never felt very good about it, even less so as I started developing a bit of common sense.

That feeling is like the exact opposite of having a Steam client and looking at a long list of righteously purchased games that will be there whenever you need it, and which ultimately helped to support the people who made them.